Sleeve/Toy?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » June 14th, 2007, 10:52 pm

One thing I've found Caesar looooves, is when you put on an oven mitt and he can run, jump, and bite it... like a dog biting a sleeve, but not with full force. He totally lights up for it. The oven mitt is wearing thin, and I was wondering if there was anything else that could be a replacement, or if this is a bad idea all together. :|
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby DemoDick » June 14th, 2007, 11:45 pm

I'd just use a puppy tug. You can get firehose tugs at the big box pet stores. Can't remember the name but they are red. If the dog will bite gloves it should bite a tug. I don't like to encourage a dog to bite gloved hands.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Attila Magyar » June 14th, 2007, 11:51 pm

Well I don't know really. I suppose it is fine so long as you don't have a hot casserole in your hands when he sees his favorite toy. Or he doesn't get too rough with it. You may want to switch to a heavy tug o war rope or a thicker device like a industrial welding glove. However I think I would avoid putting my hand inside of it. They can get a pretty good hold on there and break a finger pretty easy. You are brave. I love playing tug o war with the dogs they love it too. I have been using felt and braiding it. Seems to out last rope and I can make it long so I can get a good foot hold and stand in a better position. Those Schultzhund mittens or arm would probably be the best thing to use if you are going to continue to play using a mitt. I don't think there is any thing wrong with playing this way, I would just want to make sure the mitt is heavy enough to keep the teeth off the skin and disperse the pressure as the dog grows stronger.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » June 14th, 2007, 11:56 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. He seems to know not to bite hard, he really doesn't come at it full force, just as he bites when we wrestle and play. He knows he can bite harder if a hand's under a blanket, versus bare, but he still knows how hard is too hard.

I'll look into the tugs, I have used any of those and I bet he'd like it. :)
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby Attila Magyar » June 15th, 2007, 12:05 am

On June 14 2007, DemoDick wrote:I'd just use a puppy tug. You can get firehose tugs at the big box pet stores. Can't remember the name but they are red. If the dog will bite gloves it should bite a tug. I don't like to encourage a dog to bite gloved hands.

Demo Dick

That is probably the best thing to do. You are right it will probably lead to a problem later on. I partly thought about that, now that I think about it, more about the hazards that can be.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » June 15th, 2007, 11:00 pm

Veronica looks for opportunities, when wrestling, to bite my shirt or sleeve, and she bites MUCH harder when she does, it's like she thinks she can't hurt you there because there's no flesh. :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby DemoDick » June 15th, 2007, 11:23 pm

More than likely Veronica KNOWS that she's hurting you (just a little) and enjoys getting the reaction. Ruby does the same thing to Michelle's feet and hands.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby msvette2u » June 15th, 2007, 11:39 pm

True - she reacts when I yell "ouch", almost with glee in her eyes...I prefer to interpret it as repentance but I'm not that blind...!! Maybe I'll look into one of those tugs. Do you mean the oblong shaped ones made with fire hose material?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby DemoDick » June 16th, 2007, 12:01 am

Yeah, although some dogs don't like them so much because they are a little slippery. I like bite suit tugs but you won't find them at pet stores. Here are the ones I was talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Squeak-Fetch-Dura ... 419&sr=1-1

They don't have handles but you can just sew some on.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Return to Training & Behavior