Stop playing with the cats!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby katiek0417 » June 14th, 2007, 7:39 am

I want to apologize for allowing this thread to get completely off track.

This board was designed as a forum for people to share information respectfully.

I think we all need to remember that we are each individuals, with individual dogs. If someone doesn't agree with something a member does, that's okay. We all have something to offer on this board. What works for one person and one dog may not work for another. We're not here to change people...we're here to help one another.

An owner asked for advice regarding how to get her dog to stop trying to "play" with the cats. I think that is what we need to focus on.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jenn » June 14th, 2007, 1:24 pm

:goodStuff: I don't think there was any reason to apologize. :wink:
Jenn
undecided

Postby mommatococoa » June 14th, 2007, 3:14 pm

:topic:

My original post was about my dog trying to play with the cat not kill it. My cat does not charge the dog unless the dog gets in his face.

My main question was to find out how I could get my dog to not play with the cat that way I have a happy cat and an unharmed dog.

For those who have given advice...I appreciate it.

For those off topic... please take it to another thread. I'm trying to get my 4-legged "family" to live happily ever after with little issues. :D

Thanks everyone!
Jannelle

------------------------

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. "
mommatococoa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 14th, 2007, 3:19 pm

My original post was about my dog trying to play with the cat not kill it. My cat does not charge the dog unless the dog gets in his face.

Dogs playing with cats is often what ends up killing those cats, as when the cat runs, prey drive kicks in and though death may not be the "intent" of the dog, that may be the result anyway.

If you want them to peacefully co-exist it depends on a lot of things, but you have to be all over your dog's rear end to get the point across that very bad things happen when they chase the cat.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 14th, 2007, 3:23 pm

I think I have only had to have 1 "come to Jesus" meeting with Inara and it was over the cats. I was eating dinner on my couch, and Inara was at my feet. Toonces, my 21 y/o old man, jumped up beside me on the couch, and Inara lunged at him - no snapping or anything, just an "if anybody is getting food it's me" type thing. Well, all I will say is that after our little chit-chat she hid in her crate for an hour and didn't sleep with me that night. After that though, she's been much better. The occasional bouncy playbow/chase, but I just have to say her name in a low tone of voice and she's done.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mommatococoa » June 14th, 2007, 3:29 pm

I'm not sure if it matters but my dog does not chase the cat at all. The cat would be walking by and the dog would play bow and give a lil bark but has NEVER tried to bite but I also never let it go past that so I don't know what would happen honestly.

I am trying to find a way to let my dog know that you can not play with cat. My dog doesnt seem to listen when she is trying to play with the cat so I usually have to grab her by the collar and lead her away.

I have to admit that Cocoa has not been in a Puppy obedience class yet. I actually plan signing up for that at PetsMart this weekend. I hear good things about that class.
Jannelle

------------------------

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. "
mommatococoa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby GregMK9 » June 14th, 2007, 3:52 pm

How old is the pup?
Greg

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
GregMK9
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » June 14th, 2007, 4:07 pm

On June 14 2007, 2:29 PM, mommatococoa wrote:I'm not sure if it matters but my dog does not chase the cat at all. The cat would be walking by and the dog would play bow and give a lil bark but has NEVER tried to bite but I also never let it go past that so I don't know what would happen honestly.

I am trying to find a way to let my dog know that you can not play with cat. My dog doesnt seem to listen when she is trying to play with the cat so I usually have to grab her by the collar and lead her away.

I have to admit that Cocoa has not been in a Puppy obedience class yet. I actually plan signing up for that at PetsMart this weekend. I hear good things about that class.

This is just my experience with PetSmart....I think it was great for socializing my pup, and getting her used to different sounds, people, and dogs....however, beyond that, it almost ruined my dog. Every dog is different, but Sacha learned real fast that she could get away with NOT doing something. She wanted the treat for doing something, but didn't really care if she didn't get it for NOT doing something.

Maybe it was the trainer I had...but I had a very hard time fixing what I did wrong with her.

However, the one thing they did teach rather well, was a leave it command. The trainer actually taught in a way where the dog wasn't allowed to take anything from the ground (whether it be food, toy, etc)...everything had to come from us. So, we'd put food on the ground, tell the dog to leave it...if the dog went for it, we snatched it up, put the food back down, told the dog to leave it...Well, we kept doing it that way, until we were able to go a split second with the dog leaving it...once it did leave it, we rewarded it with food from our hand (while at the same time snatching the food on the ground with the other hand so the dog wouldn't go for it).

I don't use that command much today, but Sacha had an awful time eating mulch at the time....and that command was really a great thing at the time...

Have you ever tried to use something tasty to lure the dog away from the cat? So, if the dog is play bowing, lure it away, and once it turns away, put a word with it (like good leave it), then give the treat....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mommatococoa » June 14th, 2007, 4:37 pm

On June 14 2007, 4:07 PM, katiek0417 wrote:
On June 14 2007, 2:29 PM, mommatococoa wrote:I'm not sure if it matters but my dog does not chase the cat at all. The cat would be walking by and the dog would play bow and give a lil bark but has NEVER tried to bite but I also never let it go past that so I don't know what would happen honestly.

This is just my experience with PetSmart....I think it was great for socializing my pup, and getting her used to different sounds, people, and dogs....however, beyond that, it almost ruined my dog. Every dog is different, but Sacha learned real fast that she could get away with NOT doing something. She wanted the treat for doing something, but didn't really care if she didn't get it for NOT doing something.

Maybe it was the trainer I had...but I had a very hard time fixing what I did wrong with her.

However, the one thing they did teach rather well, was a leave it command. The trainer actually taught in a way where the dog wasn't allowed to take anything from the ground (whether it be food, toy, etc)...everything had to come from us. So, we'd put food on the ground, tell the dog to leave it...if the dog went for it, we snatched it up, put the food back down, told the dog to leave it...Well, we kept doing it that way, until we were able to go a split second with the dog leaving it...once it did leave it, we rewarded it with food from our hand (while at the same time snatching the food on the ground with the other hand so the dog wouldn't go for it).

I don't use that command much today, but Sacha had an awful time eating mulch at the time....and that command was really a great thing at the time...

Have you ever tried to use something tasty to lure the dog away from the cat? So, if the dog is play bowing, lure it away, and once it turns away, put a word with it (like good leave it), then give the treat....

One of my friends who also have an APBT went to the same PetsMart class and said the trainer was excellent and her pooch is very well behaved. I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

I have never tried the leave it command but sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try it even though I dont she'll be messing with the cats this weekend since she is getting spayed tomorrow.

What kind of tasty treat should I use? I hear people say they use hotdogs, cheese and other "human" food but I thought it was a bad idea to give them "human" food??
Jannelle

------------------------

mommatococoa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby randi81 » June 14th, 2007, 6:33 pm

On June 14 2007, 4:37 PM, mommatococoa wrote:What kind of tasty treat should I use? I hear people say they use hotdogs, cheese and other "human" food but I thought it was a bad idea to give them "human" food??

Cheese worked great with Saydee. As far as *human food* goes.. I give Saydee the left over bones from everything (except chicken and pork), but I put it in her bowl. She gets nothing directly from my hand unless we're doing OB.
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 14th, 2007, 10:00 pm

On June 14 2007, 3:37 PM, mommatococoa wrote:
On June 14 2007, 4:07 PM, katiek0417 wrote:

One of my friends who also have an APBT went to the same PetsMart class and said the trainer was excellent and her pooch is very well behaved. I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

I have never tried the leave it command but sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try it even though I dont she'll be messing with the cats this weekend since she is getting spayed tomorrow.

What kind of tasty treat should I use? I hear people say they use hotdogs, cheese and other "human" food but I thought it was a bad idea to give them "human" food??

I don't give my dogs leftovers...but they get raw food...and training treats are always either hot dogs or cheese (they seem to really like cheddar)....I have never had a problem with using human food for training (I mean, it doesn't cross over to them begging for food)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Attila Magyar » June 14th, 2007, 11:26 pm

mommatococoa

this is what I have used to get my dogs to leave other animals and things alone. I take an item usually a stuffed animal to begin with and lay it on the ground or floor. They will naturally go for it. And I say leave it. You can use no or what ever works for you. At first they wont most likely so you have to take it away and remove the dog from the area. No rewards for not doing as told. I don't use the crate or anything as a punishment just with hold the treat or petting till the dog does what is expected. They usually catch on fast that to get the treat and petting they have to leave what ever it is alone. Over time use different items. And after a few weeks you should be able to say leave it or no, what ever you desire to use, and the dog will leave it alone. I know a living animal will be a challenge for a Bull dog to leave it alone but it will. I have to do this as when working with my dogs in the yard some times a chicken or a sheep will get out and the dog will start after the animal. I say leave it. In a command voice and they do leave it. I also use an emergency command of kennel, I use "crate" for the inside dogs. Which took much longer to establish but when I use it, which is every day at least twice to keep it fresh. This is where they go to their kennels and wait. I have to shut the kennels as some times they don't wait for long. I need to work on that. But the leave it works in the house as well. I can put a plate of food on the end table and say leave it and they do leave it alone. Every now and then I have to put one of the dogs in a crate till it calms down if and when it gets riled up. And they do. I don't work all the dogs at one time so that makes it easier. It is much more effective working one on one with the dogs. It sounds like only the dog needs the training to leave the cat be. And the cat is fine with out any training. That will make it much more simple I am sure. I believe this will solve the deal with the dog playing with the cat. The cat always being there though, I think someone like Michelle could really help you as a guide as she has done what it is you are trying to do. I think that is neat. I only have to do the leave it usually as a speculative measure as my chickens normally don't get out of the pen area and the coop, and the livestock rarely get out of the fence. However it has happened and till I trained the dogs to leave it I had sheep for dinner and if it was one of the birds the dogs ate them. A dog can eat a chicken rather rapidly. Sucks when it is one of the best layers. Anyway if you would give the "leave it" a try I really believe it will work for you as desired. I don't know how often you will have to say it but at least you will have that command trained into the dog to do. Or is it do not? lol Good luck. I pray it works out for you. Then you can show us pictures of the dog and cat in one area with the dog leaving the cat alone. That will be nice.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mommatococoa » June 15th, 2007, 1:07 pm

Thanks for everyones advice.

I'm going to get it a shot once Cocoa is recovered. (She was spayed today) So I don't think she'll be messing with the cats very much this weekend.

Thanks again! :D
Jannelle

------------------------

mommatococoa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior