How Do You Judge Dog Aggression

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby maberi » June 9th, 2007, 8:22 pm

How do you judge the level of dog aggression in a dog? I feel that I learned the hard way with Yoda and I'm curious about what techniques there are out there to judge dog aggression without learning the hard way. Unfortunately Yoda never showed any aggression at all and then one day snapped and has never been the same.
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby DemoDick » June 9th, 2007, 9:01 pm

I will allow Connor and Ruby out of the crates at the same time, but that's about it.

As it stands right now, Connor will react immediately to any dog that challenges him, and is noticably hotter towards males. He would probably be okay with some females and smaller dogs, or very submissive males, but I'm not willing to risk it. There's just no point.

I always try to remind people that Pit Bulls can go hot at any time and once that's done, it's done.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby pocketpit » June 9th, 2007, 10:36 pm

Unfortunately Yoda never showed any aggression at all and then one day snapped and has never been the same.

This doesn't sound all that unusual for a Pit. Many of them are super social with other dog as puppies and then at a certain age it can all change in a day. Once argument and many of them remain hot towards dogs forever. Some are tolerant but their fuse is short and it doesn't take much to start a fight.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » June 10th, 2007, 10:55 am

That is a tough question because Thorne is DA and she is picky about who she doesn't like and what will set her off, it could be something as simple as a dog walking too close to her. I have a hard time knowing when she will snap because she is cool as a cucumber and gives no warning at all before she snaps.

Females are definitely more of a target and as long as everyone maintains a submissive attitude around her they are generally "safe" She snapped at Dolly (the SPBR dog) and Dolly backed down and maintained a submissive attitude the entire time we were fostering her, I have no doubt in my mind that Thorne was waiting for her to screw up, she would watch her and make low growls if Dolly walked too close to Thorne's crate and Dolly would back right off. She never snapped at Jud and would bring him bones. My girlfriend's JRT is a female and we have tried going on walks together and all Thorne wants to do is kill her, the JRT is intact.

I treat all dogs as a potential threat at all times and when we have more than one dog in the house I crate and rotate when alone and only let multiple dogs out at the same time when I have another adult present because one person cannot break up a fight easily. I treat each walk that we go on as an adventure in survival because I worry about stray dogs...so I am prepared at all times because my dog is unpredictable.

I work on obedience, my dog may hate other dogs, but she is expected to maintain a "sit" and obey me at all times, even if she cannot stand the dog walking near her...this is a good way to work with a DA dog, you know it will never go away, but you can manage it.

So I just rambled some random stuff...to answer your question, I have no idea how to judge what level of DA Yoda is, you should treat him as if he is EXTREMELY DA and you won't have to worry about learning the hard way because you will be prepared.
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby chewbecca » June 10th, 2007, 12:21 pm

I have found that, as long as you know your dog has SOME level of dog aggression, it's safest to assume that your dog will have aggression towards all dogs..
UNLESS you have some behaviorist or someone who is good at reading dog body language (but we all know that is deceiving as well).
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 10th, 2007, 2:20 pm

I have no idea how to judge what level of DA Yoda is, you should treat him as if he is EXTREMELY DA and you won't have to worry about learning the hard way because you will be prepared

This is the way I do things as well. Munkee is vey DA, Justice is to a degree. I don't actually know how DA Justice is because I treat her just like I do Munkee. She is not allowed around other dogs except Ollie, peroid. She does get along with my neighbor's dogs ( through the fence) better than Munkee does. She will touch noses with them, lay beside them with the fence between them & even try to play with the neighbor's annoying little chi. But I will not allow her to be IN the fence with them. I know she despises Munkee & he may truly be the only dog she does hate but we aren't going to fine out. :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Training & Behavior