A bit of a problem with fighting.....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby bkeeth071184 » June 7th, 2007, 4:08 am

I have two 8 week old pit bull puppies that I can't leave alone together. They have sores all over their bodies and I'm afraid that It might be caused from horsing around just a little too rough. Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT LET THEM FIGHT... But they can get a little rough, and I do correct the problem, when it gets to rough, but it keeps happening. So here's my question, would exercising them more keep them from horsing around so much? I mean like 4 or 5 good hours of exercise ( running, playing fetch, learning to swim, etc.). I know a dog needs a good exercise routine, but I didn't plan to implement it until they were a little older. Are they to young or is my mind in the right place? Let me know your thoughts on the subject. Thanks everyone! :|
Every Dog Has
His Day.....
bkeeth071184
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » June 7th, 2007, 8:13 am

How bad are the sores? Is it from the sharp puppie teeth?

8 weeks is way to young for formal exercise. They are infants. Let them play and tire themselves out naturally.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 7th, 2007, 8:21 am

Have they seen the vet yet? 8 week old puppies shouldn't be playing roughly to the point of constant sores. It makes me wonder if there is something else going on with them medically that is either causing the sores or making them more prone to them.

4-5 hours of exercise is WAY too much for an 8 week old puppy, but your heart's in the right place :) They should be doing more sleeping than terrorizing at this age anyway :D
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » June 7th, 2007, 1:14 pm

How long have you had them and where did they come from?

do they have scratch / teeth marks, or actual sores? When I think of "sore" I picture something red, oozy and infected.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby sw_df27 » June 7th, 2007, 3:50 pm

did they have the sores when you got them or did it just start? :?
sw_df27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby bkeeth071184 » June 7th, 2007, 7:34 pm

On June 07 2007, 7:13 AM, Romanwild wrote:How bad are the sores? Is it from the sharp puppie teeth?

8 weeks is way to young for formal exercise. They are infants. Let them play and tire themselves out naturally.

I thought they were too young also, that's why I posted this thread, to see if I was wrong by not implementing a regular exercise routine.
Every Dog Has
His Day.....
bkeeth071184
Just Whelped

Postby bkeeth071184 » June 7th, 2007, 7:38 pm

On June 07 2007, 7:21 AM, SisMorphine wrote:Have they seen the vet yet? 8 week old puppies shouldn't be playing roughly to the point of constant sores. It makes me wonder if there is something else going on with them medically that is either causing the sores or making them more prone to them.

4-5 hours of exercise is WAY too much for an 8 week old puppy, but your heart's in the right place :) They should be doing more sleeping than terrorizing at this age anyway :D

Yes they've been to the vet twice now, once for shots and once for a slight case of diarrhea. They do have fleas really bad but I can't put them on anything besides cap-star and it only works for 24 hours. They just keep coming back. I've even given cap-star and bombed the house, didn't work. The sores could be from all the scratching, but I figured because of the severity of the sores/cuts, it might be related to horseplay, and YES they play with each other like CRAZY!
Every Dog Has
His Day.....
bkeeth071184
Just Whelped

Postby bkeeth071184 » June 7th, 2007, 7:41 pm

On June 07 2007, 12:14 PM, mnp13 wrote:How long have you had them and where did they come from?

do they have scratch / teeth marks, or actual sores? When I think of "sore" I picture something red, oozy and infected.

The "sores" as I call them look more like extensive scratch marks or bite marks. Its to the point of bleeding and scabbing. I aide the sores with peroxide and children's neosporin.

Is there any Flea remedy for puppies this young that will work longer than cap-star?
Every Dog Has
His Day.....
bkeeth071184
Just Whelped

Postby bkeeth071184 » June 7th, 2007, 7:43 pm

[quote="On June 07 2007, 2:50 PM, sw_df27"]did they have the sores when you got them or did it just start? :?[/quote

No sores when I first got them, and hardly any fleas, but yet they weren't as playful when I first got them either. I think its a combination of fleas and horseplay.

Flea remedies anyone?
Every Dog Has
His Day.....
bkeeth071184
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » June 7th, 2007, 7:52 pm

Try not to use peroxide too often -- it's very harsh on puppy skin. The neosporin should be enough.

If they have a heavy flea problem, that could be making them a bit anemic (from the blood taken by the fleas) and that blood loss can make them very tired. I don't have any flea remedies, sorry! Anyone else? :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » June 7th, 2007, 8:48 pm

Well I guess my theory is that if you don't treat the fleas the fleas themselves could kill them.
I'd use the capstar THEN some flea stuff (drops - advantage or whatever) or else that other oral flea med that is safe for younger dogs that lasts longer.
I'm willing to bet the sores are from the fleas, not the puppies playing.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 7th, 2007, 8:54 pm

You can use Advantix on puppies as young as 7 weeks. Frontline Plus on 8 week olds. And they both work GREAT!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » June 7th, 2007, 10:03 pm

On Thu, Jun 07 2007, 7:38 PM, bkeeth071184 wrote:Yes they've been to the vet twice now, once for shots and once for a slight case of diarrhea. They do have fleas really bad but I can't put them on anything besides cap-star and it only works for 24 hours. They just keep coming back. I've even given cap-star and bombed the house, didn't work. The sores could be from all the scratching, but I figured because of the severity of the sores/cuts, it might be related to horseplay, and YES they play with each other like CRAZY!

Did your vet recommend only using the capstar?

I'm not sure you should use any other flea remedy without talking to the vet first -- the fact that you said they aren't "as playful when I first got them" makes me think there may be something else going on as well, whether it be anemia or otherwise. Have they been wormed? Are they eating/drinking okay? Any more diarrhea?

With pups this young, the slightest medical issue can end up being a major issue very quickly, so better to err on the side of caution and call your vet for some advice.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby luvmypitties » June 7th, 2007, 10:23 pm

Using frontline, advantix or revolution wont do any damage to puppies at that age. I would talk to your vet about applyng that to the pups. And even with a slight health problem the preventatives wont hurt anything. We ahve given it to all sorts of dogs and puppies with everything you can think of. Vet says it is fine.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2007, 7:19 am

On Thu, Jun 07 2007, 10:23 PM, luvmypitties wrote:Using frontline, advantix or revolution wont do any damage to puppies at that age. I would talk to your vet about applyng that to the pups. And even with a slight health problem the preventatives wont hurt anything. We ahve given it to all sorts of dogs and puppies with everything you can think of. Vet says it is fine.

Again, on HEALTHY pups, using the preventatives usually isn't a problem. It sounds like these pups have a few health issues that need to be taken care of, and since none of us are veterinarians, we can't say whether or not preventatives will be okay to use on the pups.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby juniper8204 » June 8th, 2007, 12:04 pm

The vet I work for has told me that if you have an animal too young or not healthy enough for Frontline/Advantage/Advantix, you can get the original Dawn dish soap and wash them in a bit of that and it will kill the fleas and make them squeaky clean. Just keep it out of their eyes.
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Big_Ant » June 8th, 2007, 12:16 pm

On 06/07/2007 7:03 PM, Marinepits wrote:the fact that you said they aren't "as playful when I first got them" makes me think there may be something else going on as well, whether it be anemia or otherwise.

Not disagreeing, because I definitely think there is something going on here, but, I think you took that phrase "as playful when I first got them" in the wrong context. He/She wrote:

No sores when I first got them, and hardly any fleas, but yet they weren't as playful when I first got them either.

To me, I took it that they weren't as playful when he/she got them, but now they play much much more.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2007, 1:31 pm

I got that. And if you read it the other way, you'll see what I mean -- that they are playing less. I'm erring on the side of caution in case those pups are more sick than described. :wink:

Hopefully, the OP can clear this up.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » June 8th, 2007, 1:40 pm

I'm skeptical of the sores simply being solely from fleas... there are millions of puppies out there who play rough and rarely do they have any more then reddened skin from it...

Because they have so many fleas, I'd say their risk for tapeworms is up (not to mention puppies are usually born with it). Its entirely possible for a puppy to develope anemia from flea infestation as well. To err on the side of caution with medications and because they are babies and more sensitive I think this warrants a trip to the vet. They may even get a small course of antibiotics for their sores...

Do you have pictures of the injuries?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Attila Magyar » June 12th, 2007, 1:35 am

One thing is for sure if you don't rid of your flea problem it will result in the death of your pups at an early age. Be it tape worms, anemia, or just final immune system break down. You must wash all bedding in hot water, bomb the house, treat the yard, and the pups to rid of these things. If you have carpet in your house that makes it much harder to rid of these rotten little bugs. I hate bugs. Best thing is to do the yard and the house the same day, then repeat in two weeks and again at four weeks (larvae). Keeping your dogs flea free as well. If you have to use dawn twice a week to do it then do so. However till you rid your yard and house of them you are fighting a loosing battle. Next time use more bombs, do the attic, the basement, make sure it gets into all hiding places. Wash the curtains, sheets, take the cushions out of the couch and chairs, make sure that stuff gets to all those areas. threat the heck out of your yard. you can't just bomb the house, there is much more to winning this war than that. You need other weapons and much more ammo. And unless you kill em all in and out of your house they will just come back when the smoke clears.

What ever you do please don't let the fleas win the battle. They will make you sick too if you don't rid of them. Nasty little vermin.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Training & Behavior