Questions about break sticks...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby BullyMommy12210 » June 6th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Okay, my husband and I have two wonderful American Pit Bull Terriers! We have a 1 year old male named Brooklyn and a 5 month old female named Destiny. They have both been properly raised, trained and socialized and they are all around, pretty friendly dogs! They LOVE adults and kids, they LOVE each other and they kind of just ignore other dogs... I have always heard that responsible "pit bull" owners carry break sticks anythime there could be a chance that a fight or attack could happen. I want to get a break stick asap, but I am not sure if its something I can buy or I have to make??? I just read up on how to use one and now I want to get one and I need to know where or how. Any advice, tips or suggestions would be very helpful and greatly appreciated! Thanks!! :)

Ohh.. I also wanted to see if alot of other bully owner have break sticks and if so where and when to you carry them with you? We dont take our dogs to dog parks, but we do take them on 3 walks a day and to the beach once or twice every weekend. :)
BullyMommy12210
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » June 6th, 2007, 2:19 pm

Here is a link to a thread with places to order break sticks ( you might want to check eBay too) and also instructions on how to make your own. Many people carry break sticks with them on their walks. be sure to conceal it JUST in case it is illegal to own one in your area ( stupid, I know but they can be considered paraphernalia).

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2311
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » June 6th, 2007, 2:22 pm

Here is some good info on how to use one and when... http://www.realpitbull.com/breakstick.html

And here is more info... scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to order one... http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » June 6th, 2007, 4:44 pm

I don't own one, nor do I plan to ever use one. In my opinion, choking a dog off is far easier.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » June 6th, 2007, 5:31 pm

On 06/06/2007 1:44 PM, mnp13 wrote:I don't own one, nor do I plan to ever use one. In my opinion, choking a dog off is far easier.

Amen.

I wrote this in a similar discussion the other day, and I think it is the most clear explanation I have made and makes MY point.

My thoughts on choking are simple. If you break the dog off with a break stick, you still have to worry about the dog regrabbing, or if the dog has temperament issues, you have to worry about redirecting, then if none of that comes up, you still have to worry about keeping them apart while you remove them to safe areas.

If you choke them, all you have to worry about is dragging the dog's body to it's kennel. DONE DEAL!
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby DemoDick » June 6th, 2007, 5:47 pm

Break sticks were and are used in the Pit as a way to separate uncollared dogs without exhausting them. I think that a lot of Pit Bull owners who want to be responsible are under the impression that they are the best way to separate two dogs in all situations, which just isn't true.

I think Anthony and Michelle have the right idea.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby HappyPuppy » June 8th, 2007, 12:37 pm

If it's not too off topic, Michelle described at least once how to choke a dog off but it dind't sink in: do you basically lift up on the collar and twist until the dog 'gives' ?
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Big_Ant » June 8th, 2007, 12:55 pm

On 06/08/2007 9:37 AM, HappyPuppy wrote:If it's not too off topic, Michelle described at least once how to choke a dog off but it dind't sink in: do you basically lift up on the collar and twist until the dog 'gives' ?

Pretty much. You can do it without lifting the dog, but the main concept is always the same. Grab collar twist til oxygen is no longer accessible, wait for that magic moment, then separate easily.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Malli » June 8th, 2007, 1:58 pm

Bullymommy, I think the idea is to have a plan for these types of situations, just in case they arise. If you work over a plan of action in case of a fight a couple of times in your head, it will most likely go much more smoothly in real life... As long as you seperate the dogs as quickly as possible thats really the most important thing.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » June 8th, 2007, 4:08 pm

On June 08 2007, 12:37, HappyPuppy wrote:If it's not too off topic, Michelle described at least once how to choke a dog off but it dind't sink in: do you basically lift up on the collar and twist until the dog 'gives' ?

Most dog's collars are far to wide to twist actually, you just pull up and the dog's bodyweight should be enough. You don't jerk the dog, as that may cause more damage to one or both of the dogs. Just a smooth upward pull.

Many dogs will let go as soon as they start to lose their breath, some don't until their tongue is turning blue... but they all let go eventually.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » June 8th, 2007, 4:24 pm

On 06/08/2007 1:08 PM, mnp13 wrote:Most dog's collars are far to wide to twist actually

True.

I think fur savers are wonderful for keeping something on a dog without it being intrusive, and they work very well for this type of thing.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby chewbecca » June 8th, 2007, 8:19 pm

I have a break stick. I carry it in Ella's bag on our walks.

Had I had one when she attacked that boxer, I probably would have gotten her off the dog a LOT faster. Actually, had she not backed out of her collar, I would've gotten her off that boxer a lot faster.

THAT situation, a break stick would have been useful. But the boxer simply laid down and allowed Ella to attack her. She didn't fight back.
If Ella ever attacked a dog (which I don't plan on this ever happening again, but off leash dogs are always a concern) that fought back, I don't think a break stick would be helpful in breaking up the fight, nor would it keep me safe from being bitten.

As it stood with Ella, I had to pry her mouth off the dog (as she had backed out of her collar and I had NO tools) with my hands and, no, I did NOT get bitten (which I know, I am VERY lucky as it was probably the stupidest thing I could have done).

No, break sticks aren't always the helpful answer during a fight, but they can be helpful with some.
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2007, 9:49 pm

I've done both & found it is easier to choke them off. The break stick is very effective in it's own right but I have bungled it & dropped it. I had a hard time using it on Munkee & ended up jabbing him in the eye with it. You have to put it between the teeth just right in the right place & sticking your hand that close to a dog;s mouth ( or two for that matter) can be intimidating.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » June 9th, 2007, 2:28 pm

Please see Malli's signature for my feelings on the break stick.

Read with sarcasm.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby maberi » June 9th, 2007, 8:37 pm

I recently had a situation where an off leash dog came after Yoda. Yoda immediately latched onto the dogs throat and wasn't about to let go. There were two other men and myself trying to get a hold of Yoda to get him off the dog. One of the men proceeded to punch Yoda continuously in the head which of course did nothing. I ended up choking Yoda off until he let go and while in the process was repeatedly bitten by the other dog who was trying to bite Yoda (have a few stitches and a nice bloated looking hand right now). I cant imagine trying to use a break stick in a situation like this.
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Yikes! I am sorry to hear that, Matt, and I hope your hand is okay. Was Yoda hurt, too?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » June 9th, 2007, 9:54 pm

Oh no!!! I am sorry to hear that Matt. Scary isn't it? I am glad you weren't hurt too badly and I hope Yoda is ok.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » June 10th, 2007, 7:53 am

Jeez Matt, how scary! Was the dog's owner anywhere to be seen?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby maberi » June 10th, 2007, 10:25 am

Yoda doesn't have a mark on him. I think I took the brunt of it in that fight. The owner of the dog was in the yard next door and came running over screaming and crying as Yoda flopped her dog around the yard. Poor Yoda was resting under a picnic table and the dog snuck up on him and tried to mount him (intake male). The next thing I knew, the picnic table was flipped over and people were screaming. Luckily the dog wasn't hurt. The owner was freaking out because the dog had blood all over it's face but that was just mine :) By the end of the fight I was covered in blood and feces (the dog crapped itself). A nice way to start a 4 year olds birthday party.

This was Yoda's opponent, HA

maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby iluvk9 » June 10th, 2007, 10:28 am

:shock: :shock: What a horrible story. That is some tough looking doggie there...
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Training & Behavior