Starting leash training with a puppy

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » June 3rd, 2007, 9:58 pm

Since I've never done it, someone else will have to post! :D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

What do you mean by "leash training?"
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » June 3rd, 2007, 10:29 pm

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1092

On June 03 2007, 21:07, delilahsmommy wrote:will this work on a small puppy? I'm thinking about waiting on getting a prong collar until she is a bit bigger and try to regular leash train her....? suggestions?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby InBearsMemory » June 4th, 2007, 8:12 am

I like to keep a 10-15 feet cotton leash attached to a pup at all times when they are in the house. Not only does it help the pup getting used to wearing a leash but it also gives the owner better control in regards to prevent chewing or potty training accidents or the pup getting into something it shouldn't (like plants and such).
When bringing the pup out or taking him/her for small walks NEVER let them pull. If they pull ahead stop and wait for them to come back to you. As soon as they do, give lots of praise and continue to walk. If that means that it will take 25 minutes to cover a 10 feet distance so be it. Repetition and consistency is key with any form of training.
Do not jerk on the leash or give leash corrections at that age either. The reason why I don't let them pull, even as a puppy, is because that way they learn right from the get go that is is not acceptable to pull on a leash and it makes training leash walking wearing a normal collar a breeze.
Withdrawn a step away, just to find my self.
The door is closed again, the only one left.
This storm that’s broken me my only friend.
InBearsMemory
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » June 4th, 2007, 8:18 am

Great post! :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Training & Behavior