She killed it.

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby randi81 » June 1st, 2007, 10:10 am

Yesterday at work, my neighbor (she works out there) was telling me how she has a family of 4 baby bunnies in her back yard, how she named them, talks to them, etc. My first thought was "Good lord I hope they don't come through the fence that runs through our hedges and separates our yards!" We had that conversation at about 4pm.

So I come home from work last night, start telling Cory about Jodie's bunnies in the backyard.... and he said, "Well, there's only 3 bunnies left now. Saydee killed one." :shock:

I ran outside to go look at the dead bunny, and there's not a hair out of place... no teeth marks.... it's just kinda squished. I honestly think if Saydee would have gotten ahold of a bunny, she would have mauled it. Maybe she jumped on it and it died instantly? I dunno. I'm definitely not gonna tell Jodie........... :(
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby sw_df27 » June 1st, 2007, 10:17 am

well don't you think she'll notice when she comes home and theres only 3 left!!!!!!!!!!! that's sad maybe it had a heart attack........ :?
sw_df27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby randi81 » June 1st, 2007, 10:20 am

On June 01 2007, 10:17 AM, sw_df27 wrote:well don't you think she'll notice when she comes home and theres only 3 left!!!!!!!!!!! that's sad maybe it had a heart attack........ :?

They aren't like, PET BUNNIES! And yeah, I was thinking heart attack, also.
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby msvette2u » June 1st, 2007, 10:22 am

No - she probably crushed it or jumped on it, yes. They can kill them with one bite and it wouldn't have marks necessarily.
We fostered a pit bull that killed our pet rabbit, with one bite :(
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 1st, 2007, 10:30 am

My parent's Standard Poodle killed my niece's Guniea Pig "Bunny" with one shake. There wasn't a mark on her, she was just dead.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby randi81 » June 1st, 2007, 11:57 am

Blah. My dog is a murderer! :(
-Randi.

randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Big_Ant » June 1st, 2007, 12:13 pm

Weda killed my little brother's rabbit when we were down at my mom's for a visit.

My aunt caused it though because Weda was fine with the rabbit in the cage, but my aunt kept trying to HIDE the rabbit cause she thought Weda would have issue with it. She kept pulling the cage (6' tall, 12' wide, my mom/grandma breed cockatiels/parakeets) front shade down to hide the rabbit.

They never closed it's cage door. The next day, Weda was out in the yard and I went up front to get her food bowl out of the car and when I got to the car I heard her start barking, I knew what it was, I ran toward the back, but by the time I got there, it was dead.

No puncture wounds, it was either a shake or heart attack (thing was probably a good 8 or 9 years old I think)

Try explaining that to a 9/10 year old boy!!!

She was 6 months or so at the time that happened.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby randi81 » June 1st, 2007, 12:16 pm

Well at least I'm not the only one this has happened to! :)
-Randi.

randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Big_Ant » June 1st, 2007, 12:20 pm

On 06/01/2007 9:16 AM, randi81 wrote:Well at least I'm not the only one this has happened to! :)

I think the thing that you need to keep in mind that this breed has the word TERRIER in it for a reason.

You can't blame a TERRIER for not wanting to cuddle up with a bunny rabbit and have pictures taken of them together so they can be posted on PBT. ;)

Also, there is no need to feel bad. I didn't feel bad when it happened with my brother's rabbit. I felt bad that it was HIS rabbit, and that it caused him to cry, but the actual act, I did not go think, "Oh my god, what has my dog done . . . "

She's a terrier, terrier's kill small animals.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby randi81 » June 1st, 2007, 12:27 pm

On June 01 2007, 12:20 PM, Big_Ant wrote:
On 06/01/2007 9:16 AM, randi81 wrote:Well at least I'm not the only one this has happened to! :)

I think the thing that you need to keep in mind that this breed has the word TERRIER in it for a reason.

You can't blame a TERRIER for not wanting to cuddle up with a bunny rabbit and have pictures taken of them together so they can be posted on PBT. ;)

Also, there is no need to feel bad. I didn't feel bad when it happened with my brother's rabbit. I felt bad that it was HIS rabbit, and that it caused him to cry, but the actual act, I did not go think, "Oh my god, what has my dog done . . . "

She's a terrier, terrier's kill small animals.

- Anthony

I know, I don't blame her for it... I knew it was inevitable with a prey drive like hers. My thing is... Jodie's husband Mike hates pit bulls, rotties, any "vicious" dog.. and this incident is just something to reinforce his negativity. HE won't see it for what it REALLY is.. like most people. You know? But that's why they'll never find out! :D
-Randi.

randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Big_Ant » June 1st, 2007, 12:29 pm

On 06/01/2007 9:27 AM, randi81 wrote:But that's why they'll never find out! :D

You learn fast grasshoppa!
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Malli » June 1st, 2007, 1:58 pm

how do you know it was saydee?

Its entirely possible it had a heart attack. We take wildlife from the public for a wildlife rehab place to pick up, they have warnings on their care sheets they give us that young bunnies such as cottontail rabbits can literally die in your hand from stress.

Oscar killed a squirrel, or rather, injured it and then my bf killed it because it was injured. We think it was sick as the dog actually caught it and he would never be able to outrun one...

dogs do that :) If anything take it as a reminder that they have those predator instincts that do sometimes take over ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » June 1st, 2007, 2:18 pm

It could have been much worse, it could have been her pet. Maybe she'll think an owl got it or something. :wink:
Jenn
undecided

Postby Scout » June 1st, 2007, 2:26 pm

Since it's a "wild" bunny...it's easy to tell thy neighbor what a cruel women Mother Nature can be :off:
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby peonns » June 1st, 2007, 5:55 pm

When we first moved into our new house there was about 30 rabbits running around wrecking everything.The little old lady next door was kinda scared of my two rottys at the time but after they helped with the rabbit problem she loved them.Now Nemo keeps them in check so no one has to shoot them around here any more i think right now there might be a total of three rabbits around here because they learned not to come in the yard anymore
God hates a coward
peonns
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BigDogBuford » June 1st, 2007, 11:38 pm

We have tons of wild bunnies at work and they're breeding like crazy right now. It's not the dogs they have to worry about, it's the Ranch cat. Last Sunday she found a nest of five babies and brought them to us. She'd gutted one and one had a puncture and the other three were ok. I found a wildlife rescue that would take them.

The cat (Mira) was PI$$ED when we took them away. She was so proud!

They're wild bunnies. *shrug* If they ALL lived we'd be overrun!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Devin » June 2nd, 2007, 2:00 am

On June 01 2007, Jenn wrote:It could have been much worse, it could have been her pet. Maybe she'll think an owl got it or something. :wink:

Yeah she doesn't have to know it was your dog. A lot of things happen to wild rabbits. Just don't slip up and give it away when she tells you about one not coming around anymore and you will be fine. :P
Devin
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby DempseysPaw » June 3rd, 2007, 8:02 pm

Or you could always tell her you caught it and stewed it and that'll take all the heat off the dog :twisted:
DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby sw_df27 » June 4th, 2007, 4:17 pm

LMAO
sw_df27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Scout » June 4th, 2007, 4:55 pm

On June 03 2007, 7:02 PM, DempseysPaw wrote:Or you could always tell her you caught it and stewed it and that'll take all the heat off the dog :twisted:

c'mon! Take one for the team!!
lmao
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Next

Return to Training & Behavior