CGC?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SisMorphine » May 24th, 2007, 11:16 pm

So from what I have heard in the past, for even the CGC (which is AKC funded/run) a dog either has to be an AKC registered breed, or has to be fixed. Yet today my co-worker told me for the CGC it didn't matter.

Does anything have any more info on this?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » May 24th, 2007, 11:23 pm

ANY dog, including a pit bull (which isn't recognized by AKC) can do the CGC....there is no rule saying the dog needs to be fixed...Greg had a CGC on his old pit, Rusty, and there was no mistaking that Ru-Ru WAS NOT fixed!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby DemoDick » May 25th, 2007, 12:26 am

Go get the CGC. With your level of experience it should be a piece of cake and it looks great on the dog.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Romanwild » May 25th, 2007, 6:27 am

Our club the NNY Bulldogged holds free training for anyone that wants to earn the CFC and TIT. It's not hard to get and we want as many Pit Bulls as possible to get it.

The TTI is a slightly modified version of the CGC that is given concurrently so you can earn both at the same time. Look for a class that is doing both.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 25th, 2007, 7:38 am

On May 24 2007, 11:26 PM, DemoDick wrote:Go get the CGC. With your level of experience it should be a piece of cake and it looks great on the dog.

Demo Dick

I'm still contemplating whether or not to start training Wally again so he can get his CGC. And now that I know we can do it, Teeny will absolutely be getting her CGC when she gets older and is slightly less . . . retarded.

And good call with the TTI, Charles. I know we do CGC at work, but I'm not sure if they do TTI also. I'll have to check into it.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmypitties » May 25th, 2007, 10:40 am

Is the TTI the temperment testing?
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » May 25th, 2007, 12:38 pm

Do you mean TDI?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lellis34 » May 25th, 2007, 12:42 pm

On May 25 2007, Romanwild wrote:Our club the NNY Bulldogged holds free training for anyone that wants to earn the CFC and TIT. It's not hard to get and we want as many Pit Bulls as possible to get it.

Guys are lining up everywhere to get this certification. :D

King earned his CGC and he's not registered and is neutered. I'm working with Athena now so that she can maybe get hers one day too.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby Attila Magyar » May 25th, 2007, 10:21 pm

Ok time for me to be educated. What is CGC?
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 25th, 2007, 10:32 pm

Charles said tit. :)

CGC is Canine Good Citizen. Here are a couple of links that explain what it entails.

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_Good_Citizen

http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/Therapy/cgc.html
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Attila Magyar » May 25th, 2007, 10:48 pm

Thanks. I have never heard of it. I will look at those sites and read them. I figured it wasn't something to do with field trials or showing. The two things I do the most. I am still with AKC on my hound dogs. Fox Hounds, well and my Shar Pei also.

I do like the idea of the therapy dogs. I wanted Robi to do that but he turned out a little rough for that line of work. Attila and his mom Gretchen would be great at it. Some one would have to do the training though and I learn with the dogs. I make a good dog. lol. That would be something I have no knowledge on where even to start and what the dog is supposed to be doing. Or me for that matter. It would be cool though. I am a licensed Behavioral therapist but don't work the field any more. I only did it voluntary while I was in the army with the exceptional family member program. (working with developmentally handicapped children and adults, dependents of military personnel) It was my only grip with humanity I had. Otherwise I really never did much with people or wanted to. I liked that line of work. Tried it for a short time in the civilian world but dealing with the parents and other family members pissed me off. I think most of them were the only problem those children had.

Sorry got off track.

Thanks for lining me out and giving me the information to study so I can learn about this.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 25th, 2007, 10:57 pm

No problem!! It's basically a test of a dog's ability to have good "manners" in public around people & other dogs. They test the dog's reaction to different things it may encounter in life. Although your dog does not come into contact with the test dog, it will be in the presence of another dog and they test your dogs ability to be controlled onleash.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Attila Magyar » May 25th, 2007, 11:01 pm

Most of my dogs could do it. that not showing interest in another dog part may be the kicker that would fail them. That would be an obstacle for sure.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Attila Magyar » May 25th, 2007, 11:04 pm

On May 25 2007, cheekymunkee wrote:No problem!! It's basically a test of a dog's ability to have good "manners" in public around people & other dogs. They test the dog's reaction to different things it may encounter in life. Although your dog does not come into contact with the test dog, it will be in the presence of another dog and they test your dogs ability to be controlled onleash.

well I could control them on a leash. I would have to give commands of leave it, allot and no allot.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 25th, 2007, 11:13 pm

On May 25 2007, 10:01 PM, Attila Magyar wrote:Most of my dogs could do it. that not showing interest in another dog part may be the kicker that would fail them. That would be an obstacle for sure.

Yeah, it would be for me as well. Munkee can be controlled onleash but it depends on the other dog as well. He WILL show interest in any dog that crosses his path but onleash if the other dog approaches him or gets in his face he will be himself. Which can be "rude" to say the least. I am pretty sure Justice could do it but she is a bit shy.

Not to mention there is no testing near me. Well, there is but it is a 50 mile drive.

This is the test with the other dog. I am afraid Munkee would show more than casual interest. Everything else he would pass with flying colors.

Test 8: Reaction to another dog
This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about 20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for about 10 feet. The dogs should show no more than casual interest in each other. Neither dog should go to the other dog or its handler

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Attila Magyar » May 26th, 2007, 2:59 am

On May 25 2007, cheekymunkee wrote:
On May 25 2007, 10:01 PM, Attila Magyar wrote:Most of my dogs could do it. that not showing interest in another dog part may be the kicker that would fail them. That would be an obstacle for sure.

Yeah, it would be for me as well. Munkee can be controlled onleash but it depends on the other dog as well. He WILL show interest in any dog that crosses his path but onleash if the other dog approaches him or gets in his face he will be himself. Which can be "rude" to say the least. I am pretty sure Justice could do it but she is a bit shy.

Not to mention there is no testing near me. Well, there is but it is a 50 mile drive.

This is the test with the other dog. I am afraid Munkee would show more than casual interest. Everything else he would pass with flying colors.

Test 8: Reaction to another dog
This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about 20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for about 10 feet. The dogs should show no more than casual interest in each other. Neither dog should go to the other dog or its handler

50 miles. Well that wouldn't be too bad. I doubt there is anything in Arkansas and if there was it would be in Little Rock which our breed is banned so I couldn't take my dogs. I reckon I would just have to load up a few dogs into the 65 Pick up and drive to where ever 50 miles is by you. lol

Picking out the dogs before we got there would be cool. If we were able to be the one greeting one another with dogs. I could use Gretchen, Eva, Dutchess or Notch Yo Runt. They are the most controlled on leash. Robi and Count would just have to stay home as there just wouldn't be any way they would make that part. Night Shade and Bue Bue wouldn't either most likely. Pudgy, I know with out a doubt he would pass with flying colours. That dog is just happy to be there. lol

It is amazing how two animals of the same breed can be so different. He is calm and always laid back. Bue bue the female Shar Pei is a total spaz and is very DA, and isn't very fond of strangers.

Every dog has a personality. I love them all for the most part. Almost ever dog I have ever met I liked and they liked me. Except for Kenny's poodle. It must hate me as it has bit me twice. And now I don't like it. Any other time I have ever been bitten it was my lack of attention to detail and not reading the situation. Once while judging a field trial a dog got hung in a fence and I got nailed while getting him loose. Ah I am rambling again. Sorry.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby randi81 » May 26th, 2007, 6:24 am

On May 25 2007, 10:57 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:it will be in the presence of another dog and they test your dogs ability to be controlled onleash.

Aaaaaaaah Saydee and I would fail miserably. She doesn't understand the fact that not EVERY DOG she sees wants her nose up their butt. :nono: If we're walking and she sees another dog, she doesn't bat an eye. If I have her out front onleash playing with my sisters and a dog walks by... she's pulling my shoulders out of socket. She knows the commands, I'm pretty sure she just has ADHD. :)
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby sw_df27 » May 29th, 2007, 12:05 pm

anything in Arkansas and if there was it would be in Little Rock which our breed is banned so I couldn't take my dogs. I reckon I would just have to load up a few dogs into the 65 Pick up and drive to where ever 50 miles is by you

We don't have anything in Arkansas at all really not even in Little Rock and which part of Little Rock are you talking about? cause my mom lives in Little Rock and she has pits they aren't banned there yet!
sw_df27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » May 29th, 2007, 1:12 pm

NORTH Little Rock does indeed have BSL

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Training & Behavior