? on hyper puppy!!!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby kayos1013 » March 30th, 2007, 2:04 pm

i have 4 dogs three of which are pits. one is a 8 month old and she is EXTREMELY hyper. more hyper than any of the other ones when they were puppies. she just goes from dog to dog biting, jumping and trying to play getting them all worked up. my other dogs are very good but when they've had enough they let her know and she goes to another dog. i know puppies are hyper but she is uncontrollable. i tried to take her outside and throw a ball but can't keep her attention long enough. she'll see a fly or piece of grass and that's it for the ball. i was wondering if any trainers or anyone else had any tips to try and calm her down a little. or even teach her playing is ok, but to go outside. we have a three month old baby and it gets pretty hecktic so any advice would help.

:|
kayos1013
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » March 30th, 2007, 3:20 pm

what is her obedience like? what training have you done?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 30th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Exercise, exercise, exercise!

A tired pit bull is a good pit bull!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 30th, 2007, 6:40 pm

On March 30 2007, pitbullmamaliz wrote:Exercise, exercise, exercise!

A tired pit bull is a good pit bull!
I agree

maybe your baby is related to my Samurai LOL
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » March 31st, 2007, 4:47 pm

Justice was ( and still is ) like that, just run, run, run, run all the time. SHe ONLY walks onleash and then you can tell it is killing her not to be able to run. So, I let her run her fool head off chasing balls, sticks, frisbees the water hose........whatever tires her silly butt out. She entertains herself quite a bit, tossing stuffies & balls around. I just hide. :shock:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » March 31st, 2007, 8:28 pm

How much time do you spend actually training this little guy?

By training I mean simple stuff, the basics, maybe some tricks.

I have seen as little as 5 minutes a day make a huge difference.

I all about the exercise too. Try Long walks. The backpack. A treadmill etc.

Exercise and training time one on one will probably show you improvement.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby kayos1013 » April 1st, 2007, 3:23 pm

i dont know much about training myself, but i've tried to teach her to sit, but i just cant keep her attention. it seems like she never gets tired. :|
kayos1013
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » April 1st, 2007, 7:34 pm

I just wanted to mention too, fetch is a game that has to be taught.(especially for a Pit Bull, not exactly a retrieving breed) I had to teach my dog to play it...
If I were in your place, I'd get a training collar or come up with some other sort of system to correct her for her behavior; its nice that your other dogs handle her well, but that could change, and it can't be fun for them to have to be on guard all the time...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Romanwild » April 1st, 2007, 10:45 pm

If you haven't done any training then I would get serious about that. With consistent work you can teach him to pay attention. That needs to be taught. A google would give you a lot of different techniques to teach it.

One way is to make a game of "look at me". Put a small treat in each hand and hold them up with your face being in the middle. As soon as he looks you in the eye say good or yes or use a clicker to mark the behavior (looking at you) then give him a treat.

Also, if you haven't done any training then I would make a list of the things you want to teach him so you can come up with a game plan.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 1st, 2007, 10:54 pm

On March 30 2007, 15:20, mnp13 wrote:what is her obedience like? what training have you done?

have you taken any classes or any "formal" training?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 2nd, 2007, 8:37 am

I agree with everyone, keep her tired!

When you do have a calm cuddly moment, you can give a puppy massage and repeat a word like calm or easy when pup is completely relaxed, this will create a conditioned response over time so that when puppy is crazy, they will calm down when you say the word "easy"
This worked wonderfully for my OCD tail chasing foster.

A puppy obedience class is a great start...you will learn the basics.

I find that these dogs like rules and work, obedience is work, calmly sitting at you side for 10 minutes is work. They are so proud after doing their tricks.
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby kayos1013 » April 5th, 2007, 6:03 pm

thank u everyone for yor suggestions, i have new ideas and things to try, thanks again.
kayos1013
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior