Catskill Game Farm to Auction Animals

Postby Marinepits » October 13th, 2006, 8:34 am

from the ASPCA weekly newsletter:

BREAKING NEWS: CATSKILL GAME FARM CLOSES; ANIMALS IN JEOPARDY

On Monday, October 9, Catskill Game Farm opened its doors to the public for the last time. Stories about the facility touted the end of an era—73 years of entertaining generations of children who visited the farm animals and captive wildlife housed at the Greene County facility in New York State. But receiving far less attention is the plight of the more than one thousand animals who faithfully served those generations of families.

Despite offers by animal welfare groups to provide permanent sanctuary or adoptive homes for the animals, most will be auctioned off to the highest bidder on October 18—along with the farm equipment, amusement park rides and a garbage truck.

Bidders at the auction will undoubtedly include those in search of exotic inventory for “canned huntâ€
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » October 13th, 2006, 8:57 am

That is beyond disgusting. If I had many millions of dollars I would purchase all of the animals and then place them in the proper facilities. Canned hunt . . . horrible.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » October 13th, 2006, 9:03 am

I went to this place as a little kid in school "field trips". I'm heartbroken over how these poor animals are going to end up -- I wish I had a place like Tippi Hendron's Shambala because I'd take them all.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » October 13th, 2006, 9:40 am

If we were more centrally located we could pool our resources and get them out.
I hope nobody shows up to buy them :(
msvette2u
I live here

Postby babyreba » October 13th, 2006, 9:42 am

My parents live an hour and a half from there, and my dad called to tell me about this. We went there a bunch of times when I was a kid.

It was an atrocious place when I was young--I still have the vivid vision of a Kodiak bear in a steel cage with chains on its legs in my head.

So this doesn't really surprise me a bit.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Vanessa » October 13th, 2006, 5:29 pm

I emailed them to tell trhem i would donate something. I hope it helps.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » October 13th, 2006, 9:16 pm

:x :x :x
I would like to think Roland and Kathryn Lindeman are rolling in their graves seeing that their daughter and grandchildren will be auctioning off the animals for a canned hunt.

The Catskill Game Farm has been owned and operated by the Lindemann family for 70 years. Roland Lindemann founded this unique park in 1933. It started with a couple of white-tailed deer, donkeys, and sheep. He and his wife, Kathryn, continued to collect exotic species of animals.

Since 1989 the Catskill Game Farm has been owned and operated by the Lindemann’s daughter, Kathie Schulz, and her children Serena and Christopher.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » October 14th, 2006, 8:14 pm

This is sickening! :cry:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Return to Rescue