Why is it so hard...

Postby msvette2u » September 2nd, 2006, 2:15 pm

Yesterday there were 3 dogs who were "adoptable". That is, decent dogs, with no discernible behavior issues, at least not obvious ones.
Today there is one, she is now with me. The other two are now deceased, killed by my own hand.
Annie has youth on her side. And a "cute" appearance. The other two...older and not quite so "cute". (see Annie's pic below)
I feel horrible. I didn't even really have a spot for one more but we anticipate 3 adoptions by the end of next week. One DOES leave today.
So the choice was made - Annie came home with me. The other two...didn't make it out...
But I still feel horrible. I feel like a rescue "snob" that I used to get mad at. :cry:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » September 2nd, 2006, 2:19 pm

I don't know how you can do your job. I couldn't do it. :hug3:

At least you were able to save the one, and keep good thoughts about all the ones you CAN save. And foster.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » September 2nd, 2006, 2:33 pm

What a doll. It's not fair & I couldn't do your job either. Sad how being "cute" decides whether you live or die but that is the nature of rescue. You have to make horrible decisions.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » September 2nd, 2006, 3:10 pm

That's what is so tough. I worked much harder getting the unadoptable ones into rescues when I did the job, but he has no time as they hired him primarly to enforce the codes, not do animal control. I tried hard to get the Shep X into rescue but nobody even bothered to mail me back.
We talked about it, and reminded ourselves that we aren't the reason the dogs are there in the first place, and they is no more suffering for them.
I'm glad I have Annie and was able to take her, but it's still bittersweet.
RIP Buttons and Black Lab x girl (confiscated from an abuse situation).
msvette2u
I live here

Postby sadowner » September 3rd, 2006, 9:31 pm

People are stupid ! I see posts on sites all the time on how you cant get a good dog from a pound/shelter. That is total bs! I see dogs all the time, the guy down the street from me has a little resuce . These dogs were beat, starved , some look like they lived outside their whole lives. These dogs more then any dog LOVE any attention you give them, They are starved for love. My fav one was used as bait in fights, he has scares like crazy. He licks the hell out of everyone. LOVES KIDS. But the sad thing is someone will look at him and walk right by.

I try to tell people for the small adoption price you get a healthy dog with shots and most of the time alot more. And the adoption price is nothing like what they are selling the crap puppies at pet shops for.

I thought their was alot of pits at shelters. Someone told me to look up labs :o
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby satanscheerleader » September 8th, 2006, 4:32 pm

I just read a quote on someone's myspace page.... "Good dogs aren't cheap, and cheap dogs aren't good." That's the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long while. :| Some of these dogs being sold for over a thousand bucks riddled with health and temperment problems and here I've had fosters that are the epitome of awesome! People really need to open their eyes. :shock:
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Samthepit » September 11th, 2006, 2:58 pm

On September 02 2006, msvette2u wrote:Yesterday there were 3 dogs who were "adoptable". That is, decent dogs, with no discernible behavior issues, at least not obvious ones.
Today there is one, she is now with me. The other two are now deceased, killed by my own hand.
Annie has youth on her side. And a "cute" appearance. The other two...older and not quite so "cute". (see Annie's pic below)
I feel horrible. I didn't even really have a spot for one more but we anticipate 3 adoptions by the end of next week. One DOES leave today.
So the choice was made - Annie came home with me. The other two...didn't make it out...
But I still feel horrible. I feel like a rescue "snob" that I used to get mad at. :cry:

My heart goes out to you, I don't know if I could do it and I'm not known for my warm and fuzzy disposition if u KWIM. On the other hand, as u've pointed out they are no longer suffering. PPL are weird and the way we treat dogs (or cats I suppose) isn't much different than the way we judge other humans often times. Think about it, the cute, rich and 'sucessful' types are the ones everyone flocks to. Nevermind the poor lady down the street who maybe looks a little rough around the edges is just DYING for that kind of attention and love and admiration. People, dogs - we're a fickle breed humans.... :?
Sarah Broadwater
"who's behavior do you answer for?"
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Return to Rescue