When adopting a dog…

Postby Wanderer » July 25th, 2006, 12:10 pm

How do people choose the right dog? We visited a shelter this weekend and were introduced to 4 awesome dogs, each of them very different from each other. I thought it would be an easy decision…boy was I wrong!

My husband and I each have things that we want in a dog…
I want- a dog I can take every where, one with a low/controllable level of aggression, and is easily trainable (I want to do CGC). I also want a dog that is attentive to his people and will look you in the eye.
Husband wants- the classic “tough guyâ€
Wanderer
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » July 25th, 2006, 12:15 pm

I just wanted to mention that temperment (particularly when referring to "pit bull" types and other dogs or animals) is not set in stone, so you should be prepared that what appears to be at the shelter may change at home, or the dog may mature and "turn on" late...
Just something to keep in mind

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby anissa » July 25th, 2006, 12:24 pm

We found Charlie at the shelter.. and like you said, it was 'love at first sight'. We just KNEW he was the one, without question. We got lucky with him.

I dont think you're being too picky, but remember that each dog is different. You may find a dog with a few of the things you're looking for, and have to train him/her over time to be 'exactly' what you want. Even then.. they still may change over time. Chances of you finding the 'perfect all around' dog are slim. You have to be willing to work with it.

You might want to consider looking into rescue dogs, as they are often fostered to people who can give you a better description of the dog. A shelter dog is sort of hit or miss.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » July 25th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Fostering with intent is also a good option, and most rescues are happy to have you do that because you will either end up adopting the first one you foster, or you will foster a few, thus helping to save lives, before you find your perfect match.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Wanderer » July 25th, 2006, 1:05 pm

We are actually working with a great rescue near us that does a ton of temperment testing and works specifically with pit bulls. I know that any dog can show his "true colors" once in a home environment, but at least I feel like I am getting a pretty honest and accurate evaluation form the rescue.

I have brought up the idea of fostering but my hubby won't buy it. I'm not sure why...but I can't get him to agree :?

There are defiantely things that i am prepared to work on with our dog, no question...if it is the right dog it is defiantely worth the time, I definately don't expect our adopted dog to be perfect... :wink: as long as he is right for us.
Wanderer
Just Whelped

Postby Violet » July 25th, 2006, 1:12 pm

If you were out west I would have the dog for you..fits BOTH your criteria. I would have to recommend going through a rescue if this is a first dog simply because they will have a much better idea of the dogs total temperament. The dog has been in a home environment and has been well tested out. Alot of dogs are terrific in shelters and not so much when they get out.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » July 26th, 2006, 2:54 pm

I am one of those CRAZY NUTS who adopted a dog without meeting it first. Can you imagine?!

Joking aside... I was able to work with a rescue who I was more than comfortable with, who had the dogs in multiple dog foster home settings. After talking several times with the rescue people and foster home, they helped me to decide on which dog would be best suited for our pack.
We were originally looking for a very young male pup, and ended up with a 5 month old female.

Amazingly enough, she is the PERFECT addition to our family. I would never have imagined a dog could be so compatible with the dogs we already had!

Point is-- if you are working with a rescue who truely know their stuff, I wouldn't be worried. I'm sure you'll know when you find the right one. :D
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 26th, 2006, 3:13 pm

wanderer,there is a beautiful female named Deja in the rescue section,she is living with 3 other pit bulls and a bunch of parrots in a foster home.. maybe check her out??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Emi » July 26th, 2006, 7:33 pm

I know what you mean ..

The minute I laid eyes on Dottie I knew she was for us..

Good luck
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Hoyden » July 26th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Yep, I know what you mean. I spent two years looking for Birdie. I knew what I wanted and needed and stuck to it.

It meant I went home and cried many times because I was listening to my heart and not my head, but it was worth it in the long run. Birdie is MY dog and there is no question about it.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Wanderer » July 28th, 2006, 10:44 am

I'm glad it's not just me! We have set up another meeting with one of the dogs that we met last week. We'll see... :wink:
Wanderer
Just Whelped

Return to Rescue