Home needed for rescued male in OK/AR/TX

Postby Scruffybug » July 5th, 2006, 11:31 pm

I found Sam in May 2005 outside a high school in Oklahoma City--5 lbs with mange (no hair), a Staph infection, parvo and 4 intestinal parasites. After time and a fair bit of money, he's fully grown (and handsome!), a white pit with one blue eye and one green eye, but has some particular health requirements. He needs a specific type of food that's ~$50 per week and has extremely sensitive skin. Unfortunately I have two moves in the next year and a half (Austin this August and likely Boston next August) and on my grad student pay/schedule I can no longer provide him with the care/attention he needs. :( I don't know what to do...I tried taking him to my mom's but he has been beaten up by another dog and has many cuts on his face and side. Sam barely survived being a puppy so these injuries are breaking my heart. If anyone has any suggestions on affordable pit-friendly housing in Austin, or is interested in taking Sam, please let me know. Someone wonderful deserves this wonderful dog--he just wants to love and play. If anyone is interested, the only thing I ask is that I get to see him again.
Scruffybug
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » July 6th, 2006, 9:13 am

what kind of food does he eat that is $50 a week? have you gotten a 2nd opinion from another vet??

with all the rescues overwhelmed with katrina pitbulls, i doubt you will be able to find a rescue to take him.
is he neutered? how old is he now? have you thought about keeping him an just having him move with you to austin? and then to the east coast? you will hav to live outside of boston,as they have BSL.
the more info you post the more we can try to help you.

you can also contact Leah at Spindletop Pitbull Refuge for help in finding a pit friendly apt..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Scruffybug » July 6th, 2006, 1:58 pm

The special food is Innovative Veterinary Diets Venison and Potato. I was supplementing his diet with frozen venison but hunting season is long over. Sam sees two vets at the same clinic and the food was advised by a dermatologist. I've challenged him by giving him regular dog food and he suffered a severe break-out. These break-outs (itchy rash) lead to Staph infections, the first of which took over 7 months to get rid of...you can imagine the vet bills.

Sam is neutered, a few months over a year old, and weighs about 55 lbs. Here is a picture:

That picture was taken about a month ago. Unfortunately now he has many abrasions on his face from being attacked :( but the little man has been through much worse in his time. I think it bothers me more than him.

I am in the process of looking for pit bull friendly housing for him in Austin...I will definitely contact the Spindletop Rescue.

Thanks for your response!
Scruffybug
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » July 6th, 2006, 2:01 pm

oh ok. i would still go to a holistic vet and get another opinion .. it will be extra extra hard to find someone to adopt him due to his severe allergies.. unfortunately, not many people want a dog with severe allergies..

you would be better off keeping him yourself...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jenn » July 6th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Gorgeous boy!! :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to Rescue