UPDATED! New Milford animal shelter injured puppy

Postby Purple » June 7th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Their loss, that's for sure.
Purple
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2006, 8:15 am

Injured pup gets public outpouring
By Elizabeth Putnam THE NEWS-TIMES

NEW MILFORD – Dozens of residents throughout the Danbury area contacted the New Milford Animal Welfare Society over the past two days, pledging at least $1,500 to help an injured pit bull-mix puppy named "Wednesday."

In addition to the donations, six families have filed applications to adopt the 4-month-old pup, shelter manager Renee Gardner said.

"We had to have one person assigned to answering the phone all (Tuesday)," Gardner said.

The pup is staying at the animal shelter until Monday[s surgery to amputate her front leg. Wednesday also is suffering from broken ribs and a fractured hind leg.

The puppy's journey to the animal shelter started when Brookfield police investigated a tip in May about a possible animal abuse case.

A veterinarian who examined the puppy couldn't find direct evidence of abuse. However, the owners agreed to give the dog to the Regional Animal Control, which gave it to the New Milford Animal Welfare Society.

The shelter named the dog Wednesday because she arrived there on a Wednesday.

The surgery on the puppy's leg will cost at least $1,000, and Animal Welfare needs public donations to cover the cost.

Media attention about the dog sparked the donations and adoption applications.

Gardner said the shelter has received at least 25 phone calls during business hours in addition to numerous messages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For information about how to help Wednesday, call (860) 354-1350. The shelter also has 20 other dogs and dozens of cats available for adoption

Donations can be sent to the New Milford Animal Welfare Society, 8 Dodd Road, New Milford, CT 06776. They can be dropped off at the clerk's office at Brookfield Town Hall, 100 Pocono Road. Donations are tax deductible.

Contact Elizabeth Putnam

at eputnam@newstimes.com
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » June 9th, 2006, 8:36 am

what idiots. they should put her in a foster home to recover, not the shelter.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2006, 8:44 am

Yup. I agree. I don't understand why she's going to recover at the shelter? Then again, I've never been there and don't know how they operate, so..... :|
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » June 9th, 2006, 10:40 am

Marinepits wrote:Called and left a message this morning and they called back to let me know that they "don't do fostering". After her surgery, she will be recovering at the shelter.

Oh, well, I tried. :)

I'm going to try and visit her sometime this week, so I will tell her that you all are wishing her the best for a speedy recovery! Hopefully, they'll let me take photos.

Geesh when I did shelter work I prayed for someone responsible to step up. The only one I really had wanting to foster didn't have a fenced yard :shock: and her OWN dogs were not fixed :shock: :shock: . One other expressed interest but wanted us to pay bills (vet bills. etc) but the shelter never was able to bring dogs to the vet so how could we pay hers? :(
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 9th, 2006, 11:42 am

Our shelter rarely does fostering either. Their reasoning is that if the foster falls through, they are stuck with more dogs than they have capacity for. Also, many fosters end up adopting the dogs, then the humane society picked up the tab for all the medical bills for an adopted dog.

Not saying it is right, and with puppies especially, they should be in a home environment, I just thought it might help to have a reason.

He is really cute, it is too bad they didn't see reason on this and see he needed a home environment.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2006, 1:50 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Our shelter rarely does fostering either. Their reasoning is that if the foster falls through, they are stuck with more dogs than they have capacity for. Also, many fosters end up adopting the dogs, then the humane society picked up the tab for all the medical bills for an adopted dog.

Not saying it is right, and with puppies especially, they should be in a home environment, I just thought it might help to have a reason.

He is really cute, it is too bad they didn't see reason on this and see he needed a home environment.

Yeah, I see your point.

I rarely offer to foster (especially since reading some foster horror-stories from "another forum"), but I thought this pup was far needier than most. Here I am, 10 years of experience with shelter dogs, four of which I kept; I have tons of vet experience through working at various hospitals and one of my best friends is a vet (I can call her anytime with any problem); my backyard abuts a 300 acre forest that no one uses; and I'm home all day long. What more could they ask for?

I know I'm griping, but this puppy will need ALL the help she can get, especially in socialization. I don't understand why they would pass an opportunity like this up.

Oh, well.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Previous

Return to Rescue