UPDATED! New Milford animal shelter injured puppy

Postby Marinepits » June 6th, 2006, 8:46 am

http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php ... Type=Page1

New Milford animal shelter seeks home for injured puppy
By Elizabeth Putnam
THE NEWS-TIMES

The News-Times/Michael Duffy

Renee Gardner holds Wednesday, a pit bull-mix puppy suffering from a shattered front leg, broken ribs and a fractured hind leg.
Renee Gardner took the pit bull-mix puppy from her cage Monday morning and placed her gently on the recently mopped floor.
Despite her shattered front leg, broken ribs, and a fractured hind leg that causes constant pain, the 4-month-old dog sniffed around, eagerly searching for a playmate.

"She's so friendly. You'd never know that she had these injuries," said Gardner, manager of the New Milford Animal Welfare Society.

The puppy, named Wednesday, is in need of a home.

Brookfield police received a tip in May about a possible animal abuse case. A veterinarian who examined the puppy couldn't find direct evidence that her owners were abusive. However, the owners agreed to give the animal to the Regional Animal Control, which turned the dog over to the New Milford Animal Welfare Society.

"We investigated it and couldn't support that abuse had taken place. The owners had another dog that was larger. (Wednesday) could have been injured from rough play," Brookfield Police Major Jay Purcell said Monday.

Brookfield Police would not release the owners' names, claiming their names are not public information because they were never charged with a crime.

According to the Web site http://www.pet-abuse.com, most animal cruelty cases do not have a "smoking gun," and cases need a substantial amount of evidence to be proven in court.

Wednesday is staying at Animal Welfare while waiting to undergo surgery at Park Lane Animal Hospital in New Milford on June 12 to amputate her shattered front leg. She will go up for adoption after she recovers.

Gardner said the surgery will cost at least $1,000, and Animal Welfare needs public donations to cover the cost.

Animal Welfare is a no-kill shelter that is home to about 70 cats and 20 dogs. Most of them are up for adoption.

Audrey McKay, a Regional Animal Control officer, said she doesn't often see dogs with such extensive injuries.

"We hardly deal with anything this severe," she said.

The Regional Animal Control serves Bridgewater, Brookfield Sherman, New Fairfield, New Milford and Sherman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more information about how to help Wednesday, call (860) 354-1350.

Donations can be sent to the New Milford Animal Welfare Society, 8 Dodd Road, New Milford, CT 06776. They also can be dropped off at the Clerk's Office at Brookfield Town Hall, 100 Pocono Road. Donations are tax deductible.

Contact Elizabeth Putnam

at eputnam@newstimes.com

or at (203) 731-3411.
Last edited by Marinepits on June 9th, 2006, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » June 6th, 2006, 9:04 am

your kiddng me right? the vet couldnt find any signs of abuse??? blaming it on a larger dog??? WTF?????
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 6th, 2006, 10:26 am

Oh my god! that is the most georgeous puppy I have ever seen. That is so sad. Those eyes will find a good home.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » June 6th, 2006, 10:31 am

AWWWW How CUTE. The photographer did a great job, she ought to find a foster or adoptive home quickly!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » June 6th, 2006, 10:34 am

What a beautiful puppy!!! What a horrible story.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 6th, 2006, 12:34 pm

I'm putting a call in to offer to foster this afternoon. Wish me and the pup luck!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » June 6th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Maryellen wrote:your kiddng me right? the vet couldnt find any signs of abuse??? blaming it on a larger dog??? WTF?????

Um, yeah. Can't wait to hear which office did the exam. :x
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » June 6th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Good luck!! What a little cutie. :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby a-bull » June 6th, 2006, 12:43 pm

:highfive:

Good luck and let us know how you make out!!
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » June 6th, 2006, 12:45 pm

OMG....what a face! He should be in show business.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby msvette2u » June 6th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Marinepits wrote:I'm putting a call in to offer to foster this afternoon. Wish me and the pup luck!

Good luck!!! let us know!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 6th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Marinepits wrote:I'm putting a call in to offer to foster this afternoon. Wish me and the pup luck!

:clap: I'm so excited!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby rockermom » June 6th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Good Luck!! That looks like a special pup that you just cant resist.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Sue » June 6th, 2006, 6:08 pm

I know a volunteer there, I'll put in a good word for you :wink:
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Marinepits » June 6th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Sue wrote:I know a volunteer there, I'll put in a good word for you :wink:

Whoo hoo! Pm me her/his name. :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Purple » June 6th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Any news yet?
Purple
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 6th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Purple wrote:Any news yet?

Nope. I couldn't get through today. :( I'll call again early tomorrow morning.....
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby usurpers26 » June 7th, 2006, 9:46 am

Good luck - what a pretty pup!
usurpers26
Just Whelped

Postby dharmasmom » June 7th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Gorgeous pup! Fingers crossed for the fostering!!!

"We investigated it and couldn't support that abuse had taken place. The owners had another dog that was larger. (Wednesday) could have been injured from rough play," Brookfield Police Major Jay Purcell said Monday.

Un-freaking-believable. Time to write some letters :x
dharmasmom
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » June 7th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Called and left a message this morning and they called back to let me know that they "don't do fostering". After her surgery, she will be recovering at the shelter.

Oh, well, I tried. :)

I'm going to try and visit her sometime this week, so I will tell her that you all are wishing her the best for a speedy recovery! Hopefully, they'll let me take photos.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Rescue