Susie needs a Foster Home

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 11:35 am

OK, thank you all for your advice. I was reluctant to post here looking for help, and I can see now that my reluctance was warranted. I will handle Susie and her pups on my own.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 11:36 am

Maryellen wrote:and do an adoption contract as well for any dog irregardless of breed.

as far as you not doing home checks on the other dogs you have placed- shame on you.

I do an adoption contract. And you know nothing about the dogs I've placed. So shame on you for passing judgement when you know nothing about the situation. :|
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby ccc2006 » May 24th, 2006, 11:39 am

LindsaySF wrote:
ccc2006 wrote:I'm not advocating their return to the rescue by posing this question, I'm simply wondering if the rescue's hand can't be forced to help in securing a new placement for her or at least pushing for an adoptive home through more exposure. It's just not fair to set this all upon the foster home.

Agreed. Though after disagreeing with Eric on key aspects of his "rescue" (pups are spayed/neutered before vaccinated, pups attend puppy parties without being current on vaccines, he has no problem with one of his fosters having 24 dogs in her apartment, etc), we were banned from his forum.

Unfortunately, Melanie is on her own now. SPBR won't help.

~Lindsay~

Thanks for the information Lindsay. Not that it really matters because it's not me dealing with the situation directly, but I would try and move the pups to another rescue and work with the mother instead once the pups were gone and her hormones returned to normal.
Maybe then the situation would become a little more manageable? :|
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 11:39 am

LindsaySF wrote:I don't see why Melanie needs to be defended at all! Why do we have to attack her just because she asked for help?

Would you rather she just stick Susie in a crate and never take her out again instead of trying to find a more appropriate foster home for her?

Now I see Melanie's reluctance to ask for help in this situation... And this is sad. This entire forum is supposed to be for pit bull owners helping other pit bull owners. If a member is afraid to post asking for help with this type of situation, how does that help anyone? :|

~Lindsay~

Thanks Lindsay. You see, I had expressed to Lindsay reluctance to ask for help here because I was afraid that I'd get more criticism than help. I was actaully concerned that someone from pbsmiles would come over here, but I expected a fair amount from members here as well. But this has turned into something ugly and not at all helpful. And yes, I will be afraid to look for help here next time. Is that what you all intended?
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 11:40 am

LindsaySF wrote:I don't see why Melanie needs to be defended at all! Why do we have to attack her just because she asked for help?

Would you rather she just stick Susie in a crate and never take her out again instead of trying to find a more appropriate foster home for her?

Now I see Melanie's reluctance to ask for help in this situation... And this is sad. This entire forum is supposed to be for pit bull owners helping other pit bull owners. If a member is afraid to post asking for help with this type of situation, how does that help anyone? :|

~Lindsay~

She doesn't need defending---she's doing just fine---you said you were "defending" her regarding I.F., and I said I understood that you were.

I will say again, as have other members in this thread, she is being offered all sorts of information and assistance---because everyone isn't offering to take Susie, and because some people are offering the benefit of their own personal experiences which may be different from hers, that doesn't make the information any less worthy.

Not every forum operates the same. It seems that in this forum, you will hear all sides, and obviously most of the members here prefer it that way, or we wouldn't remain.

Try to see the value in the information---be it good, bad or ugly---rather than getting so defensive.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby muse » May 24th, 2006, 11:43 am

savagem wrote:OK, thank you all for your advice. I was reluctant to post here looking for help, and I can see now that my reluctance was warranted. I will handle Susie and her pups on my own.

Melanie.. Im sitting here being VERY quiet, trying not to interfere. But I honestly dont see how your being attacked. I see some people questioning you and perhaps stating an opinion, but I also see MANY others offering you advice and support. The whole issues is hypersensitive Im afraid.

Please dont leave..
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 11:43 am

OK, Maryellen saying "shame on you" for not doing home visits on all of my placements. This without knowing ANYTHING about the dogs or the situations other than that they weren't pitties. How is this helpful? How is this sharing information to TRY to be helpful? This is nothing but judgemental and critical.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 11:44 am

muse wrote:
savagem wrote:OK, thank you all for your advice. I was reluctant to post here looking for help, and I can see now that my reluctance was warranted. I will handle Susie and her pups on my own.

Melanie.. Im sitting here being VERY quiet, trying not to interfere. But I honestly dont see how your being attacked. I see some people questioning you and perhaps stating an opinion, but I also see MANY others offering you advice and support. The whole issues is hypersensitive Im afraid.

Please dont leave..

I think it's mostly Maryellen. And maybe bringing the issue of the invisible fence up. I won't leave. Just will be more reluctant to seek help here, that's all. :)
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 11:45 am

if you are a rescue, youu should be doing home checks and adoption contracts.. it doesnt matter what kind of dogs you place, you should be doing the right thing.

and to say you were reluctant to post help for susie here- you can think that if you want, but if you didnt post, i would not have listed all those rescues for you to try.

you came here for help, and everyone did give you help.. you are being defensive, and you have no reason to. you posted in another part that the dogs were doing great, then all of a sudden you have to rehome susie..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby muse » May 24th, 2006, 11:46 am

She also offered some great advice and provided links.. does one count out the other?
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby LindsaySF » May 24th, 2006, 11:49 am

ccc2006 wrote:Thanks for the information Lindsay. Not that it really matters because it's not me dealing with the situation directly, but I would try and move the pups to another rescue and work with the mother instead once the pups were gone and her hormones returned to normal.
Maybe then the situation would become a little more manageable? :|

Thanks for your post. Yes, I think the Susie situation would be more managable once the pups were adopted out. (Though we don't know how long that will take). But with 8 pups and her own dogs, it's just too much for her right now. :(

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 11:49 am

since you feel its mostly me picking on you, i am sorry.if were to pick on you you would know it.. i am stating advise, rescue sites, and yes, i said shame on you.. why? because it doesnt matter what kind of dog anyone places, it could be a shitzu, a home check should be done and not let the people just come get the dog.. if you have been doing rescue you should know that.. ok, so maybe you dont, but now you do.. any dog of any kind needs a home check. then i go and post places for you to get the home check info on how to do it, and then you say its mostly me?? sorry, no guilt trip will be placed on me.. i tell it like it is, if you dont like the advise you are giving i am sorry.. but to protect the dogs, you now know to do home checks to make sure the people are good people and live where they say they live.. you learn by mistakes, so take the info all have given and make a file so that you can go back to re check stuff if you think you missed anything..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 24th, 2006, 11:51 am

MaryEllen has already stated to keep this on topic. Don't make us close yet ANOTHER thread, really it is getting old. We have had to mod this board more in the past WEEK than we EVER have & frankly, I am tired of it. As has been stated when everyone first arrived. We are here FOR THE DOGS, not YOU, not ME, THE DOGS. If something we say hurts your feelings, you need to toughen up because it is not about YOU. These dogs are FIRST & FOREMOST. WIth them & US....it is do it right or not at all.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby LindsaySF » May 24th, 2006, 11:51 am

Yes, there were helpful links and helpful posts. But mixed in with all those were critical comments about 'why did you take the dogs in the first place if you couldn't handle them'...

Perhaps Melanie is being defensive. But I would be too in her situation. She already posted that she was stressed and overwhelmed by the whole situation, but critisizing and guilting her is just kicking a person while they're down to me... :(

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby LindsaySF » May 24th, 2006, 11:53 am

Melanie, do you need any help emailing the rescues? Or do you have that covered? Let me know if you want any pics of Susie from the transport (I like the ones of her face, she looks so cute).

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 11:54 am

cheekymunkee wrote:MaryEllen has already stated to keep this on topic. Don't make us close yet ANOTHER thread, really it is getting old. We have had to mod this board more in the past WEEK than we EVER have & frankly, I am tired of it. As has been stated when everyone first arrived. We are here FOR THE DOGS, not YOU, not ME, THE DOGS. If something we say hurts your feelings, you need to toughen up because it is not about YOU. These dogs are FIRST & FOREMOST. WIth them & US....it is do it right or not at all.

:bowDown:

Appologies if I went off course at all.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 11:55 am

and this isnt the first time she has taken in a dog that she had to refoster to another home. that is the point.. i will not sugar coat anything from anyone, if i feel that they should be more careful i will state it. if i find out that they did this prior to this post, i will more then certainly state how i feel.. again, this is for the dogs, its bad enough susie was in another foster home and had to be rehomed , now she has to be rehomed yet again??

i am sorry, but DOG AGGRESSION is part of the pit bull breed. if you dont want to deal with it then dont foster pit bulls.. or know your limits.. i am sick and tired of dogs being pushed around because they got into fights with the resident dogs due to the fosters not paying attention.. you NEVER ever let a new dog mingle with your dogs the first few weeks they are with you, and especially not a whelping mother.. i am tired of the woe is me crap, find a new foster, cant deal with it, etc..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 11:57 am

Maryellen wrote:and this isnt the first time she has taken in a dog that she had to refoster to another home. that is the point.. i will not sugar coat anything from anyone, if i feel that they should be more careful i will state it. if i find out that they did this prior to this post, i will more then certainly state how i feel.. again, this is for the dogs, its bad enough susie was in another foster home and had to be rehomed , now she has to be rehomed yet again??

i am sorry, but DOG AGGRESSION is part of the pit bull breed. if you dont want to deal with it then dont foster pit bulls.. or know your limits.. i am sick and tired of dogs being pushed around because they got into fights with the resident dogs due to the fosters not paying attention.. you NEVER ever let a new dog mingle with your dogs the first few weeks they are with you, and especially not a whelping mother.. i am tired of the woe is me crap, find a new foster, cant deal with it, etc..

:bowDown:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Maryellen wrote:and this isnt the first time she has taken in a dog that she had to refoster to another home. that is the point.. i will not sugar coat anything from anyone, if i feel that they should be more careful i will state it. if i find out that they did this prior to this post, i will more then certainly state how i feel.. again, this is for the dogs, its bad enough susie was in another foster home and had to be rehomed , now she has to be rehomed yet again??

Maryellen,

I have never found another home for one of my fosters. Not sure where you get that from. I've gotta go be room mother for my son's kindergarten class now. I said I will deal with Susie and I will. So chill, kay?
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 12:04 pm

muse wrote:She also offered some great advice and provided links.. does one count out the other?

Yep, I said thanks for the links. And I will utilise them. Thanks, Alma. Gotta go now, though.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue