Susie needs a Foster Home

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 10:14 am

How long have you had Susie & her pups?
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:19 am

About three weeks.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 10:22 am

and she's trained on Invisible Fencing already?
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 10:24 am

even though the pups have not had their vaccines, ask for help for them too.. it doesnt matter if they didnt get vaccines yet, because if a rescue will step up and take them from you, they will vaccinate them, and put them in quarantine prior to introducing them to other dogs.. and they can travel and go to another place.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:26 am

a-bull wrote:and she's trained on Invisible Fencing already?

Yep. Why?
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:29 am

Maryellen wrote:even though the pups have not had their vaccines, ask for help for them too.. it doesnt matter if they didnt get vaccines yet, because if a rescue will step up and take them from you, they will vaccinate them, and put them in quarantine prior to introducing them to other dogs.. and they can travel and go to another place.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that shuffling around the puppies is the best idea at this point. I am equipped to handle the babies, and they are not increasing the stress level here. Susie is stressing out my other dogs, not the puppies. And the puppies need some stability at this point in their lives. They are at a critical stage of development--Susie is not. They are MUCH more succeptible to disease right now than Susie is. I already have vaccines for the babies. They will receive their first set this weekend.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 10:32 am

then i would beg all the places i gave you to take susie...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:33 am

Maryellen wrote:then i would beg all the places i gave you to take susie...

Yep, sending out emails right now...
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 10:34 am

savagem wrote:
a-bull wrote:and she's trained on Invisible Fencing already?

Yep. Why?

So you started training her the day you got her??
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:36 am

Nope, after about a week. It took about 15 minutes and two shocks to train her. I've done it with several fosters. I don't leave her out unattended, but at least I know she's not going to make a run for the road now, and I can allow her to play ball outside.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » May 24th, 2006, 10:36 am

i would also make sure for the pups, you do extensive screening for the right home, which includes vet refs, 3 personal refs, and home visits.. i usually am at a home visit for anywhere 1-2 hours, as i go over everythiing. if you want help for the home visit stuff if you never did one i have a 4 page questionaire that i ask everyone at the home visit.. it goes over everything basically , then i add few things after.. i even have a pretty good app too for prospective adopters as well.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:40 am

I've also just forwarded Susie's info to the rescue group I've used to place all of my other fosters. With any luck, I can find her a forever home quickly. Of course, she needs to be spayed first and gain some more weight. But it can't hurt to start looking for her permanent home now and get one lined up. I just thought of something else--the awesome boarding facility that is 5 minutes away from me has offered me 1/2 price for boarding for rescues. This amounts to $70.00 per week, including food. Maybe after Memorial Day weekend, this could be an option for Susie? What do you all think? I could visit her every day, but she wouldn't be stressing out my other dogs.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 10:42 am

savagem wrote:Nope, after about a week. It took about 15 minutes and two shocks to train her. I've done it with several fosters. I don't leave her out unattended, but at least I know she's not going to make a run for the road now, and I can allow her to play ball outside.

Wow. Not sure I would be training foster pitbulls on Invisible Fencing for lots of reasons.

Also, if you are "training" dogs on Invisible Fencing in "15 minutes" and "two shocks," you're not using it properly and the chances of failure are high.

Do you own your own rescue? I know you use to pull dogs and foster dogs for SPBR, but didn't you do rescue on your own before that?
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:42 am

Maryellen wrote:i would also make sure for the pups, you do extensive screening for the right home, which includes vet refs, 3 personal refs, and home visits.. i usually am at a home visit for anywhere 1-2 hours, as i go over everythiing. if you want help for the home visit stuff if you never did one i have a 4 page questionaire that i ask everyone at the home visit.. it goes over everything basically , then i add few things after.. i even have a pretty good app too for prospective adopters as well.

Yep, I always do a vet check and at least two personal references. I would be interested in seeing what you have for a home check. I've only done home checks for 50% of my adoptions, but I plan to do them for every one of these puppers.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 10:44 am

You don't homecheck all your placements? They weren't pitbulls, I hope. :?
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:46 am

a-bull wrote:
savagem wrote:Nope, after about a week. It took about 15 minutes and two shocks to train her. I've done it with several fosters. I don't leave her out unattended, but at least I know she's not going to make a run for the road now, and I can allow her to play ball outside.

Wow. Not sure I would be training foster pitbulls on Invisible Fencing for lots of reasons.

Also, if you are "training" dogs on Invisible Fencing in "15 minutes" and "two shocks," you're not using it properly and the chances of failure are high.

Do you own your own rescue? I know you use to pull dogs and foster dogs for SPBR, but didn't you do rescue on your own before that?

No, I do not "own" a rescue. Yes, I've used my own resources to foster and adopt out quite a few dogs on my own over the past year. Most were not pitbulls. I've adopted out a pom, several smaller mixes, and several pit mixes. I have never had a single problem with a foster that I've put on the invisible fence. The ONLY problem I've had with the fence, period, is when the battery wore out on one of my own dogs' collars. I really don't want to get into an invisible fence debate here, though. :|
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:47 am

a-bull wrote:You don't homecheck all your placements? They weren't pitbulls, I hope. :?

No, I do not. And no, the ones I did not do homechecks for were not pitbulls.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » May 24th, 2006, 10:50 am

Sometimes when you post certain things, such as a picture of a foster pitbull that you've only had for three weeks on an Invisible Fencing system, you can't control whether a debate will ensue or not.

I, however, am certainly not going to start a debate with you about Invisible Fencing, because you sound like you're overwhelmed enough, and that's a whole other thread . . .
Last edited by a-bull on May 24th, 2006, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby LindsaySF » May 24th, 2006, 10:50 am

I think the boarding facility is a great idea Mel. Especially because they are so close and you can visit her often. It will make the transition much less stressful for her.

One thing though, I wouldn't suggest her entering a kennel environment until she is up to full weight and all of her hookworms are gone first. How many more worming treatments does she have left? Once you think she's in the clear I can come and get a fecal sample from you to make sure she is hookworm-free. If she has even a few eggs being shed in the stool, it could cause a massive outbreak at the kennel.

About the 'guilt trip' Melanie has received, maybe that was not the intention of some of the members, but it was what happened. Mel knows her limitations, that is why she did not offer to take Susie in. But Susie was in a jam from her first foster home (a serious one that could not be helped), and when she received a frantic phone call from Eric, she agreed.

It is not ideal for Susie to need another foster now, but 8 puppies are alive and well right now because Melanie agreed to foster. If she had not, god knows where these dogs would be right now (probably in Eric's basement...) And Susie and pups came to Melanie's house before any of us knew all the bad things about SPBR. So please cut her some slack here.

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby savagem » May 24th, 2006, 10:51 am

a-bull wrote:Sometimes when you post certain things, such as a picture of a foster pitbull that you've only had for three weeks on an Invisible Fencing system, you can't control whether a debate will ensue of not.

I, however, am certainly not going to start a debate with you about Invisible Fencing, because you sound like you're overwhelmed enough, and that's a whole other thread . . .

Thank you. That's nice of you.
savagem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue