"Blink" born with No Eyes...

Postby TheRedQueen » September 27th, 2010, 9:38 am

HappyChick wrote:I have a plan for training, but I don't want to discuss it because I'd rather not have it picked apart. I know there are people who are less than pleased with Lauralei coming to me.

Okay, I wasn't going to step in and say anything...but now I have to do so...and I'll try and make it brief.

I am NOT upset about her going to you, Angie, in particular. What I am upset about it the fact that a HOME was lined up for her...a REAL, honest-to-goodness home...where she could live forever, and be adopted. That was lined up...and a foster home lined up too (me) in case the adoption fell through somehow. But she would have gone straight into an adoptive home, rather than a foster. So am I annoyed and irritated, hell yeah. But it honestly doesn't have anything to do with YOUR capabilities, or anyone else's rescue...it just plain has to do with the fact that I think it's beyond idiotic to foster when there is a home out there. A home that wanted ANOTHER (yes, their first dog was special needs) special needs dog to adopt and care for.

So...it's nothing personal to you or your fostering...or your house...or your plans for her. It has everything to do with a "I got dibs" type of behavior in rescues nowadays. :nono: Like I said, I wasn't gonna post anything...but I had to put this out in the open, and clear things up for you and everyone else.

Now I'm really done with this topic. :wave2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LMM » September 27th, 2010, 10:20 am

Oh my :(

It really doesn't make sense for this sweetie to be in a foster home/rescue situation when she has an adoptive home lined up with a back up foster or guardian (Erin) in place in case that doesn't work out.

I'm not sure what happened here but...
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby mnp13 » September 27th, 2010, 5:26 pm

LMM wrote:Oh my :(

It really doesn't make sense for this sweetie to be in a foster home/rescue situation when she has an adoptive home lined up with a back up foster or guardian (Erin) in place in case that doesn't work out.

I'm not sure what happened here but...

What happened is what you see - the dog is going into rescue instead of going to a permanent home.

As often happens, a rescue started spending time and money on a dog before the dog was actually "theirs" to do so. Then the next step (again as usual) was the "we wanted her" routine. Not that I understand it, since why does a rescue want to take in a dog that will likely do nothing but suck up money for a while, when a home is available that wants her, but the decision was made so that's what's happening.

Somehow it got personal, though I am mystified as to why.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » September 27th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Sending good thoughts for her vet/spay appointment tomorrow! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » September 27th, 2010, 6:19 pm

I won't pretend to understand how and why rescues work the way they do. Overall, I commend them on the dedication and work they do each and every day. However, I do know the exact thing happened to us when we wanted to adopt a puppy out of New York. It was there one day and gone without a trace the next. It is very disheartening if you are on the losing end of the political stick.

All things happen for a reason, and I have to assume Duke was on track to come to Texas we just didn't know it yet. I was very disappointed when the puppy deal fell through, but am very thankful we were available to give Duke a loving home.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby BigDogBuford » September 27th, 2010, 7:29 pm

A lot of rescues take in the high profile 'tug at your heart string' dogs as donation generators. Not saying that's the case here because I have no idea who the rescue is, but it happens all the time. They then drag these poor dogs to adoption event and fairs and pimp them for donations.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » September 27th, 2010, 7:42 pm

hugapitbull wrote:I won't pretend to understand how and why rescues work the way they do. Overall, I commend them on the dedication and work they do each and every day. However, I do know the exact thing happened to us when we wanted to adopt a puppy out of New York. It was there one day and gone without a trace the next. It is very disheartening if you are on the losing end of the political stick.

That puppy wasn't politics, it was just unfortunate timing... The shelter had them all returned, and I had my name "in" for it. However, it got adopted by a shelter employee before it ever made it to the adoption floor. It sucked and I felt horrible, but I was just another person "in line" for the puppy and when they went back in for processing he got adopted before he was available to the public. I was also heart broken for you...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » September 27th, 2010, 9:51 pm

mnp13 wrote:That puppy wasn't politics, it was just unfortunate timing... The shelter had them all returned, and I had my name "in" for it. However, it got adopted by a shelter employee before it ever made it to the adoption floor. It sucked and I felt horrible, but I was just another person "in line" for the puppy and when they went back in for processing he got adopted before he was available to the public. I was also heart broken for you...

There is nothing to explain or defend in how it happened, it was beyond any of our control. My only point is for outsiders looking in it appears willing adopters are being sidestepped, whether it is intentional or not. Where that appearance exists, so does politics, which I would think rescues would work very hard to avoid.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » September 27th, 2010, 10:09 pm

hugapitbull wrote:There is nothing to explain or defend in how it happened, it was beyond any of our control. My only point is for outsiders looking in it appears willing adopters are being sidestepped, whether it is intentional or not. Where that appearance exists, so does politics, which I would think rescues would work very hard to avoid.

I know, it just sucked... in your case, you were a willing adopter, but another adopter got in there before we did because she worked there. She wasn't trying to "take" him from us/you, she didn't know that we wanted him. It was a house (hers) or a house (ultimately, yours) - he didn't end up every hitting the adoption floor though.

This isn't really the same case.

However, what's done is done. She's getting vetted and spayed tomorrow, and she'll be at Angie's soon. Speaking of which, when is she heading up? Sooner than later I hope, I can't imagine temp fostering a wild child like that one...

I'm sure she'll be listed for adoption with the rescue at some point, so we can hope that she'll have an adoptive home soon. Some rescues have a holding period for their intake dogs, I don't know if this one does, I don't know what one it is. What one is it?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » September 28th, 2010, 8:59 am

OKAY..................
Doggie At Vet...............Please send good wishes she does well!!

I have 'okayed' preliminary blood work, dose of frontline (for the flea problem) pain meds, and an over all health check.
They also said that a doggie born with no eyes may sometimes have other underlying internal issues that may go along with a particular genetic defect. She may require another night of boarding just for monitoring.

She is beginning her Journey TODAY.... :D

I am calling for a car rental in a bit..........whew.......

I hope everything settles once this doggie is placed. :? :rolleyes2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby mnp13 » September 28th, 2010, 9:31 am

Woo Hoo! So she gets spayed today, and off to foster tomorrow, or on Thursday? I hope everything goes well. I see what they are saying about the eyes - if something went wrong to make eyes not form, they want to check and see if anything else went wrong? (is that correct?)

Settle down? lmao you are so funny!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » September 28th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Hey Michelle.... :)
Poochie-Woochie Will Most Likely Begin Her Journey Thursday...Maybe Friday, depending on When the Vet Releases Her From Care!

I have the car rental all lined up!! (thanks to Fairy Dog-Mother!) :wink: and Angie will meet me in Quincy Illinois -----about an hour and half (maybe less) from Angie's house!
That way,I can go ahead and rest over and head back home to work!

The previous owner told me they 'went through all the dog food last night' and won't have any to tide me over for the dog.
Wasn't a huge deal, but I just wanted to keep her on whatever she has been used to eating until Angie could slowly adapt the dog's diet.
So the owners told me to go to the dollar store and get the cheapest stuff because that's what their dogs eat 'instead of the grocery store food, which has too much protein and gives them the shits'.

:bs:
ahem.
oooooookey.
Dokey then.
:cry:
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » September 28th, 2010, 1:57 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:So the owners told me to go to the dollar store and get the cheapest stuff because that's what their dogs eat 'instead of the grocery store food, which has too much protein and gives them the shits'.
:bs:
ahem.
oooooookey.
Dokey then.
:cry:

OMG... :shock: >(

Maybe you can keep her on what she's eating at the vet for the time being... or start her off on some puppy food?
I am SO glad she's outta there!!! :D :D :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » September 28th, 2010, 2:47 pm

uh....YEAH. :cuss: :sad2:
ArtGypsy

Postby madremissy » September 28th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Holy Chriminy. Thank goodness she is out. I hope everything went oK today with her spay. Soon she will have some love that she has never had before. Your new journey has begun Lauralie :butterfly:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby amazincc » September 28th, 2010, 6:31 pm

Any updates from the vet???
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » September 28th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Today begins her new life. Great vet care, someone waiting to take her to her new home that CARES, and a wonderful foster mom waiting on the other end.

Happy Birthday sweetheart, it's the first day of the rest of your life.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » September 28th, 2010, 6:56 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Today begins her new life. Great vet care, someone waiting to take her to her new home that CARES, and a wonderful foster mom waiting on the other end.

Happy Birthday sweetheart, it's the first day of the rest of your life.

Oooh, I LOVE that, Shanna!!! :D

Happy Birthday, little girl, and an official "Welcome to PBT"! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » October 9th, 2010, 10:54 am

Erin - do you think that same home might be interested in a deaf dog? It's a different "special need" but still a rescue! Matt and Heidi have a deaf female foster right now.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » October 12th, 2010, 8:53 am

mnp13 wrote:Erin - do you think that same home might be interested in a deaf dog? It's a different "special need" but still a rescue! Matt and Heidi have a deaf female foster right now.

Nope, they went ahead and got a new dog already...:)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Previous

Return to Rescue