Whiskey needs someone, and soon!

Postby dlynne1123 » June 21st, 2010, 8:13 pm

Whiskey has been surrendered into rescue from a home that just couldn't handle a pit bull. I wish there were less of them, but greatful they contacted a rescue I am affiliated with, as their town doesn't adopt out bullies. He did live with his doggie sister (whom they kept b/c she had less problems) and three little toddlers which he adored. They were too embarassed to take him anywhere so he became the bedroom dog and when it came time to move they were only allowed one dog. They chose to give him up.

Hes a 3 year old, neutered, male pit bull terrier. Hes currently about 43 lbs and I call this his 'fighting weight' as he could use some more but if hes active this is ideal. He has some allergies that other than thinner hair than most, seems to be controllable with certain foods and consistency. Hes been a little aloof lately with all the bouncing around but has found a temporary foster willing to take him. The first night they wanted him 'gone bc of his reactive tendancies towards critters.' They neglected to tell us they had a chinchilla! So far, we have seen him be very reactive on leash at first, but has made great strides in only two weeks! He was able to go campign with the couple, and be on leash with other dogs after lots of exercise and some desensitizing training. He has successfully met a dog or two on accident that wasn't horrible, which surprised everyone. Yet we do not want this to happen again.

The kicker is this foster home has been accepted into the Peace Corps so their fostering time is limited to August. The rescue I deal with doesn't have enough bully saavy homes to crate and rotate while training is in progress or even understand why he can't just go to the dog park to 'burn some energy.'

In my home, I am certain he would be fine, in time, with patience and lots of training. I however am limited to three dogs while construction on the home and my work schedule is too busy for this summer to take on a third 'needy' dog.

We would love some networking as well as anyone who knows of great fosters in the New England area willing to foster for this organization. They are wonderful, pay for everything, follow up and the adoption process is very thorough, and with bullies they often seek my advice or another local bully trainer.

Hes energetic, smallish, and loves to cuddle when given the time to bond with you. He makes me miss my male Lojac to be honest.

He may never play with other dogs, but I strongly agree he can learn to be polite on leash in public places (within reason) with the right people and the right structure.

Can I just say, that in two, only two, obedience classes he has gone from kicking, screaming, lunging and being obnoxious to class two, behind a screen, working find it games, obedience with a clicker and even peek a boo with dogs in the class for a reward. He has potential! He will need a patient home, willing to be dedicated to training and in turn he will be a great companion for the right family.

See http://luckypuprescue.org/

or pm me if you know of anyone who may be willing to help out. We are in Maine so the organizer does like fosters to be extra enthusiastic or close by so we can keep tabs!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » June 25th, 2010, 2:04 pm

It sounds as though the temporary foster we had lined up for Whiskey is not willing to handle his dog on dog reactivity, and has a dog of their own and they can't rotate dogs. His time is limited and the shelter in MA said he would be euthanized if we have to send him back. If anyone knows of a reputable rescue with fosters that can handle dog reactive dogs, please pm me. Hes got two weeks and we may have to send him back to the shelter that will euthanize him. Anywhere in the new england area, Lucky Pup would appreciate some help with fosters or rescues more suited to take him. Hes made great progress we are just running out of places to put him! They are a great rescue, their foster population just isn't prepared for bullies of any sort, let alone ones that need warm up times with other dogs, not just dog park meet n greets.

Thanks again for any info or help! And again, hes being less and less reactive by the day, just cant' be set out to play with other dogs without proper handler skills and proper dog pairing. He loves people too! He couldn't be dragged away from the park yesterday with a boat load of kids. I'm holding out hope we can at least find another foster.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 25th, 2010, 5:36 pm

:neutral: Fingers crossed and sending out to everyone I know.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » June 25th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Good luck to Whiskey! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Rescue