AniMeals in Oregon

Postby iluvk9 » February 22nd, 2009, 10:23 am

I saw this on the news. What a nice idea to help seniors KEEP their dogs.

Way to go, Clackamus! :wave2:

http://www.fido-clackamas.org/index.php ... 5&Itemid=5

It's a fact: Many seniors who receive home-delivered meals give up their food to feed their cats and dogs.

That's why FIDO started AniMeals. This is a partnership with Clackamas County Social Services and Senior Meals programs to provide nutritious pet food for the cats and dogs of people who receive home-delivered meals. AniMeals was inspired by a program founded by the Helen Woodward Animal Center in San Diego, California. Every other week AniMeals serves 222 cats and 101 dogs by delivering 888 lbs. of cat food and 606 lbs. of dog food to local senior centers There are over 162 seniors currently signed up to receive pet food along with their senior meals.

Here's how it works:
Senior centers in Clackamas County tell FIDO the number of needy dogs and cats in their senior meals programs. Dog food and cat food is donated to FIDO, and stored in a central location. Volunteers package the food into two-week portions for each senior center and/or household. Volunteers deliver the AniMeals to the senior centers. Every two weeks AniMeals are delivered to homes by drivers of home-delivered meals for seniors and our AniMeals volunteers.

But FIDO can't do it all alone . . . Here's how you can help -

Tell family and friends about AniMeals and the need for donations.
When shopping, buy one more bag of your favorite pet food to donate to AniMeals.
Drop off dog and cat food at the AniMeals room at 2106 Kaen Rd, Oregon City (next door to the dog shelter.) Contact Linda Cloud, our Animeals Coordinator at 971-678-6940 to arrange a time to drop off your donation. Or you can drop off a donation at one of the following locations:
Healthy Pet Lake Grove

(503) 636-3186

16140 SW Boones Ferry Rd

(new location 1/09)

Canby Adult Center
(503) 266-2970
1250 S. Ivy, Canby 97013

Gladstone Senior Center
(503) 655-7701
1050 Portland Avenue, Gladstone 97027

Milwaukie Center
(503) 653-8100
5440 SE Kellogg Creek Drive

Milwaukie 97222

Pioneer Community Center
(503) 657-8287
615 5th Street, Oregon City 97045
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » February 22nd, 2009, 11:37 am

:rock:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » February 22nd, 2009, 11:52 am

I am glad that is starting to spread around. My mom and dad's church does that. This church is really into animals ( this is the one who baptises animals) so they know how much animals mean to people. They have a specific day of the month where when you come to church you bring dog food.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby LMM » February 22nd, 2009, 12:10 pm

That is so freaking awesome!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 22nd, 2009, 12:16 pm

Here's another program similar to that which is nationwide.

http://www.petsofhomeless.org/

It will tell you where you can drop off food for homeless people's pets.

Fair warning, some of the pics are sad. My fave is the very first pic on the homepage.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » February 22nd, 2009, 2:17 pm

The AniMeals program has been an enormous success and it keeps people eating people food and animals eating animal food, so everyone gets the right nutrition.

FIDO is the supporting non-profit for our shelter and we are very proud of the successes. This month they are starting a food bank. Open once a month to help folks in this economy that are having trouble feeding their pets.

We are starting, like most shelters, to see an uptick in the number of owner surrenders that are actually telling us they can't afford to feed their animals. Some folks are having to make decisions about feeding children or paying the electric bill and feeding their animals. After about the umpteenth time I heard that I went to FIDO and we decided this shouldn't be an unsurmountable problem, thus the food bank was born.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » February 22nd, 2009, 2:39 pm

Hey, who does the actual delivering of food to seniors? I'd like to get a program like this stared up here and am wondering who I should contact first.....
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » February 22nd, 2009, 2:49 pm

They have it set up so the folks that deliver the meals also deliver the animal food. They have a group of volunteers that take the huge bags delivered and break them down into more manageable sizes for everyone.

I think our group has a volunteer group from one of the special education classes at a couple of local schools.

I'll get you some phone numbers and get them to you for contact.

It has been an excellent program and is extremely well received.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » February 22nd, 2009, 7:33 pm

How awesome is THAT??? :shock: :clap:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby kera09 » March 19th, 2009, 9:50 pm

wow i love to hear things like this!!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Rescue