Boerboel Mastiff - Lollypop Farm, Rochester NY

Postby nicole » November 5th, 2008, 11:55 am

CROSS-POSTING REQUESTED PLEASE

Hi All. I received an email last night from Erin Sandle at Lollypop Farm in Rochester, NY regarding a purebred South African Boerboel they now have at their (kill) shelter brought in as a stray found wandering in NY. For the moment, Diesel is safe, but this is a kill shelter and at times animals are euthanized due to lack of space. With that said, time is of the essence in finding Diesel a PROPER adoptive home for a South African Boerboel Mastiff. Experienced owners of dominant breed mastiffs need only apply. This is NOT a dog for a novice owner/home. Lolly Pop Farm is RESCUE FRIENDLY, and ideally, a rescue to pull Diesel would be best. Me personally, I do not like to see rare breed mastiffs adopted straight out of shelters. This is what Rescues do best - pull these wonderful dogs, put them in foster care, give them the proper assessments and training and adopt them ONLY to thoroughly screened homes with personal and veterinary references, background checks and a home visit. We only want the best for this dog and want to make sure the next place he ends up is his perfect forever home and not find his way into a boomerang effect and back on the streets or in the hands of someone who does not know what they're doing or respect this awesome breed. Unfortunately, there is no formal Boerboel Rescue anymore...so I am asking you, my respected and trusted rescue friends and contacts, to help me assist this dog and shelter in giving Diesel his best chances for a successful and loving future. Would you please cross-post, courtesy post and spread the word on Diesel and his plight. Please contact Erin Sandle at Lolly Pop Farm Shetler at #585-223-1330 and help courtesy post on your websites, message boards and personal contacts. Please share this information and the photoshow below (or this link in itself )
THANK YOU.

Please view the photoshow to see pics of this beautiful boy! Please spread the word if you know of any rescues/rescuers who work with dominant breeds

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/rB7Nj5Ab
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » November 5th, 2008, 11:58 am

Oh be still my heart a Mastiff :shock: :sad2:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » November 5th, 2008, 12:32 pm

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby KJS » November 5th, 2008, 1:50 pm

OH GOOD LORD! he looks so sad in the 4th foto :sad2: ....I WANT HIM!
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » November 5th, 2008, 4:34 pm

if only I lived a country closer and could afford another dog :neutral:

Is there something going on with his hind end, or is it just the pics?

He looks lovely...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby nicole » November 5th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Marinepits wrote:http://www.gentlegiantsrescue.com/south_african_boerboel_mastiffs.htm

http://www.kateconnick.com/links_boerboel.html

thanks Jen, I'll pass along the links. I feel like there was something shady about gentle giants...not sure, I might be getting them confused with someone else. I'll have to look into it.

Malli wrote:if only I lived a country closer and could afford another dog :neutral:

Is there something going on with his hind end, or is it just the pics?

He looks lovely...

LOL..."a country closer" :D

Hmmm...not sure about his hind end, good eye though...I'll mention it to my friend just in case.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » November 5th, 2008, 10:13 pm

You may be thinking of Land of Giants run by Ken Buzzell which indeed would be shady
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby adoptanapbt » November 6th, 2008, 12:00 am

The Gentle Giants rescue in SoCal IS hinky.
http://www.gentlegiantnews.com/index.php
Desdemona, CGC (FS APBT 5/05)
Aggie (aka Demonspawn), PITA (MN flame point Siamese/DSH 12/06)
Beanie, PITA in training (MN flame point Siamese/DSH 7/07)

http://www.merideprettyoneday.blogspot.com
adoptanapbt
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BullyLady » November 6th, 2008, 2:50 am

Can I ask you a stupid question? If he was found as a stray, then how do they know he is purebred Boerboel?
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Marinepits » November 6th, 2008, 8:14 am

adoptanapbt wrote:The Gentle Giants rescue in SoCal IS hinky.
http://www.gentlegiantnews.com/index.php

Oh, no! That's horrible. :nono:

Sounds suspiciously like another "rescue" I know.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby nicole » November 6th, 2008, 9:06 am

BullyLady wrote:Can I ask you a stupid question? If he was found as a stray, then how do they know he is purebred Boerboel?

There is no way to definately tell of course, my friend who runs a mastiff sanctuary sent this to me. She owns about 5 rescued boerboel and this is her estimate. I'd definately say he was Boerboel by the pics alone. Plus, there was another one recently surrendered to that very same shelter a few months back, so there seems to be a few in that area. :|
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby nicole » November 16th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Diesel was euthanized this morning. He was showing signs of aggression from his kennel and staff felt this was the best decision. Frustratingly enough, a rescue and foster home had finally stepped up.

Run free Diesel
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » November 16th, 2008, 10:26 pm

I am so sorry to read this :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » November 16th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Oh, crap. :cry:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » November 17th, 2008, 4:45 am

:sad2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » November 17th, 2008, 7:16 am

RIP Diesel :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby KJS » November 17th, 2008, 9:30 am

What a shame they did not think a little longer and give him the chance that his kenneled aggression would not be present in an unkenneled situation...some dogs just cant cope with being locked up...

RIP Diesel....sleep well :(
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Return to Rescue