Disturbing letter about Smilin Pit Bull Rescue - Buffalo, NY

Postby mnp13 » June 12th, 2008, 2:40 pm

What do you know about the "puppy parties"?

*I changed the title of the thread, we're talking about SPBR, so we're going to name it correctly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby nicole » June 12th, 2008, 2:52 pm

mnp13 wrote:What do you know about the "puppy parties"?

*I changed the title of the thread, we're talking about SPBR, so we're going to name it correctly.

I was never at any of the "infamous" puppy parties, but I was around when they had one for Tiffany's litter aka "the blues".

They seemed kosher, no adoptions, just a meet-n-greet for approved adopters to view the puppies. I don't think there have been any since.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby gayrghts » June 12th, 2008, 2:55 pm

I can verify that many, many of the pups came out of SPBR with demodetic mange, I saw 2 personally, and I was privy to email with 2 others who had this.

Plus if you follow on the pbsmiles message boards they are constantly talking about pups with this...

I know this can be common with pups, but its also a sign of stress, malnutrition, and general unhealthy conditions.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby SBRN » June 12th, 2008, 3:27 pm

the puppy parties were before me also.

I can only back what Nicole said from what I have heard.
SBRN
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » June 12th, 2008, 3:28 pm

nicole wrote:I was never at any of the "infamous" puppy parties, but I was around when they had one for Tiffany's litter aka "the blues".

They seemed kosher, no adoptions, just a meet-n-greet for approved adopters to view the puppies. I don't think there have been any since.

I had the same experience when I hosted one
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby LMM » June 12th, 2008, 3:28 pm

What is a puppy party? Just a meet and greet?

nevermind, question answered!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » June 12th, 2008, 4:47 pm

I am SO sad for all the dogs involved. :sad2:

Is there anything we can do to help put him out of business? :mad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SBRN » June 12th, 2008, 5:40 pm

tell the truth. That is really the best solution here.

They are resorting to lies and insults and for anyone to stoop down to insult them would harm
the case against him. He knows, as well as his admins, what he does, what his crimes are.

The admin over there now is backing him knowing full well all of the knowledge she has about
what he does.

We are in an open forum here because truth doesn't need to hide.
SBRN
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » June 12th, 2008, 5:44 pm

SBRN wrote:tell the truth. That is really the best solution here.

I hate to tell you, but many of us have been telling the truth for freaking YEARS and nothing has happened.

My name is Joyce. I was the Mod, "iluvk9" before you got there.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » June 12th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Thank you, Joyce. Well said.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby nicole » June 12th, 2008, 6:47 pm

It may seem like its not doing anything, but his world is definately growing smaller...

This round of truth being spread has signed affidavits and documentation from shelters, adopters, and vets, which support the stories. This info has been sent out to other rescues, shelters and vets who will no longer work with him.

Its definately discouraging, but it won't happen overnight and it certainly won't happen without true evidence beyond speculation and hearsay.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rescuedogmama » June 12th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Hi all. I've been here before, and gotten some slack for a foster I had. Long story, that was supposed to be an SPBR dog, but because of all the problems associated with his group, a friend with another rescue decided to take responsibility for that foster. He has since been adopted and is doing well.

Anyway, I was banned today, whee. Some of you might have seen my long email that went out. (My story). It started out to cover my arse because I was being accused of stealing a case of dog food out of the 20 that I drove up to NY from CT. I'm still waiting for my $150 in gas money that I was promised.

I don't know a lot of details, as I wasn't a mod for long, but it was enough for my taste.

I think Lox is considered a foster failure. When I was there last month, I believe he was crated in the kitchen/dining area with the other dogs. Where Spud used to be. :(

I had a large group of adopters to my house a couple of months ago to get their puppies. These were all approved adopers though. I did one of the home visits myself. Eric drove down with the puppies, and the adopters met here, since it was pretty central to all of them. He did bring Delilah down with him too, to be fostered by another member. She was fat. I guess from being crated for so long with him. She peed and pooped in her crate while being on my back porch for about 2 hours.

I was also wondering about that tag sale!! I was going to help, and then realized that it was the day I was leaving for North Carolina for vacation, so was unable to. Apparently someone was moving, and had offered the contents of their home to be sold off for the rescue. Very expensive furniture and items, since it was in Fairfield County, CT. I never heard back about how much was made. We never heard anything about it afterword. You would think that you would come back excited and post how much you made to the rescue, right?

If I can answer any more questions, I will. I was just fed up. I couldn't support a person who wasn't getting proper vetting for dogs. In my world, you vet first, worry about how to recoup the money later. :(
rescuedogmama
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » June 12th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Holy shyt Aimee you were banned????? :shock:

I didn't get the email you sent out, did you get mine?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby rescuedogmama » June 12th, 2008, 7:55 pm

I got yours. I will send you mine. :)
rescuedogmama
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » June 12th, 2008, 8:00 pm

Care to share with the class? :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » June 12th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Share NOW, ladies!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby rescuedogmama » June 12th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Weeeelll, if you insist. :) It's rather long. This would have been my farewell post, had I not been banned.

So, as of today, I'm one of the banished members. What I want to do is clear up everything I've been holding in for months. Whether you choose to believe it or not is fine.

First and foremost. I did NOT steal a case of food on my trip to Buffalo on 5/24, as Eric has alleged. I resent the accusation more than you know. I work for a police department, and my education has been in the study of Criminology and Forensic Science. I pride myself on doing the right thing, even when it means that I get screwed over (again and again). To question my integrity like that is absolutely disgusting.

I volunteered to drive 6 hours each way to deliver this food for Julie and the other fosters in need, (since he had yet again taken on multiple litters of puppies) NOT for Eric. Julie has been saddled with so many tough cases that I cannot believe she is still doing it. She is amazing, and I wish she would get credit where it is due. I had to deal with the crazy haired woman telling me that there was no order, then waited an hour to get on the road.

I drove to NY, called Eric when I got off the exit, which is when he told me "Ok, I'm off exit 54." I assumed that to mean that he was driving and would be delayed. So I stopped off at a Target on Transit Road (I believe) to grab some things I needed, then continued on to Eric's home. When we finished unloading, that is when he said that there were only 19 cases. I did not count them when I was there. The employee packaged them and recruited Andy to tape up the boxes. I assumed (wrongly, I guess) that she packed 20. Then Andy, Kat, and I walked outside and back to the loading dock. The woman must have loaded the pallet jack inside and moved it to the dock. From there, I took boxes and passed them to Andy, who was in my car loading. I did not count them, as I just wanted them loaded so I could get driving. She JUST packed them! I took a picture of the 600lbs of food in my car, thinking it was neat that I could haul that much, and was going to post it on my Honda board. Then I left. I spent over $150 on gas, and now am told that the case will be deducted from my gas money. That's just wrong.

As for my other reasons for getting out. I stepped down from being a mod because I can't stand seeing the way things were run. I used to be there. I used to defend Eric and SPBR to the end. I would see what was written and think, "That's crazy! He is such a nice guy, look at his website and the fancy pictures. How can people say these things?" But the more I learned, the more frustrated I became. More and more people were leaving, and the stories continued.

I compared it to the rescue I had been volunteering with at the time, and other rescues I was familiar with. Things were not adding up.

I tried to get in touch with a rescue in GA to adopt out a pup to SPBR. I was told in no uncertain terms that they will NOT adopt any dog to Eric or SPBR. crap, the CT Humane Society gave their worker grief when I pulled Harvey for SPBR. So my rescue put her ass on the line recommending SPBR (on my word), only to be looked at with suspicion for her association with them.

A reputable rescue does NOT withhold vet care for a dog until donations come in or checks clear. That's just unethical. You don't take dogs if you cannot afford to get them vetted. Sorry, but it's true. I'm not even talking about letting fosters go to the vet for a sniffle. That's normal. But when puppies or dogs are accepted, they should be taken to a vet that day or within a couple of days. You need to know what you are dealing with right away.

You don't use homemade remedies on dogs just to save money. The forest pups almost DIED. For what? To save money on vet bills, or because the friends that are vets wouldn't ship free meds AGAIN? And to ask the humane society who gave away a dog to be fostered in the rescue to give free meds because the dog was sick in their care? Absurd.

Not to mention Eric's own dogs. I arrived to Daisy jumping on me, leaving a 5 inch, bleeding scratch on my stomach from her long nails. It went through my shirt! But god forbid anyone else has poorly trained dogs. The dogs' nails are always long. Poor Precious had horrible nails that Shelley tried to cut at my house. He can spend a whole day watering the lawn, planting bamboo, and whatever but can't bring the dogs to get a nail trim?

And leaving his dogs crated alone overnight or for 16-18 hours at a time? I've seen it. The night of the fundraiser. He had been in Ohio with some girl getting milk jugs or something all day. They went back to the house for a couple of hours and then it was time to go to Rochester. Joe dropped me off to ride with them. This was at what, 6 o'clock? We didn't get back until maybe 10 or so, which is when Eric and his friend stayed at Joe's because they were too drunk/tired to drive. So the dogs were alone for most of the day, then from 6pm until noon or one the next day? Come on! But he doesn't want to adopt to people that don't join the forum?

Last but certainly not least, Spud. I feel something is seriously wrong with someone who can discuss their colonoscopy and sex life with fellow dog lovers, but not the passing of his beloved dog from a natural disease. It's all about the dogs, but why not commiserate with us? We would have supported him and shared in his grief. But no, we'll avoid the topic, and any questions about said dog will be ignored. How strange and obvious.

I wish everyone else that is donating time, money, and energy into helping Eric and his rescue would really get to know what he is about. He is selfish, and only wants people around who won't ask questions, and will stroke his ego. I can't waste anymore of my time dealing with such a hypocrite. I just say this because I was there. I know how great everything looks on the surface. But there is a lot going on behind the scenes that just isn't right.

I'll miss the people who really mattered there, but I need to continue helping a group that makes a difference, and who really has the dogs in mind.

-Aimee

rescuedogmama
Just Whelped

Postby nicole » June 12th, 2008, 8:11 pm

well said!

You don't use homemade remedies on dogs just to save money. The forest pups almost DIED. For what? To save money on vet bills, or because the friends that are vets wouldn't ship free meds AGAIN? And to ask the humane society who gave away a dog to be fostered in the rescue to give free meds because the dog was sick in their care? Absurd.

wow :shock:

And leaving his dogs crated alone overnight or for 16-18 hours at a time? I've seen it. The night of the fundraiser. He had been in Ohio with some girl getting milk jugs or something all day. They went back to the house for a couple of hours and then it was time to go to Rochester. Joe dropped me off to ride with them. This was at what, 6 o'clock? We didn't get back until maybe 10 or so, which is when Eric and his friend stayed at Joe's because they were too drunk/tired to drive. So the dogs were alone for most of the day, then from 6pm until noon or one the next day? Come on! But he doesn't want to adopt to people that don't join the forum?

damn, this isn't the first time that someone has said that he has left his dogs unattended and unfed for long periods of time. unbelievable.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » June 12th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Oh mine was what was posted here already in the beginning of the thread! I hold no other secrets lol

Btw, thanks for posting this in the open Aimee. I honestly don't know how people can continue to ignore such horrifically bad experiences from SO many people. Kind of hard to pass Court off as the lone crazy chic when, well, she isn't alone.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby SBRN » June 12th, 2008, 8:21 pm

that isn't the first time I have heard about the unattended dogs. Last time I heard, it was for 2 days.

and the truth may not be immediately shutting him down, but the more of us that are willing to speak out and not hide, tell what we have seen, the more his circle will close. There have been numerous shelters that have DNA/DNR'd him since we left.

We don't have to defend the truth, just show it. Meanwhile, they are lying, manipulating and insulting, playing hide the topic. You say why this, and they say, yeah well.....this. Right now, I am being touted as the sole captain of this ship over there. :crazy2: Right now, they are talking trash about a dog that I had euth'd for aggression/safety issues and the person doing the bashing was there for me through it, and has a manbiter herself. This is what we are dealing with. Don't plead your side... talk trash, it gets the ooooooh's and ahhhhhh's to hide the real problem. Then ban those who don't follow.

Aimee, I am sorry that you had to find out the truth as you did. It is a sucky reality, but at the very least, you didn't stay long and you are voicing what you know in the rescue community. Thank you.
SBRN
Just Whelped

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue