Rat's need rescue adoption or foster homes Pa, NY etc

Postby gayrghts » May 19th, 2008, 3:40 am

I'm just passing this info along, i know nothing more than what this says....

Please repost to other rescue lists!

Dear Animal Advocates,
The good folks at the Humane League down in Philadelphia have had the blessing/ burden of convincing a nearby University to allow the release/rescue of the rats used in repetitive, pointless classroom psychology experiments.

Only this year, there are nearly double as many rats as we've had in previous years- 70 rats, and whichever ones we can't find homes for will be killed.

The past two years we've been fortunate enough - thanks in significant part to your help and compassion - to find homes for all of them.

This year, I am all but certain we will not be able to find homes for all 70. emails to rescue lists and myspace bulletins have gotten us very few offers to help. So, every home that we can find and every rat that we can adopt out is going to be a life saved.

These rats are going to be gassed with carbon monoxide in late June if we have not found homes for them by that time. Again, any rat adopted is literally a lifesaved as we will not find homes
for all of them.

As in previous years the rats are all white albino males, very friendly and sociable.

**if you live in the upstate NY area and can adopt or foster a rat, Please email Amber ASAP at info@syracuseanimalrights.com

**if you do not live in the upstate NY area but are still interested in helping in this situation, please email info@thehumaneleague.com

**for more information in general, visit: http://www.thehumaneleague.com/campaign ... rescue.htm
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby amazincc » May 19th, 2008, 3:42 am

I don't DO rats... but good luck to them. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby gayrghts » May 19th, 2008, 3:46 am

me either, but i know some people here do.... and i figure the least i can do is pass it on.....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 19th, 2008, 8:59 am

i wonder if they do home checks for foster rats :giggle:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby LMM » May 19th, 2008, 9:39 am

I can't believe I am going to ask this but.....what does taking care of a rat entail?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » May 19th, 2008, 10:02 am

amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » May 19th, 2008, 10:50 am

I'm full up on rats 5 females and 1 male :o ...but if anyone needs help with taking care of one...just PM me. :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby gayrghts » May 19th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Would a rat, or a pair of rats be a good office pet?

How messy are they.... how often do there cages need to be cleaned?
Heather

- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 19th, 2008, 3:31 pm

what kind of office would actually let you have a rat there?
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby gayrghts » May 19th, 2008, 3:33 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote:what kind of office would actually let you have a rat there?

I'm a nurse.... work in a setting with teens that live on campus.... have my own office.... would think i could....

other offices have fish, and gerbils and guinea pigs
Heather

- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » May 19th, 2008, 4:51 pm

My girlfriend just lost one of her female rats and is looking to adopt another. I think she still has two. I will pass this info along to her.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » May 19th, 2008, 6:27 pm

gayrghts wrote:Would a rat, or a pair of rats be a good office pet?

How messy are they.... how often do there cages need to be cleaned?

To answer the good office pet...Depends on how friendly they are (some rats are not friendly...I have three that bite...just got a good bite this morning). My friendly ones like to sit on my shoulders and ride around, and climb over my table and desk and couch. They do pee/poop while they walk along, they aren't housebroken...so if you do let them walk around...remember to clean afterwards. Their pee is sticky...and they like to trail it around for scent purposes.

Messy? Depends on the cage...(no aquariums)...if the bottom sides are high enough, they can't kick as much out of their cage. Mine spread shavings and poop all over the counter that they're on...on a daily basis. I sweep/disinfect the counter daily or twice daily.

Cages...again, depends on how big...it should be as large as possible. But, I clean mine out every two weeks...the big cages, the smaller ones (I have quarantine cages) about once a week. No pine or cedar shavings...Carefresh type bedding (paper bedding) or aspen shavings only.

Male rats tend to be very musky in scent...so unless they're neutered, get females. lol That's my personal rule of thumb...I have one neutered male now (the other just died), and five females. No difference in their scent.

ETA...good website
http://petinfopackets.com/rats/ratinfopacket.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Rescue