Trying to find my foster's forever home! (CT)

Postby amazincc » May 8th, 2008, 12:47 pm

LMAO :highfive:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » May 8th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Yeah, if whores weren't welcome here, we wouldnt have as many members! :wink: NO OFFENSE TO ANY WHORES OUT THERE!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » May 8th, 2008, 1:03 pm

:ROFL2:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BigDogBuford » May 8th, 2008, 1:52 pm

rescuedogmama wrote:
Wyldmoonwoman wrote:but you have him now and need to work with him or make the decision to PTS.

BigDogBuford wrote:Are you comfortable placing a dog that has a bite history? IMHO, that is not a responsible thing to do. It was a bite that broke skin and caused serious bruising. I wouldn't even dream of placing a dog with that kind of history.

It sure sounded like people are suggesting I put him down. I'm so confused. I've got people saying he's fine, people saying he needs to be put down. I am so frustrated. :|

What I was getting at is rather than rushing to 'find your foster his forever home' you actually put the work into him that he needs to even be considered for adoption. Personally I would never recommend euthanasia over the internet without meeting the dog in person. I think it's time to stop being 'lazy' (in the context that you used it) and get off your hiney and start some serious work with this pup. Otherwise you're just warehousing a dog who's behavior is probably going to get nothing but worse. He's not 'fine' but he's probably fixable.

I personally wouldn't place him, but that's just me. I also wouldn't euth him unless after a ton of work his behavior kept getting worse. I'd plan on keeping him, working with him and resign myself to the fact that I'd aquired another dog. :|
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby BigDogBuford » May 8th, 2008, 1:59 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Yeah, if whores weren't welcome here, we wouldnt have as many members! :wink: NO OFFENSE TO ANY WHORES OUT THERE!

I'm offended.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby cheekymunkee » May 8th, 2008, 2:44 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Yeah, if whores weren't welcome here, we wouldnt have as many members! :wink: NO OFFENSE TO ANY WHORES OUT THERE!

I'm offended.

Yeah, me too! :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby maberi » May 8th, 2008, 3:02 pm

amazincc wrote:All cheap whores and nippy pups are welcome here. :mrgreen:

I wonder if we can get Michelle to put this on the business cards. I certainly would have signed up quicker had I know this ahead of time
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » May 8th, 2008, 3:28 pm

:topic:

rescuedogmama wrote:
Wyldmoonwoman wrote:but you have him now and need to work with him or make the decision to PTS.

BigDogBuford wrote:Are you comfortable placing a dog that has a bite history? IMHO, that is not a responsible thing to do. It was a bite that broke skin and caused serious bruising. I wouldn't even dream of placing a dog with that kind of history.

It sure sounded like people are suggesting I put him down. I'm so confused. I've got people saying he's fine, people saying he needs to be put down. I am so frustrated. :|

Well, from your own posts, I don't think he's "fine" by any stretch of the imagination. Just from what you've posted, he needs solid management, a serious attitude adjustment and a lot of structure. Until you have him completely under control and reliable, you can not ethically adopt him out to anyone other than a trainer or very very experienced person without children in the home or in the general social circle.

Do I think he "needs" to be put down? No. But like Kat said, you can't continue to be "lazy" with him either. He needs work every single day and everyone in his life needs to be 100% on board with it. He has proved that he will put his teeth on you in anger. I have a snappy, rude jackass but he has never done that in anger and, to me, there is a major difference.

It took many months of hard work to get Riggs (mostly) straightened out and the work is ongoing and will be for the rest of his life. I wouldn't dream of rehoming him and it is actually in my will that he is to be put down if something happens to me and one of two named people do not want to take him perminantly.

You may need to accept that he is in his forever home - yours. If you don't or can't make that commitment, then yes, euthansia may be your alternative. Passing him on is probably not.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » May 8th, 2008, 3:51 pm

mnp13 wrote:Well, from your own posts, I don't think he's "fine" by any stretch of the imagination. Just from what you've posted, he needs solid management, a serious attitude adjustment and a lot of structure. Until you have him completely under control and reliable, you can not ethically adopt him out to anyone other than a trainer or very very experienced person without children in the home or in the general social circle.

Do I think he "needs" to be put down? No. But like Kat said, you can't continue to be "lazy" with him either. He needs work every single day and everyone in his life needs to be 100% on board with it. He has proved that he will put his teeth on you in anger. I have a snappy, rude jackass but he has never done that in anger and, to me, there is a major difference.

It took many months of hard work to get Riggs (mostly) straightened out and the work is ongoing and will be for the rest of his life. I wouldn't dream of rehoming him and it is actually in my will that he is to be put down if something happens to me and one of two named people do not want to take him perminantly.

You may need to accept that he is in his forever home - yours. If you don't or can't make that commitment, then yes, euthansia may be your alternative. Passing him on is probably not.

I agree 1,000% with Michelle.

I also have one of those "difficult" dogs and we've worked HARD with him for three years now. We knew long ago that he'd probably never be "right" enough to adopt out, but we made the committment to him when we pulled him from a shelter as a pup. His only options at this point are to either live with us or be euthanized because he is NOT an adoptable dog -- he has too many issues.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » May 9th, 2008, 2:24 am

No, Harvey isn't "fine", but he IS workable/trainable.

Thank you for being very honest in your posts... most people wouldn't have been as forthcoming, and might have tried to pawn this pup off on someone completely unprepared.
You are doing Harv a HUGE favor by not sugarcoating his issues, since any potential adopter will know exactly what he/she will be getting into - and it will save Harvey from being bounced around a lot because there are no "unpleasant surprises". :wink: :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 9th, 2008, 8:10 am

I also have an unadoptable pit bull...I post cute pictures of her, I love her with all my heart, but she was not socialized as a pup, is dog agressive, and reactive to certain men...it took years of training to teach her how to control herself and even though she is 100% fine at home, out in public in strange situations it is a completely different story until she reaches a level of comfort by going back again and again...it is not fair to ask someone to assume the responsibility of the level of supervision that she requires in those situations and quite frankly, I don't think the average person should have to address behavior problems in a rescue pit bull...it is the rescuers responsibility to make sure that the dog is suitable for placement in a home and the best of the best get adopted...it is also the rescuers responsibility to be available for the life of the dog to offer support with training after the dog is adopted...adopting out pit bulls is serious business, the last thing you want is for your rescue dog to wind up on the cover of the newspaper for another pit bull incident.

I wish you the best and echo the training sentiments expressed here...I apologise mentioning making the decision to PTS, I never meant to upset you and can come across as bitchy, it was based on your lack of time to train this dog, and quite frankly, if you do not want to put the effort into a dog with issues to guarantee a successful placement, humane euthanization is the option that I would recommend before dumping the dog on a family that is unprepared to deal with behavior issues.
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby rescuedogmama » May 13th, 2008, 1:52 pm

Harvey is going to a fellow rescuer in MA. She will be working very hard at socializing him and training him. She also plans on bringing him to work several days a week to help him work on manners. She will then put him up for adoption again, that is, if she doesn't adopt him herself. She's a known foster failure. :D

Thank you for your help and advice.
rescuedogmama
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » May 13th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Best of luck to Harvey!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » May 13th, 2008, 2:51 pm

Ditto, good luck to him!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Previous

Return to Rescue