The importance of MICROCHIPS (in rescue especially)

Postby msvette2u » March 18th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Not just any microchip, one you implant yourself, or have your vet do it if you get queasy over needles, as I do.
Jeff does the duty here for me.
We use 24petwatch.com chips - http://www.24petwatch.com IF you decide to chip with this kind after reading this, please contact me and I'll REFER you. In turn we'll get 75 chips free (and you can then refer your friends just like this!)

We recently had the great luck to be given a Great Dane as an owner surrender. It's a long and complicated story - he was being given away free on Craigslist (hereafter "CL") and in the process, a woman took him who should not have taken him. She in turn gave him to us as her own dog fought with him.
The first way the chip protected us, is that when we found him a new home, the original owner suddenly popped up and said she was not aware that home #2 was going to "dump him" and she then wanted him back. He was not chipped previously by them or home #2.
I informed her that he'd been chipped already and legally registered to another owner already and this owner was dedicated to him (we screen potential owners and do home checks, etc. plus a guarantee if the new owner cannot keep him the dog comes back here). I also explained to her the importance of not giving a dog away on CL, especially to someone you don't even know, with no paperwork, no anything.
Therefore, we were saved once by the microchip we'd implanted - the 24petwatch chip. The original owner would never tell me why she gave up the dog in the first place, and when I questioned her about it, she dropped off the face of the earth.

Keep in mind, WE purchased the lot of chips (sold in lots of 25) therefore, should at any time, an owner fail to keep their information updated, WE will be the ones who are called!

The 2nd time the chip saved us is that over this past weekend, we received the new owner's check returned in the mail, stating he'd written the check on a CLOSED ACCOUNT.
A check for $420 (the dog plus a crate).
As all rescuers know, this is a huge lump of money, gone, POOF, from your bank account. You can easily bounce checks to your VET with $420 gone from your account that you were counting on to pay bills.

I began to panic, but then I remembered, the dog is CHIPPED - with OUR chip!
I called 24petwatch and explained the situation to them - before even contacting the new owner.
We then placed the Great Dane on "stolen" status.
I then called the new owner and told him that we'd be by Sunday to pick the dog up unless he pay palled us $420 plus fees IMMEDIATELY.

Well to make the long story short, by Saturday evening, we had our $420 + fees that Paypal charges.
I can now safely return the chip into the new owners name.

If we were using AVID chips, this would have not been possible. I don't know about Home Again, no experience with them.
What I DO know is that 24petwatch allows us to use their database, we give new adopters FREE health insurance for a month, and we register the microchip TO them upon adoption of the dog. This is what we did for the new owner of the Dane.
But just as easily, we transferred ownership back to our rescue, A PAW UP, and placed the dog on stolen status. The company also said they'd fax us a document we could show police that indicated he was our dog and had been taken illegally (stolen - not paid for).

Something to think about.
Again, let me know if you would like to start using the chips. We pay between $4-5 each (YES, FOUR BUCKS) and we purchase 25 chips at a time, they are sold in lots of 25.

We figured out pretty quickly that the cost of the chips is a small price to pay for getting a dog returned to you if necessary, including with help of law enforcement.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » March 18th, 2008, 3:31 pm

'Vette, can you send me some information on that chip? Is it read by the regular readers that shelters, etc have?

I'm wondering b/c we've been looking into chipping all our puppies who go to new homes...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby madremissy » March 18th, 2008, 3:35 pm

That is very informative. I know that you are a long way away from me but could I ask my vet to do that. I do want to get her chipped. Did that sound dumb. :neutral:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby msvette2u » March 18th, 2008, 3:38 pm

On March 18 2008, katiek0417 wrote:'Vette, can you send me some information on that chip? Is it read by the regular readers that shelters, etc have?

I'm wondering b/c we've been looking into chipping all our puppies who go to new homes...

YES - can you PM me your information and I'll do a referral for you?
I need address and phone, email and contact person (you of course).

MM, it's simple to do, yes, call around for a good rate. For an AVID chip, you're looking at around $40 for the registration and chip too. I don't like AVID for that reason.
24petwatch does not charge you to register your pet.
Sometimes they have Microchip clinics - and do it cheaper then, too.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby madremissy » March 18th, 2008, 3:44 pm

On March 18 2008, 2:38 PM, msvette2u wrote:
On March 18 2008, katiek0417 wrote:'Vette, can you send me some information on that chip? Is it read by the regular readers that shelters, etc have?

MM, it's simple to do, yes, call around for a good rate. For an AVID chip, you're looking at around $40 for the registration and chip too. I don't like AVID for that reason.

So in other words it has to be bought in bulk. Katrina, maybe we can figure something out for Kinzyl when we meet up this summer?? Or do I not have a clue what yall are talking about??
madremissy

Postby katiek0417 » March 18th, 2008, 3:52 pm

On March 18 2008, 2:44 PM, madremissy wrote:
On March 18 2008, 2:38 PM, msvette2u wrote:

So in other words it has to be bought in bulk. Katrina, maybe we can figure something out for Kinzyl when we meet up this summer?? Or do I not have a clue what yall are talking about??

Yep, I'd be more than happy to do it when we come down...as long as you hold Kinzyl rather well!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby msvette2u » March 18th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Yeah we chip our own, I'd do yours if you were closer, too. Legally we're not to be chipping any dogs but our own, but we have as favor to some adopters who have unchipped dogs.
If we were quite creative, we'd hold a clinic at our vet's office, and have them chip 25 dogs or so, and ask $20 per chip (registered for free of course).
You can do that as a rescue/shelter. But a vet has to do the chipping.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby madremissy » March 18th, 2008, 8:21 pm

Yep, I'd be more than happy to do it when we come down...as long as you hold Kinzyl rather well!!!

:shock: Uhhhhhh I don't know about that. But we can do it. Does it hurt??
madremissy

Postby msvette2u » March 18th, 2008, 8:59 pm

It does not seem extremely painful, esp. in larger dogs.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby madremissy » March 18th, 2008, 10:39 pm

On March 18 2008, 7:59 PM, msvette2u wrote:It does not seem extremely painful, esp. in larger dogs.

Extremely painful. :? So that means it is going to hurt mama more than Kinzyl. :rolleyes2:
madremissy

Postby msvette2u » March 18th, 2008, 11:04 pm

Awww we've chipped close to 200 dogs now, over the past almost-2-yrs. and none have passed out.
Yep, more painful for you, than she ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby airwalk » March 18th, 2008, 11:07 pm

On March 18 2008, 9:39 PM, madremissy wrote:
On March 18 2008, 7:59 PM, msvette2u wrote:It does not seem extremely painful, esp. in larger dogs.

Extremely painful. :? So that means it is going to hurt mama more than Kinzyl. :rolleyes2:

In a word ... yes!

Our shelter uses Avid and we've always found them to be very cooperative, but I simply recommend whatever chip..make sure it can be read by the universal readers and go for it...any chip properly registered is way, way better than no chip at all.

In the shelter, a chipped dog usually goes home within 24-48 hours...and unchipped dog 72 + if at all.
airwalk
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 18th, 2008, 11:11 pm

any chip properly registered is way, way better than no chip at all.

Which is why i like the 24petwatch - unless you register the AVID chip, many owners never do, as there's a cost associated.
It (the cost) doesn't seem like a big deal (to us) in the long run but I've seen more UNregistered AVIDs than registered ones. Or lapsed registration :(
We register our doggies to their new owners before their feet leave our property...!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby airwalk » March 18th, 2008, 11:16 pm

We do the registration..so the dogs that leave our shelter, at least leave registered..can't always guarantee they are kept updated...but they start our right.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » March 18th, 2008, 11:16 pm

I definitely want one. I just want to get what is best and right now I am kinda iffy with the vets around here. (this is after reading about all of yalls vets). Now I am nervous if I can hold her or not if Katrina does it for me :|
madremissy

Postby airwalk » March 18th, 2008, 11:17 pm

I'm betting Katrina can show you how. It's really not that hard normally. 95% of the time the dog doesn't even really realize anything is going on. You'll do fine.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » March 18th, 2008, 11:19 pm

I know. I can do it!!!!!!!
madremissy

Postby luvmypitties » March 20th, 2008, 10:37 am

All of our dogs are chipped and even my cat that goes outside. The little dogs dont seem to like the chipping very well. When we did our yorkie she didnt walk for 3 days after and took 5 people to hold her still, but thats the same dog who doesnt walk after getting a regular vaccine!

Katrina, Sparky's breeder chips all of her puppies and you can have 2-4 names as owners on the chip. She puts her name as second contact in case the owners cant be reached or for some reason the dog ends up in a shelter so she can always get her puppies back!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 20th, 2008, 5:34 pm

I rest my case!!!!
I just scanned the old Golden girl - she was chipped at a local "humane society" but never registered AT ALL to any owner.
I'm on hold with AVID.
WHY would any "humane society" chip a dog you do not plan to register with any chip company!???
msvette2u
I live here

Postby airwalk » March 20th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Unfortunately, Humane Societies (at least some in this area) that is how they do it.
airwalk
I live here

Next

Return to Rescue