Not a Pit ...

Postby Jenny » February 1st, 2008, 7:39 pm

Looking for a foster or perm home for a very sweet 10 yr old cocker female abandoned in her owners condemned POS trailer with no heat and a pot of rice left on the floor to eat..
she will have her shots updated, she is already spayed. I'll clip and groom her up pretty too. Sorry I didn't ask what color she was if it matters, I'll see her tomorrow..
She survived with a rabbit, cats and other dogs.. very sweet lady.
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 3rd, 2008, 12:06 am

Where are you located, or better yet...where is this cocker?

There is a nice cocker rescue in our area (Mid-Atlantic)...but that won't help if you're not near me! ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » February 3rd, 2008, 10:31 am

Jenny lives in New York and since she is visting the dog today, he must be nearby. :greenWave:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 3rd, 2008, 1:02 pm

On February 03 2008, 9:31 AM, iluvk9 wrote:Jenny lives in New York and since she is visting the dog today, he must be nearby. :greenWave:

Okay, good to know!

I've got some rescue contacts in NY...what part? Anyone know that? NY is a big state...;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » February 3rd, 2008, 1:08 pm

I just saw the other post...with her location in it.

Jenny...do you have more info yet, I have some rescues to crosspost to...

TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » February 3rd, 2008, 1:10 pm

Well, until she comes back to the forum and clarifies for you, I would say the Rochester area, since that is where the shelter website on Petfinder indicates. :| So, Rochester, Buffalo or Syracuse might be within a good range for rescues you know.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby gayrghts » February 3rd, 2008, 8:36 pm

I know someone who does cocker rescue in the albany area...

but i can't find her email addy....sigh

i'm still looking :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby amazincc » February 3rd, 2008, 10:02 pm

Is it this one??? They are in upstate NY...
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY166.html
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby gayrghts » February 4th, 2008, 3:16 am

I don't think so, i just know Christine from troy ny, who is a foster for them...

but that rescue above may be helpful jenny
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Jenny » February 4th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Hi guys! yes I had a not a easy time finding cocker rescue near me lol....
thanks for the help and suggestions.

GOOD NEWS IS ... Shea the cocker..She has a home to go to with the lady that runs our Humane Society locally in Seneca Falls..... Mary Kelly (she only does cats lol) I would not have dreamed she would want her.. did not think to ask her even...she called yesterday, saw a post I put up on the local pet forum.. She has a fenced yard, doggie door, and several other young senior dogs in her home now.. nice lady. Mary had a seventeen year old pit bull mix she had found as a puppy.. the girl died last year.. since then she told me has taken in two senior Rotts and a incontinent Dachshund..

the little cocker lady is here with us and she is so sweet... her paperwork says she is ELEVEN YEARS OLD! she is a groomers nightmare, very matted but so sweet...her eyes are clear! miracle..no sign of cataracts..her teeth are not too awful bad..ears are dirty but not too bad either.. will get her to the vet tomorrow for a check up and shots update..she hates the Kris the 12 week old puppy and he wants her to like him so bad lol...but she likes the nice social adult dogs.. likes kitties..

so little miss cocker has a place to go live the rest of her life.. :love3:

Our little local shelter .. Beverly's .. took the house rabbit.. the cat lady in Auburn who found all the animals in the trailer placed the cats (after altering) in homes already.. Beverly's has so many senior dogs waiting for homes right now I am so glad to help with this one.

So thanks a bunch guys! I appreciate it :greenWave:
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenny » February 6th, 2008, 12:25 pm

holy mother... appearances are not everything..

I started grooming this dog yesterday morning to get her ready for her vet appointment and go to her new home... didnt bath her the first day with all matts .. they will tighten up when dry..

She had a freaking WIRE wrapped in the matts on her back leg...oh ya I got pictures! it had come loose apparently and connected to the matts on her opposite back leg..
one end was VERY attached... I felt really bad I did not start working on her coat the first day! Her topline coat is pretty nice .. omg her feet and legs ..
I found all kinds of interesting things in these matts.. but she didnt have open areas under them thank god.

Got the wire off and many of the matts off.. they were down to the skin so we scissored.. I was afraid the 10 blade on the clipper was going to suck the skin right up in it so I couldnt use that.. its the smallest blade I have :oops:

So I took her over to my g/f Wendy who grooms for the shelter, she ended up having to use a 20 and 40 blade on her in some spots... she got some naked feets now.

The huge matt of hair on the back of her ear turned out to be a giant granuloma inside the matt that was full of infection...so, we shaved it and of course it opened up.. HUGE HOLE in the back of her ear/head but its drained.. we went to the vet early and he treated and did his thing... the poor girl! she had a very good attitude for all the mess ...she had her feet pads shaved.. my god its a wonder she could walk.. we were afraid her pads would crumble but they looked pretty good after the hair matts were removed. got her hoo hoo and tummy shaved.. most of the mess on legs off.. she is about half done.. I'm glad I stopped with scissors and left the matts hanging on her ear flaps! there were moles and growths under them we found.

So, Shea the cocker spent the night in her new home, happy camper now..

Wendy was funny.. she said " Jenny, next someone tells you Frontline Plus does not work show them the picture of all the dead fleas we got off this dog in the bathtub! "

I took pictures of her ear and all the stuff I found in her matts.. took picture of the rusted wire in her legs before I took it off...

Next time we ever take a hairy dog I will be TOTALLY checking that dog over with my hands and not just my eyes.. right away... whats bad too is she spent a day and a half with the lady who took her out of the trailer.. :oops: she did not examine her either! I feel horrible but its valuable learning for me. I felt like a huge dork! It sure won't happen again, tho.

The people that had this dog are trouble :evil:

I got their names and found out the man is a convicted pedophile from Syracuse.. I hope the judge will order they do not own any more animals when its all done.
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Scout » February 6th, 2008, 3:46 pm

eek! :shock: That poor girl!

I'm sure she's feeling a WHOLE lot better now that she is fully and completely taken care of and groomed.

I hope that man is never allowed to be near another child or animal again!!
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. --Andy Rooney
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Return to Rescue