I hate it when dogs don't have SPIRIT...

Postby msvette2u » January 15th, 2008, 10:13 pm

We let Ollie (Diesel) go on a trial adoption last Friday.
This was the older couple I mentioned in another post...
Well we dropped D. off to the home - and I looked it up and it is listed at $385k :shock:
Nice home. I mean - ULTRA nice, in this area, $385k can buy ALOT. And this home was immaculate - I mean, like a museum. It is 3yrs. old and looked...spotless...like it wasn't even being LIVED in, I swear (make a note of this).
D. was overwhelmed a little and he's so used to our dogs playing with him, he was pretty subdued and quiet, wandering around their yard. He didn't pee at all, or lift his leg on anything.
So we adjourned to the house after a little while in the back yard, and had a seat on the barely used furniture.
We talked at length and decided to do a trial adoption, as they seemed a bit disappointed that he was so quiet.
They decided that he was not to be allowed on the couch - I don't like that but can respect it.
We then left, agreeing that they would contact us by Monday and let us know how it went and if they want him permanently.
They emailed on Sunday and said that it wasn't going to work.
I asked why, and the guy says he's going to "type up a report" on why it would not work...!
Ooookay...so they come on Monday and bring him back and tell me he was sweet, kind, nice with all visitors, kids and adults alike but...he has no SPIRIT!???
Now - this is the dog that romps and plays every moment he's out and awake.
They said lots of stuff but the bottom line is, he did not bark, was quiet and liked to lay on their laps, wouldn't go outside, piddled when they tried to pick him up, and was fine when they left for an hour and left him out. He was not crated.
He "lacks any spirit or personality".
He didn't seem housebroken but I attribute this to lack of routine and lack of crating.
In our house, if he's crated - we take him out physically and put him out the door and once he's pottied, he comes in and has no problems.
ANYway, my assessment was the above and also no transitioning time at ALL, two days is barely enough to make any decisions on IF a dog will work out or not.
Maybe he was afraid of them - they are both in their 70s or so, so "different" and quieter. He's ROWDY here.
Also I told them that if he was too submissive (or any dog for that matter) what works best is obedience training so they know what is expected of them, it builds confidence.
On reason for return (in the database) I put unrealistic expectations, not that it matters but I have to "unadopt him" from the people, so that's what I put.
OPINIONS???
Here's a pic of Mr. Spiritless.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jeni » January 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm

Why is the price of their home important?

Maybe he just does better in a home with other dogs. I once fostered a dog that was shy, submissive - and basically had no 'spirit - until there was another dog around, then she had a completely different personality. She needed other dogs to really be herself.
dee de dee
Jeni
Confident Young Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm

Sounds like a mismatch all the way around.

I'm not thinking he was happy with them either. They can sense when things aren't right.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » January 15th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Good for him that he didn't want to be adopted by them... :wink:

Dogs KNOW when someone/something isn't "right" for them! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » January 15th, 2008, 10:35 pm

They found him to be bland. So what? Though they may be up there in years they still want a dog with some spunk and he didn't have it. Hence why they did a "trial adoption."

I've fostered probably around 15 dogs by now, and I've only failed twice. Not because I'm so good at keeping myself in check, but because frankly I am VERY picky about the dogs that I would allow into my home. Out of all of my clients dogs I think there is 1 that I would ever want to live with.

Not everyone falls in love with every dog they meet. You can't fault someone for that.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jenn » January 15th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Didn't he arrive to you with other dogs? Maybe his spirit/confidence comes when being around other dogs, and possibly needs to be placed in a home that already has a pet?
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » January 15th, 2008, 10:36 pm

On January 15 2008, Jeni wrote:Why is the price of their home important?

Maybe he just does better in a home with other dogs. I once fostered a dog that was shy, submissive - and basically had no 'spirit - until there was another dog around, then she had a completely different personality. She needed other dogs to really be herself.

Not the price as much as how they lived. Like, they DIDN'T live there almost...!!

And I agree - he's done great here and he's the last dog I'd think of if someone said a dog with no "personality" or "spirit".
He loves us alot and just is a happy dog...

Another woman is interested, we're doing reference checks and etc. now and she has another Doxie - I'm excited and hope it all works out for that situation, I'm sure he'd do fine there.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » January 15th, 2008, 10:39 pm

On January 15 2008, Jenn wrote:Didn't he arrive to you with other dogs? Maybe his spirit/confidence comes when being around other dogs, and possibly needs to be placed in a home that already has a pet?

No, he came by himself but you reminded me of something - when I met him at the shelter he was literally jumping about 3 ft. off the floor, almost horizontally. I laughed and said "LOOK at YOU!" and took him out of the pen he was in. He had a baby gate above the "puppy pen" with a low side, telling me he had probably jumped out of the pen.
And they said, when they brought him back, "We saw him over there and he was cowered in the corner!"
:|
When I saw him he was bouncing off the wall, almost literally...I fell in love at first sight!!!
He still bounces like that when I come home or in from outside!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jenn » January 15th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Sorry I get confused, and sometimes don't read everything. :doh: (more apparent because I didn't even notice what Jeni said till you quoted her LOL :oops: )
Jenn
undecided

Postby jmashaney » January 15th, 2008, 11:13 pm

Poor pup. I'd be nervous in such a nice house, too. He was probably thinking..."Crap, dude, don't shed on this lady's couch!"

He's a scruffilumptious cutie pie, though!
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby msvette2u » January 15th, 2008, 11:27 pm

On January 15 2008, jmashaney wrote:Poor pup. I'd be nervous in such a nice house, too. He was probably thinking..."Crap, dude, don't shed on this lady's couch!"

lol I kinda think so too!! He probably was thinking the same as I did, when they invited me to sit down...I actually ASKED "...does it matter WHERE??"

On January 15 2008, jmashaney wrote:He's a scruffilumptious cutie pie, though!

Oh I think so too. I still :loveU: him and am glad he's back!!

Oh and you want to hear something really embarrassing!?
When we left their place we ran by Taco Bell and I looked down and I realized I had DOG CRAP on my freaking SHOE. Now, this is a hiking boot, right?? There's only one way to have gotten it, and that was at OUR place - before we dropped off the dog!!
And I was thinking, OH my GOD. I was walking around that almost 400k house with DOG CRAP on my freaking BOOT :shock:
I kinda figured he didn't work for them because I musta left sh*t on their carpeting... :oops:

lmao
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 16th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Price of a house doesn't always say much about the owners. My last home was 1475 square feet and cost $40,000, does that make me poor or live in a bad neighborhood? No, it's just how much my house cost.

I'm a very very messy person, but I know people who keep immacuate homes who are just as "down to earth" as I am.

Ruby is a quiet dog anyway, but for the first few months we had her she was about dead. She was affectionate to me, but besides that she was a neurotic mess. It took months to get her out of her shell, and then it was only when she was home. After a few more months she became more animated in other places she was familiar with. Sometimes it takes a dog a long time to get acclimated. My trainer and my boyfriend wanted me to take her back after only a day of her being with me, but I took her in so I wasn't giving her up. Period. We gave it a lot of time and it eventually worked out.

I respect them more for returning the dog because it didn't seem like a good fit then have them keep the dog for a while to "see if it works" and then get attached even though the dog isn't really what they want. Some people want a spunky dog, and even though he may have eventually showed that with them they didn't see that side of him. I can't fault them for that.

As for the furniture, lots of people don't want their pets on the furniture. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but that is definately not a reason to judge them as a "good" or "bad" pet owner.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » January 16th, 2008, 1:03 pm

You are reading alot into my post that doesn't need to be there, but okay.
The home was immaculate and not "down to earth" and didn't look LIVED IN. That was my main point.
I don't judge by the cost of the home.
And YES I'm glad they brought him back, did I not say that?
But I am curious as to why he behaved like he did, not their reasoning for bringing him back.
As for the furniture:
They decided that he was not to be allowed on the couch - I don't like that but can respect it.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » January 16th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Could it be because they are older? Maggie is a friggin ANGEL around my grandparents (87 and 85). It's like she knows that she has to be careful because they are fragile. :|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby msvette2u » January 16th, 2008, 1:11 pm

On January 16 2008, Magnolia618 wrote:Could it be because they are older? Maggie is a friggin ANGEL around my grandparents (87 and 85). It's like she knows that she has to be careful because they are fragile. :|

I think it could be that, mainly, especially if they DID see him in fact at the shelter and he was "cowering in a corner", maybe he's not used to older adults or else he sensed they are more fragile. Because when I saw him, he was leaping up and down and I just started laughing at his antics.
Weird, huh?? I mean - I'd never have guessed he'd be like that there, I saw it...he was creeping around like it was a scary place, but I didn't think it would "last" after he settled in a bit.
I just wanted to reassure myself I'm not jinxing him because I like having him here :oops:
He really is "at home" here and I figured he'd get that way there, but maybe, as someone else suggested too, he needs another dog to show him the way...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Violet » January 18th, 2008, 12:59 am

I don't know how many time I have heard post adoption stories that make my jaw drop. The dog did WHAT???he/she acted HOW????? One thing I have learned voer the years..never to be surprized by anything any dog does once their environment changes. :| Heck..my very OWN dog turned into a complete monster while i was at work. Unmanagable, drove my hubby and kids nuts, ill mannered, rotten bratty snot.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby msvette2u » January 18th, 2008, 10:58 am

lol you're right, my own dogs surprise ME when I'm gone and I hear tales of how they act...Libby completely ignores Jeff unless he has food ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Violet » January 18th, 2008, 1:00 pm

One thing you may want to consider in adopting him..tell any potential adopter that he is very bonded to you and may take time to adjust to the change. He may even go through some depression. :| I would not allow home visits like this one unless they are 100% committed to keeping him because it doesn't sound he he adjusts well to leaving you.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby msvette2u » January 18th, 2008, 10:04 pm

On January 18 2008, Violet wrote:One thing you may want to consider in adopting him..tell any potential adopter that he is very bonded to you and may take time to adjust to the change. He may even go through some depression. :| I would not allow home visits like this one unless they are 100% committed to keeping him because it doesn't sound he he adjusts well to leaving you.

He does really love us.
I'd love to keep the little guy but it's just not good timing.
I think a Doxie experienced person wouldn't have as much problems...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » January 27th, 2008, 4:11 pm

Well Ollie/Diesel got adopted yesterday:

When we got home, he made himself feel right at home. Checked out the whole house. I took him out back, and he leaped off the back porch into the snow. It was hilarious. He was having a blast in the snow.
He's been busy playing with the kittie. It's a game. He will just sit there and stare at the cat, like "move, do something to make this fun!" The cat thinks it's a funny game too. They ended up on the couch and it was too cute: they rubbed heads.
Then my daughter's dog got into the game too. They were trying to corner the cat who just watched them both from the top of the furniture. I wish I had a camera to take a video of all this-it's just too funny.
Ollie runs all over the place, he jumps just like at your house and he's happily approaching all people. Goes from one to the other,gets love, then chases the cat some more.
My kids think he's darn adorable. He looks happy. He was quite the snowbunny out there in the yard. I don't know what these other people were talking about. He loves to go outside. Maggie, my daughter's dog wanted back inside, but Ollie just loved the snow. He looked so funny with a white beard! I think the two dogs just now got tired of the cat-chasing game. They are right now sleeping in my room next to each other as I am typing this. It's sooo adorable. I think Ollie will be happy here!!!!!
Well, have a good night. I will keep you updated.

What a match made in heaven :)
msvette2u
I live here

Next

Return to Rescue