You have GOT to be kidding me. HELP!

Postby demolitionic » January 11th, 2008, 11:46 am

Ugh, poor Piglet. :(

Best wishes and prayers hoping she (and you guys) come through everything with flying colors!
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » January 11th, 2008, 11:47 am

I would feed her whatever the vet recommends. Most likely they'll recommend a canned diet of some Gastro(bland, easily digestible) variety, blended with water into a slurry.
With GI stuff you can normally be a little creative, but considering the state of her bowels and the operation, I'd say do whatever they recommend. After a few days of whatever the vet suggests, ask if you can start mixing in something called Hill's AD, its a canned diet that is high calorie and very palatable, that should help her get the weight back on...

Did the vet mention what her chances are ? Is she already in the hospital having the surgery?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby jmashaney » January 11th, 2008, 12:05 pm

On January 11 2008, 10:47 AM, Malli wrote:I would feed her whatever the vet recommends. Most likely they'll recommend a canned diet of some Gastro(bland, easily digestible) variety, blended with water into a slurry.
With GI stuff you can normally be a little creative, but considering the state of her bowels and the operation, I'd say do whatever they recommend. After a few days of whatever the vet suggests, ask if you can start mixing in something called Hill's AD, its a canned diet that is high calorie and very palatable, that should help her get the weight back on...

Did the vet mention what her chances are ? Is she already in the hospital having the surgery?

He said that barring any other illness, she has a good chance of recovery, but will be a very sick little puppy for awhile and will require constant, vigilant attention. She is in the hospital now. They sent Paulie home because he wouldn't stop pacing the floors.

Is Hill's AD a vet distributed food, or can I get it at PetSmart?

So he drove to the police station and threw a fit because we still can't find the ACO and he won't call us back. It's just SO great when the authorities won't help you out and you are doing everything humanly possible to deal with a situation that you have no training or experience with. The nasty neighbors still have the 8 gazillion chickens and ducks, and their dogs were running the streets two days ago.

Oh, and I just may have found a home for the big lab...
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby luvmypitties » January 11th, 2008, 12:35 pm

I am sorry about the puppy. I hope all goes well. Hill A/d -which is good for weigh gain and Hill I/D- which is a good gastro diet are both distributed by vets only. And it really isnt that expensive for either especially for a little dog. I swear by the A/d stuff. It is fabulous and we have used it in all different situations like sickness, weight loss, for kittens/ puppies in switching them to solid foods. Its wonderful!

And I will keep fingers and toes cross that the home for Big Boy works out!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Malli » January 11th, 2008, 12:43 pm

I believe AD needs to be gotten at a vet's; don't worry, I don't *think* is an overly high-priced food.

I'd look into some "puppy pads", too, as if she is going to be sick most likely she will not be any good on the house training front, and considering what she has going on, it might be quite nasty and easier and cleaner just to throw it out on a pad.
I found some in Petsmart here : http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?cp=2767032&categoryId=2767193&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767193&fbc=1&fbn=Taxonomy%7CTraining+Pads&fbx=0
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754393&cp=2767032.2767079&view=all&fbn=Taxonomy%7CNew+Puppy+Center&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767079&fbc=1&parentPage=family&keepsr=1
I'd also stop by a thrift store and see if you can find some old towels or blankets, I'd go for cotton as its more absorbent, that way if something is soiled something gross you can again, just toss it; and that way you won't ruin any "good" towels etc you might be forced to use otherwise.

Also, something like this to keep her warm :
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754626
They make them for people with sore muscles,too. I'd buy some ziploc bags to put the insert in though, to prevent it from getting soiled, I think usually the covers (if they have them) are washable, if not you could just wrap a little towel around it. It will be very importan to give her a warm environment (no overheating of course), you will most likely have to reheat the heating source frequently.

She will get gross, but avoid bathing her, it could chill her and the stress of it will not be safe, try "sponge bathing" or using puppy wipes
instead. Its ok to be smelly for a little while ;)

I can't think of too much else at this point except follow her medical instructions to a T, they will be catered to give her the best chance at making it.

HTH :)

Malli
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pmashaney81 » January 11th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Piglet update:

She is still in surgery. I just called and spoke to the vet tech and she said everything is going fine. She said there was a ton of poo that was too hard for Pig to pass and that caused impaction and the infection in her intestines. She was just trying to hard to pass a monster poo and literally pooped her butt out. They are fixing her up and said barring complications she will recover with no major issues except for a stitched up anus. In 8 years, she said she has only seen one dog have the problem re-occur so things are looking very good.

We appreciate your concerns and prayers. I tried my best not to get attached to these little girls, but my weak spot is definitely for animals who deserve to be loved and cared for. I am definitely harboring some angry emotions towards whomever put these lovable angels into this predicament.
Judge the deed, not the breed.

Jezebelle (AmStaff/Catahoula Cur) - b. 08/05/07
Justus (AmStaff/American Bulldog) - b. 08/09/07
Shelby - (APBT) - Rescue
Evie (Chihuahua) - b. 12/24/04
Percival - Rescued Kitty of mass proportions :)
pmashaney81
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » January 11th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Dang poor girl, hope she's ok and recovering nicely asap!
Jenn
undecided

Postby pmashaney81 » January 11th, 2008, 1:59 pm

UPDATE:

Great News!!! Piglet is awake and doing well. We are just waiting for the vet to get back from a large animal call to release her to come home. Her rectum is back where it belongs and is none the worse for wear at sight.

We just need the final okay and she will be just fine!
Judge the deed, not the breed.

Jezebelle (AmStaff/Catahoula Cur) - b. 08/05/07
Justus (AmStaff/American Bulldog) - b. 08/09/07
Shelby - (APBT) - Rescue
Evie (Chihuahua) - b. 12/24/04
Percival - Rescued Kitty of mass proportions :)
pmashaney81
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cecollins » January 11th, 2008, 2:26 pm

On January 11 2008, 11:59 AM, pmashaney81 wrote:UPDATE:

Great News!!! Piglet is awake and doing well. We are just waiting for the vet to get back from a large animal call to release her to come home. Her rectum is back where it belongs and is none the worse for wear at sight.

YEA!!! Glad to hear that poor Piglet is going to be ok. You are an angel to take on this kind of responsibility!!!
Sully's momma!

Miss you, Mick
cecollins
I Love Sully's Butt Curls

Postby jmashaney » January 11th, 2008, 2:37 pm

On January 11 2008, 12:59 PM, pmashaney81 wrote:UPDATE:

You are doing a great job honey! I know she appreciates it. (And so do I!)
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 11th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Awwww, glad to hear Piglet's pooper is all better! How scary for all of you! Give her some snuggles from me. :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jmashaney » January 11th, 2008, 8:41 pm

On January 11 2008, 2:04 PM, Marinepits wrote:Awwww, glad to hear Piglet's pooper is all better! How scary for all of you! Give her some snuggles from me. :)

Piglet's pooper. That cracks me up!

The Pigger is staying there overnight, but is said to be doing well and will be ready to come home in the morning. The vet did the work at a much discounted rate, which was very appreciated!

Man, and I only thought we were running a tight ship before. Meds and monitored bowel evacuations will require a bit more work. I am looking forward to her recovery!

The rest of the crew is hyper today. They've torn apart several stuffies in the backyard and wrestled all evening. Justus has an booboo on the tip of his tail that will NOT quit bleeding. I imagine wrapping it would be pointless, unless I put one of those funnel things on his head. What a joy that will be...

I am also getting attached to the big lab. I'm even thinking about names. Shhhh. Don't tell Paul. We really can't keep him, not with Shelby coming soon. But he's so darn happy all the time. Paul is getting attached to Sally, too. This is why we couldn't do rescue for real. We'd keep them all. :o
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby gayrghts » January 11th, 2008, 8:58 pm

go to http://www.freecycle.org

look up your area

see if you can find a freecycle group for your area

then post on it

WANTED: old towels and or sheets or blankets for use in dog rescue.

people will contact you, and then you can go get the items and use them and toss them if they get to nasty.

everything on FREECYCLE is FREE

you can even ask for dog crates on there.... and that will help you out as well...

you don't think you could keep your 2 pups, shelby and big lug?
i think the 4 might do well :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby jmashaney » January 11th, 2008, 9:19 pm

you don't think you could keep your 2 pups, shelby and big lug?
i think the 4 might do well

Well, that would be three pit mixes, a giant lab, a chihuahua, and a husband...

And although I have faith in myself that I am capable of just about anything, I think that's a lot of money to be spent in vet bills, food and toys. Also, I don't want to ever feel like I am not giving 100% to any of my "furkids" because I have too many of them.

Pop always raised us to only have what we could maintain in worst case scenarios, ie, homes, cars, kids or pets. We are pushing the limits with Shelby coming, but she's a pittie, and I see the lab having a better chance of getting adopted out than she does.

However, I have noticed that the household runs better now that there is a "pack." It seems to have a rhythm now, they sort of keep each other occupied and are easy to handle. Plus, it keeps us on our A game in keeping the house clean and everything in its place. You would think with all these dogs the house would be gross, but it's cleaner than when it was just me living here with one chihuahua!

And let me just tell you, finding a housesitter for our honeymoon was difficult with all these dogs! Luckily, I have a younger cousin who still lives with our grandparents, and he was excited to have a house to himself for a week. He came over tonight to meet and greet the crew, and besides Bella barking insanely when he walked up, everyone took to him just fine, and he to them. (His chief worry was actually the chihuahua!)

Ah, but who knows. It's not like we're going to dump any of the critters if they don't find homes. We very well may be the crazy couple with the pack of goofy dogs. :|
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 11th, 2008, 9:23 pm

On Fri, Jan 11 2008, 8:19 PM, jmashaney wrote: We very well may be the crazy couple with the pack of goofy dogs. :|

Welcome to the club! We also have five dogs, quite by accident! :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jmashaney » January 11th, 2008, 9:35 pm

On January 11 2008, 8:23 PM, Marinepits wrote:
On Fri, Jan 11 2008, 8:19 PM, jmashaney wrote: We very well may be the crazy couple with the pack of goofy dogs. :|

Welcome to the club! We also have five dogs, quite by accident! :lol3:

lol It would definitely have to be by accident. I would never go out and acquire five dogs on purpose!

Well, actually, I woudn't say never. If I had a large house and a bigger yard, I'd feel more comfortable about it! They are super fun to have...watching them in the evenings is such a joy. When they are playing, I just forget about everything else and stand there and wish I had four legs.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 11th, 2008, 9:45 pm

EXACTLY!!! :wink:

It is really nice having a "pack" because they entertain each other and somehow it does seem like less work.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » January 12th, 2008, 9:22 am

Wow... You two certainly became a pretend-rescue real fast! I can't believe no one has claimed the big Lab. :(

Both of you are very kind people, and you will be rewarded in life for helping all these dogs.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » January 12th, 2008, 9:28 am

I agree, what goes around comes around. :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » January 12th, 2008, 9:29 am

oh, btw, what did the doc suggest for her feeding schedule? And what did he say about the AD?
E-I-E-I-O!

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue