That is one of our concerns, yes but...we found out what is wrong.
It turns out he has eaten rat poison - when I spoke w/the city guy (code enforcement there) he pointed out that anyone who would bag a dog up and throw it out like trash WOULD give him rat poison too.
This is why we could not keep his ear from bleeding - his hematocrit this AM was 10 - normal is 30...it is literally a miracle he is alive at this point.
They gave him a blood transfusion, and he's reacting to that so they had to give him Benadryl and a steroid for the reaction he's having which is a fever.
They sent out his blood to the lab who ran a clotting test and "normal" is 20-30 seconds.
After 100 seconds they quit counting - it had not clotted.
His ear wound which is basically an abrasion like road rash, has stopped bleeding FOR REALS now but the rat poison will destroy his platelets and clotting ability again - he's now on Vitamin K orally and I'll pick him up in a little bit so he can stay here with us overnight.
Anyway - it's been a really SUCKY day...!! But he's still alive...!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.