Ohio pound that wants to help pits get out....

Postby gayrghts » October 2nd, 2007, 12:31 am

Help a Pound that Wants to Help Pits - Lisbon, Ohio

In 2006, the Columbiana County Dog Pound Euthanized 100% of All Pits & Pit Mixes.

In 2007, They Want to Change That Statistic. Please Help Them.

If you've never heard of the Columbiana County Dog Pound in Lisbon, Ohio, there's a good reason why. Up until very recently, the Pound had a "zero tolerance" policy for pits and pit mixes. That is, with very few exceptions, all pits and pit mixes were gassed.

Last year, however, a new dog warden came along.

First, she eliminated the gas chamber.

Second, she started letting the most adoptable of the pits and pit mixes go to responsible, reputable, out-of-state rescues.
While it will not adopt out pits/mixes to private adopters, the Pound has sent several pits to rescues and has had very good results.

Pits and mixes are still not listed on Petfinder, so it's up to volunteers to spread the word and try to save as many as we can.
It's sort of a pilot program.
But to show the Pound that sending pits to rescue is worthwhile, we need out-of state rescues to send them to.

Responsible, reputable rescues who know the breed and screen who screen potential adopters - and then screen them again.

And that's where you come in. Please consider rescuing and saving the life of a Columbiana pit or pit mix.

Why rescue from Columbiana? Here are some good reasons:

a.. All dogs are spayed/neutered and vaccinated before leaving the Pound. The $60 pull fee includes spay/neuter, DHLPP, and a rabies vaccine.

b.. The Pound is VERY rescue-friendly.

c.. Transport help is very often available, and the Pound will hold dogs (within reason) pending transport.

d.. The dog warden really likes pits, and it breaks her heart to put the nice ones down!

Please call AND email the Pound and ask for Dawn. (330) 424-6663 and colcodog@sbcglobal.net
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » October 2nd, 2007, 10:57 am

Good luck with this! I am glad they got a new warden & she is making postivie changes
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Rescue