Who wanted a doodle?

Postby Scout » September 20th, 2007, 2:05 pm

Was there a member of this forum who had a friend that wanted a labor doodle if sooo....he's not a labor doodle, but he is a doodle!...an Aussie Doodle to be exact.

Meet Bailey

Ever heard of an Aussie Doodle? Bailey's mom was a red merle Australian Shepherd, and his dad was an apricot Standard Poodle, both were working dogs on a cattle ranch. Bailey is about 6 months old, and will be the size of a Standard Poodle when fully grown. He's very sweet but scared, and will need a patient adopter willing to work with him and take him to obedience classes. He'll need monthly professional grooming like any other poodle. Bailey will need an active home, children over age 12 due to his size and energy level. He'd do best with another dog to play with and a home where he's not left alone long hours.
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » September 20th, 2007, 2:24 pm

oh good greif! We have enough dogs and breeds already!

He is cute although I wouldn't make a bunch that look like them :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » September 20th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Yeah no kidding. We have a PUREBRED POODLE here and nobody wants him, I guess if he was a (fillintheblank)-Doodle he'd go out in a heartbeat.

Oh - and I've noticed many of the doodle Xs are timid/fearful. We had that Blood-doodle that was a total freak :(
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jenn » September 20th, 2007, 4:25 pm

lol I think he's precious, hope he finds a good home.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Scout » September 20th, 2007, 5:34 pm

Yeah...he's cute...hopefully he isn't a wreck like the others, but I figured I would post so that person who was looking for a doodle might be interested. :| Who knows? I hope he finds a good home too.

msvette...I hope your non-doodle finds a home too :!:
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby TheRedQueen » September 20th, 2007, 11:56 pm

He just got posted over on my Aussie board also...he's making the rounds.

My question was...what job does a poodle have on a ranch? I know lots of poodles with jobs (personally...I'm swamped with St. Poos)...flyball poodles, Hearing Dog poodles, Service Dog poodles, agility poodles...but poodles having a job on a ranch?

But yeah...poodles can be squirrely, and then mix it with a shy/reserved breed like the Aussie...that's gonna be one skittish pup!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Jenn » September 21st, 2007, 12:17 am

I know a Standard Poodle that duck hunts. :) He's actually larger than my dogs, and loves to retrieve. I was told that was one of their original purposes, before they made them smaller, and foo fooier. :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » September 21st, 2007, 9:01 am

On September 20 2007, 11:17 PM, Jenn wrote:I know a Standard Poodle that duck hunts. :) He's actually larger than my dogs, and loves to retrieve. I was told that was one of their original purposes, before they made them smaller, and foo fooier. :|

I used to know poodles that hunt...but on a ranch? Ranch work is usually for herding dogs (not to say others can't do it...but...). It just seems a silly thing to say. I'd guess they had an Aussie for working, and bought a poodle to purposely make doodles with...and didn't want it to seem that way. ;)

If the poodle really is doing ranch work, I'd love to hear about it!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby msvette2u » September 21st, 2007, 11:46 am

Poodles, despite their weird little names, are really smart dogs. I bet it could do something there if taught.
They were originally hunting dogs.
I didn't mean to imply that dog isn't cute. I'm sure he'll go in a heartbeat, ALSO check out this group, they list dogs from all over the US.

http://www.poomixrescue.com/

We've used the board a few times, Poo Mix has actually approached US to ask about posting, I think the 1st time WAS the "Blood doodle".
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Scout » September 21st, 2007, 1:41 pm

Thanks RedQueen for cross posting Bailey. Here is the link to the website if there are any potential lookers.

http://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/available/dogsavailable.html

WARNING: Very cute and adorable dogs.
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby Scout » September 21st, 2007, 1:44 pm

And yeah...I don't know what kind of ranch that doodle would have lived on because there aren't very many animal farms out here. A lot of agriculture, vineyards, orchards and the like. Who knows? Maybe they were trying to blend the two breeds...a non-shedding, working dog? :|
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby TheRedQueen » September 21st, 2007, 2:31 pm

On September 21 2007, 10:46 AM, msvette2u wrote:Poodles, despite their weird little names, are really smart dogs. I bet it could do something there if taught.
They were originally hunting dogs.

I've got tons of poodles around me in my life...I've got at four in flyball classes, two in my clicker class, and a couple in agility class. (all different dogs). I personally know a bunch that are Asst. dogs...we use them as our non/low shedding Service or Hearing dogs (we don't use Doodles of any sort). One of my good friends breeds Standard poodles.

So it's not that I don't believe that they can do something on the ranch, I was just curious as to *what* they might be doing (in this particular case). And most non-herding dogs can herd to some extent, but it's not really the same thing. (me who has non-herding, herding dogs...lol)

Thanks RedQueen for cross posting Bailey.

I would have posted him...but he was already posted there! lol Seeing him here was the second time I saw his posting. *eerie music*

TheRedQueen

Return to Rescue