Puppy needs a new home in N/W Indiana

Postby DempseysPaw » May 14th, 2007, 9:08 pm

I found this sweet little girl wandering down my street last week. I thought she belonged to the family across the street but it turns out it's just been hanging out there since their little boy has been feeding it. I've been doing what I can to find it's owner but so far I've had no luck at all.

Being one in the habit of taking dogs out of shelter's (I have 3 adopted dogs of my own and have fostered many others) and not one to put them in; I'm doing what I can to find her a suitable home, foster or a place in a rescue. So if any rescue volunteers are interested in taking her in then please contact me. I can drive her up to 100-120 miles one way if need be.

She really is a sweet little girl about 5-6 months old and follows me everywhere. She gets along well with all three of my own dogs and likes to run around and play with kids. She's off to the vet Thursday for a good going over, her shots and hopefully if she's as healthy as she looks & acts then she'll also be spayed and chipped as well. All of that is the easy part though, what she really needs is a good home.

DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby Stormy » May 14th, 2007, 9:26 pm

What an interesting look she has! It almost looks like she has a brindle jacket on.
Stormy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Scout » May 15th, 2007, 5:40 pm

On May 14 2007, 8:26 PM, Stormy wrote:What an interesting look she has! It almost looks like she has a brindle jacket on.

I agree! Someone mentioned it looked like she was wearing PJ! LMAO

I really wish I could take her in. In all honesty, I really wish I could take them ALL in. She is a beautiful dog and I love her look! I really hope she find a home soon!! :sad2:
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby DempseysPaw » May 16th, 2007, 12:54 am

Thank you all for the good wishes. She really is such a cutie pie and what a sweetheart too. She goes crazy with the kisses every time she comes out of the crate (which she absolutely hates) and just follows me everywhere I go wagging that tail all the while. She eats like a horse and isn't shy about trying to nudge her way past the others to get to their bowls too. I've had no experience with these breeds but I have to say I'm pretty impressed at how smart she is too. I raised 2 wire hair fox terriers and a kerry blue, plus 3 boxers; all of which I would consider stubborn and I expected this little girl to be pretty hard headed also but she actually catches on pretty quick. I read somewhere that Pit bulls can be hard to house break but she pretty much keeps right on schedule for me. I'm just looking forward to the days when there are a couple more hours between potty breaks. It's been years since I raised a puppy and I had forgotten how time consuming it is.
DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 16th, 2007, 6:40 am

Have you tried contacting local pit-bull rescues to get this dog some publicity? Since you are "fostering" her it will be much easier to get a rescue to list her.

Good luck, she is a sweetie and definitely unique in her look, and so very pretty...I think that this is in her favor
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby DempseysPaw » May 17th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Well I just started a new job this week and my wife just started a new one last week so we've both been swamped and were concentrating what little free time we had searching for her original owner but this weekend I'll shift gears toward a possible new home. I had contacted a couple of rescues and am going to list her on http://www.pbrc.net/ which is a site used for pit bull rescue once she's been spayed.

To my surprise the wife is not really pressuring me to find a new home for her like I expected she would, so who knows what her future holds. I mean by the time I get her spayed, housebroken and basic obedience trained so she's ready to find a permanent home all the hard work will be done so it wouldn't bother me if she just stayed. I've had as many as 6 dogs living at home at once and had 4 of my own for years so I'm used to it but I would like to be able to travel on a vacation just once before I retire.
DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby DempseysPaw » May 21st, 2007, 9:55 pm

So the little boy across the street who's house I thought Boo Boo belonged to and tried to return her to when I first picked her up out of the street tells me quite a different story then his mother or aunt did when I first tried to return her. I knew I had seen her there on more than one occasion over the last couple weeks so naturally when I saw her wandering the street I picked her up and brought her there and was told that she wasn't their dog but had just been hanging around the last few days since her son had been feeding it. Well the son (he's maybe 10 years old) tells me they had it about 3 or 4 weeks and even took her to get her shots but the aunt decided they weren't going to keep her. It's two sisters and their kids that live there. She also told the little boy she gave me the dog.
So of course when I go to her and ask her for any paperwork she may have from the vet she sticks with her original story and denies it being her dog and then makes the comment "well why would someone give away the paperwork on their dog without getting paid back for it if they gave the dog away for free?" Basically implying she has it but wants me to repay her for it after denying she had it in the first place. Then she tells me her nephew was just confused. Well maybe he's confused about some things but he sure knew what name to call her to get her attention. I've been calling her Boo Boo for 11 days and she still hasn't figured it out but the minute I call CoCo she comes running.
I know it happens all the time and what she did was nothing new but it still ticks me off to no end. I mean why not just give me the records? How can someone throw out the living animal but not be willing to part with a piece of paper? At least now I can stop looking for her previous owner and start looking for a new one for her.

DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby DempseysPaw » June 17th, 2007, 10:35 am

Well it's been a little over a month now since we found little Boo Boo walking the streets and picked her up and boy has she come along. The crate training is going well enough and she's getting better every day. She still would rather not be crated but will now reluctantly walk in on her own when told. As for the house breaking, the only time there is an accident in the house now is when I fail to keep to her schedule. And her basic obedience is also moving along pretty well. She understands sit, lay down, down (as in off the furniture) and the word no. She'll also come when called most of the time but to be honest she loves to be with me so that one is pretty easy. She also has good manners on the leash and will heal nicely and most times remembers to sit whenever we stop. But she is still a puppy (about 6-7 months now and 35 pounds) so she still gets excited and jumpy when she greets you.

Having never worked with a pit bull in the past I have to say that I'm very impressed with just how smart and quick she really is. She picks up on things right away and seems very eager to please. She has a great sense of knowing when she's either pleased or disappointed me and she's very loving and affectionate.

So, we're hoping to place her with a family who has experience with the breed, owns their own home with a fenced in yard and where she'll be an only dog somewhere within a 200 mile radius of the city of Chicago. She's been vet checked and is UTD on all her shots and has been micro chipped and will also be spayed before being placed. Of course there will be the usual application process, including background checks and home visits both before and after the adoption process and a fee will apply (to cover expenses)
DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » June 17th, 2007, 11:44 am

How wonderful that ya'll have done so much for her! :) Do you have her listed on petfinder, or through anyone? Good luck with finding her a home, sounds like she's going to be just fine thanks to you and your wife.
Jenn
undecided

Postby luvmyangels » June 17th, 2007, 11:52 am

She is beautiful and it sounds like you have done a great job with her. I hope she finds a forever home. Good luck!!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby DempseysPaw » July 28th, 2007, 11:30 pm

Wow I guess almost another month has gone by and we're still looking for a good home for little Boo Boo. Who by the way still lives up to her name which she got because she had a boo boo on her tail when we found her. She's going through her jumping phase right now and last Sunday morning while I leaned forward and down to attach her leash she jumped up to greet me and our heads collided hard and I thought I felt something give. I'm still not sure what it was yet but I'm certain it was something of mine.

I always sort of expected her to be hard headed and her personality isn't but her actual head is really really hard.

A week later and it still looks like we did it yesterday. The up side is she's not quite as jumpy anymore.

But still not a single realistic inquiry about her. We had some interesting responses from Petfinder and absolutely no hits anywhere else. Lucky for her she looks like she's going to be petite. I think I'm going to teach her some flyball. She's very athletic and quick as lightning. So the plan is to teach her something really cool and fun so the human lady of the house will let her stick around as long as it takes.

DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » July 29th, 2007, 7:38 am

She is really such a cutie. Have you tried putting her photo and short bio up in Vet's offices? My Vet has a board for adoptions.

Love your black eye. 8) I got one of them from my Lab, Truman, when he was a "puppy". He picked his big head up as I put mine down and we collided. I am a Teacher and school started the next day. I looked great....not.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DempseysPaw » July 29th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Yeah she has flyers up just about everywhere but this area is flooded with dogs in need and especially pits so we just try to cover every angle and then just keep our fingers crossed and hopefully the right people will come along. Personally I'd just as soon keep her myself but with three others and her just being a puppy she requires a lot more attention then we're used to around here. Either way I'm committed to her until the right people come along. My only concern is that while she gets along great with Pheobe our Boxer she does tend to get on the other two dogs nerves and they are a little less tolerant of her energy level.

DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » July 29th, 2007, 1:12 pm

I think the rule is: When they sleep on your couch and look adorable, they are yours. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » July 29th, 2007, 2:29 pm

Nice shiner! :wink:

I think she's home to stay, too.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby DempseysPaw » July 29th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Just for the record, that is their couch and not mine. Mine they are not allowed to get on.

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference at this point :)
DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » July 29th, 2007, 11:00 pm

The other rule being: Once they give you a serious shiner, they are yours as well! :D
Wow - she looks beautiful! You have done right by this little girl... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby shane » July 29th, 2007, 11:36 pm

She is so unique looking . I have come very close to getting my shiners from my dogs too . I'm surprised I have not gotten one yet. I would love to adopt her but she looks like she found a great home already.
shane
Just Whelped

Postby DempseysPaw » July 30th, 2007, 1:47 am

Actually I'm pretty sure she did it on purpose so she wouldn't be the only one in the house with two different color eyes. Now we both have one brown eye and one that's black and blue.
DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby DempseysPaw » January 19th, 2008, 9:33 pm

This little doll is still looking for that perfect new family.

http://www.myspace.com/boo_boo_puppy
DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Rescue