Wayne Day Wayne NJ October 14th

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby Maryellen » April 1st, 2006, 2:27 pm

Wayne Day is to benefit the Wayne Animal Shelter, which is VERY VERY pitbull friendly. Last year me and Mary Harwelik did a booth for NJ4Pitbulls and did CGC testing.. This year we were invited back again, so i said yes.

So, for those that want to come out and have a good time please join us on October 14th from 10-4 .. directions to follow once i get the schedule.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Cuda » April 5th, 2006, 2:18 pm

we'll almost certainly will be there.. We were there last year and had a fun time. I live about a stones throw away from there.. well not really a stones throw but close enuff :)
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » April 5th, 2006, 2:23 pm

really?? did you bring your dog? i hope to see you again this year...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Cuda » April 5th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Yeah he is the big blue in the other pics on my intro page.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » April 5th, 2006, 2:48 pm

wait, what is your dogs name?? i think i remember you from last year...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 5th, 2006, 2:49 pm

yep, i remember you. you got him from CA or somewhere out there right?? i remember talking to you at the event..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Cuda » April 5th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Yup yup thats right that was us.. His name is Cuda :)
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » April 5th, 2006, 9:22 pm

so he has his cgc and therapy title? do you go anywhere with him for therapy? what group do you belong to?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby olympianAB » April 5th, 2006, 11:59 pm

if i remeber, and not showing a dog that weekend:) i'll head up that way:) w/ both of the kids.
olympianAB
Just Whelped

Postby Cuda » April 9th, 2006, 10:50 am

Maryellen wrote:so he has his cgc and therapy title? do you go anywhere with him for therapy? what group do you belong to?

Havent joined any group yet.. Hes a little too hyper in those situations. kinda like a bull in a china shop. his tail alone could kill someone old enough :) Probably as he matures more we'll start doing such things with him... im already teaching him the calm command which should help bunches but as of right now its just not consistant enough.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » April 9th, 2006, 12:32 pm

if you dont belong to a group how did he get a therapy title? did you test him with Bright and beautiful, Therapy dogs international or delta society?
you should be working with him now, not later.. and, if he is therapy certified you must do 12 visits a year to keep the title.. the more you expose him NOW the better it will be for him...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Cuda » April 10th, 2006, 8:18 pm

Maryellen wrote:if you dont belong to a group how did he get a therapy title? did you test him with Bright and beautiful, Therapy dogs international or delta society?
you should be working with him now, not later.. and, if he is therapy certified you must do 12 visits a year to keep the title.. the more you expose him NOW the better it will be for him...

Just took the test a club was hosting and sent in the paperwork to TDI.

I would like to start working him now to be honest with you. Have to start researching the next step to find out where and who i have to talk to about it.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 8:23 pm

ok, so he is with TDI then, do you have his certificate and stuff so you can start working? if so, then what you do is ask TDI for places to visit, i know Valley hospital in ridgewood has therapy dogs come in, and there are places in bloomfield too, and at the daughters of miriam in clifton they have therapy dogs come in too.. check on the TDI website too for a list of locations, or if they are not listed call them.. if he passed the test, then he should be out working.. the more you expose him to different surroundings the more he will understand when its time to work.. the west milford manor is also doing therapy dogs too...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Cuda » April 10th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Yes i received his Cert and tag in the mail along with his ID (his doggy drivers license).

Ill check out the TDI website for locations.. Once i find a location do I just call them and schedule a visit or what??
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 8:39 pm

once you find out where to visit, you should be given a phone number for the team captain who runs the visits, then you call them, tell them your dog is certified, and when are the visits at that location.. they should have a list of places all over north jersey for you to go.. see if any of the schools have a reading program too with TDI.. or the local library.. the team captain who schedules the visits will tell you what times they are , where they are, and that you might need to bring a copy of his vaccines for the first visit..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 8:43 pm

ok, i went on the TDI website, you need a password to access the Associates members site.

you can also contact them Therapy Dogs International, Inc.
88 Bartley Road, Flanders, New Jersey 07836

Tel: (973) 252-9800 Fax: (973) 252-7171

e-mail: tdi@gti.net or angelakunkel@gti.net
to find out where you can visit.. some groups send out monthly cards on where to go too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Cuda » April 10th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Great info thanks.

I just read the paperwork from TDI for the first time. They explained most of it right there and gave me a few places that had running programs with them but the list was only 3 locations and only the daughters of miriam was on the list from the ones that you mentioned.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 8:50 pm

they might not have as many places as where i go.. a therapy person who goes with me is also tdi certified, and she said they dont have as many places as Bright and beautiful.. but who knows.. i would start out by seeing if the ones listed are close to you, if so, then call and find out the dates they go and the time, and see if it works for you.. the only thing you have to remember is that when you set up to go, the patients look forward to the visits, so try not to cancel and go as scheduled.. like i go every saturday to the hospital up here by me.. i am just supposed to go once a month, but the woman who runs the program at the hospital loves that the 3 of us come every weekend.. as long as you do it once a month you will be fine if TDI requires 12 visits a year to keep the title.. once you get strarted, and become at ease with visiting,then you can start calling places to go on your own.. always make sure to keep the other dogs away from yours, and to keep cuda from sniffing other dogs.. the visits are usually an hour long, but the first time you go only go for a half hour so that you dont stress him out.. the first few times do a half hour, then go to the hour. some dogs will show stress signs as yawning, pacing, or trying to leave. if cuda does any of that cut the visit short and then leave on a happy note with him..
when you do a visit sometimes the patients will talk to you, sometimes they wont. dont be surprised if they ask you what kind of a dog cuda is , and when you say pit bull/staffie they pull away and give you dirty looks. just smile and say ok cuda lets go.. after you go a while some people will lighten up. put a bandana around his neck to make him look more inviting.. it works every time...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Cuda » April 10th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Thanks Bunches MaryEllen. Those tips are great. Is it expected that the dog be a little anxious on his first visit?? I just see the bad image of Cuda being soo happy to see everyone that his tail does some damage to person or property. Thats why ive been working the "calm" command its coming along but its not easy :)
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » April 10th, 2006, 9:08 pm

he will be a little anxious as it will be a new place, make sure you run /walk him good before you go, bring a poop bag and make sure he at least pees outside before you go in. dont feed him before the visit. no treats are allowed either.. make sure his nails are short, and dont worry about his tail.. you can always move his butt away from the iv stuff if he starts whipping it.... and if you go to nursing homes, be prepared the visit might be VERY emotional for YOU.. him too, but if you dont like nursing homes be prepared.. some nursing homes are more like assisted living, while others are true nursing homes with various very very sick/elderly/dementia patients... make sure he doesnt jump on any patients either.. the first few visits he will be excited/anxious, and might whine, or pant, or yawn. if he yawns, just yawn back at him as its a calming signal..

once you go a few times he will start to understand its working time.. when i tell rufus its therapy time he gets all excited to go, and once we get to the hospital, nursing home or school he puts on his work mode...

you will do fine.. i am sure.. its scary the first time, but once you are done it will be easier each time.. its very very emotional for humans the first few times, so dont be surprised if by the time you both get home after the visit you want to take a nap.. its normal..
start out slow and build your way up.. watch cuda to see how he is reacting, and if he starts getting antsy before visits or pullls to leave that will mean he doesnt want to do it anymore.. some dogs are not cut out for it.. but if he loves people and can ignore the other dogs he will do great.

there is a place in bloomfield called Job Haines, they do therapy there too..try them..
Maryellen
I live here

Next

Return to North East