Windows XP Pro partitions

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby mnp13 » February 7th, 2006, 1:01 pm

I'm the only one at work today, and my laptop is arriving in the near future (when FedEx finally makes an appearance!)

On my old computer I made partitions before I installed the OS, but evidently you can make then after as well? My current PC is the only one I have owned, and I set it up with help when I bought it 4 years ago.

It's coming with XP home on it, should I partition before I put Pro on it?

Are the partitions created through Windows the same as the ones created before the OS is installed?

(oh how I love my Mac)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » February 7th, 2006, 2:05 pm

partitioning it before or after putting XP Pro on it shouldn't have any effect on things.

yes the partitioning is the same as doing it before installing the OS.

Alot of people still use Partition Magic and other apps to do this, but that's for flexibility, and other items.

What kind of laptop?

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 7th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Dell.

Um... let me find the specs...

Inspiron 9300,Pentium M 760 (2GHz/533MHz FSB)
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display for Inspiron 9300
1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm, for Inspiron 9300
100GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive forInspiron 9300
Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron
8X DVD+/-RW Drive for Inspiron9300
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g,54Mbps) for Inspiron 9300
53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery,for Inspiron 9200
Multimedia USB TV Tuner with Remote Control, for Windows Media Center

With a whole lot of crap software. The first thing I am doing is wipeing the system and installing XP Pro. Like I need NetZero and AOL and all that other crap.

Obscene price tag.

Our whole office is Dell, which is surprising because my boss was a big wig at HP before he left to start his own business.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » February 7th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Nice!

Is it a personal laptop, or for business?

I've got a Fujitsu that I swear by. Love them more than any other brand. One of the few laptops that have a full-sized numeric keypad.

The 17" screens make things so much easier, but they are also a bundle to carry around.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 7th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Thanks.

It's for business only and I'm writing it off. Even if I get audited I'll be happy to show it to them, I don't even load email software onto it.

I use my Mac for day to day stuff.

I know it will be a beast to lug around, but I'll want the big screen for programming so I can have stuff open and actually see the full lines of code. For home use I will be hooking it up to my monitor anyway. I just forked over a bunch for a 19 inch LCD monitor (bigger than the TV in my living room :rolleyes2: ) I just landed a medium sized web job, so that's paying for it. I finally got tired of my big bulky monitor on my little desk, a foot from my face. Talk about a head ache!

I am soooo spoiled already, but the difference is amazing. My boss replaced my tube monitor at work because I needed it for our new office space, and once I worked on an LCD for a few weeks my home monitors were killing me!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » February 7th, 2006, 5:06 pm

My new laptop was just delivered, it came with the Media Center edition of XP.

We use XP Pro at work, and have a business license so I decided not to pay for Pro to already be installed. I was going to just install Pro and be done with it, but I got all sorts of popups warning me not to do it.

What are the major differences?

We use .NET at work, and I also use ColdFusion for my web work at home.

HELP!!!!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » February 7th, 2006, 7:29 pm

I haven't touched the Media Center Edition.

I don't know much about differences, but my assumption would be that so long as it has IIS and is compatible with the .Net Framework, then you should be ok.

I hear it's a great OS, I just haven't touched it.

Don't know how that stands in terms of a developer either. I have a friend who's got it installed and is a developer, but he has multiple systems and I don't know if he uses it for development or not.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 9th, 2006, 12:56 am

media center is XP Pro with some added stuff in it.

I was so mad tonight at how this computer is set up that I almost sent it back. After FOUR HOURS of being passed around Dell's customer service department I decided that it wasn't worth the headache and I could do without a new computer for another few months. Funny, there was not much hold time to get to the rep in returns.

He asked me the reason for my return,and I told him that all of the third party software was installed wrong, I had error messages popping up over and over and over. I was really ticked off to say the least. He talked me out of sending it back for the time being and gave me a month of free tech support.

That was actually what had sent me over the edge... because the problems are all with the third party software (that Dell installs and does not give you the disks for) they don't support it. The only place they will talk to you about it is on their $90 a issue pay support line. Like I was going to pay $90 to have them fix a problem that they caused on a computer that is less than two days old? Yeah, right.

Anyway, I sent a nice email to the rep's supervisor and I'm typing this post sitting in bed. One of my neighbors evidently has a wireless router, because I don't.

:D
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » February 9th, 2006, 12:58 am

and I stil haven't figured out how to mke the partitions... I'll add that to my list of stuff for the rep to help me with tomorrow.

how do people type on these little tiny keyboards?? it's driving me nuts!! I'm so used to my full size split keyboard - this is killing me!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Off-Topic