Do you get the flu shot?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Do you get a yearly flu shot?

Poll ended at October 13th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Yes, I get the shot and I feel it has prevented me from getting the flu.
No votes
Yes, I get the shot and still have had the flu...even mildly from the shot.
No votes
No, I don't get the flu shot and have suffered through the flu.
27%
No, I don't get the flu shot and have never gotten the flu.
40%
Joyce is asking too many questions, but I like her anyway.
33%

Total votes : 15

Postby iluvk9 » September 13th, 2011, 5:36 pm

I have never gotten the flu shot and work with slimey teenagers. I haven't had the flu in maybe 20 years. I prefer not to put things like this into my body. They are pushing it a lot here, and even offer them at the local drug stores.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » September 13th, 2011, 5:45 pm

When I had health insurance I got one every year. It's been like 3 years or so since I've had one. It isn't worth it to me to have to pay for it, it only covers certain strains of flu anyway. I've never had full blown flu, maybe the vaccine helped? Idk.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » September 13th, 2011, 5:47 pm

How did you learn to do polls? Did Bob teach you? 8)

I have never had the flu and only recently (the last two years) began getting the shot. Don't want to expose some of the more fragile folks in my life to a bug. :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » September 13th, 2011, 5:50 pm

I don't get the vaccine, and I don't get other ones either. I believe we over vaccinate ourselves and our pets, so until I am in some "high risk" category I won't be getting it. I work in a hospital, and am around sick people all the time.

Despite the vaccine propaganda, my father has gotten at least a mild case of the flu every time he has gotten the vaccine. They claim it's not possible, but it's quite odd to me that after not getting the flu in over 20 years, he has gotten it every year that he has been vaccinated. A few years ago, two weeks after getting the vaccine, he was so sick with the flu that he was out of work for illness for the first time. (Yes, you read that right, the first time he was ever out of work for illness.)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » September 13th, 2011, 6:09 pm

hugapitbull wrote:How did you learn to do polls? Did Bob teach you? 8)

Oh, please...I taught HIM everything he knows about the computer. :rolleyes2:

hugapitbull wrote:I have never had the flu and only recently (the last two years) began getting the shot. Don't want to expose some of the more fragile folks in my life to a bug. :|

I just don't want the darling teenagers to give it to ME. 8)

mnp13 wrote:.... I believe we over vaccinate ourselves and our pets...
"Despite the vaccine propaganda"

I agree with both of these statements. My parents were very much against all the childhood immunizations, but we had to have them for school.

plebayo wrote:...it only covers certain strains of flu anyway.

Didn't realize that!

And what does "idt" mean? I don't know?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Tubular Toby » September 13th, 2011, 6:57 pm

I don't get it. Last spring was the first time I had gotten the flu in years and it was burning through the college like wildfire.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby madremissy » September 13th, 2011, 7:27 pm

I have only received a flu shot last year. I had to have it in order to work clinicals in a certain hospital. I discussed it with my doctor because he has suggested that I don't get one due to my Grave's. He ok'd it but I know I felt like crap about a week later. I hope I don't have to anymore. If I have to in order to work in a certain hospital, I guess I will have to make that decision then. :dance:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 13th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Joyce, IDK means "I don't know." :wink:

I refuse to get the flu shot, though they're pushing it hard and heavy at the prison, along with some other vaccination...can't remember what for. I might miss a day or two each winter due to some random bug, but I haven't been deathly ill in several years.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » September 13th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I am still so undecided. :doh:

Or should I say...idk.

:giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » September 13th, 2011, 9:08 pm

I don't get it...but I made John get it the past two years, he gets it free via MDA (your donation dollars at work!)

Because MD can come with lung and heart issues, it makes me worry for him a bit more. Also...since he's really got limited motion now, when he's sick...it's really hard for him to deal with.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » September 13th, 2011, 10:08 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
mnp13 wrote:.... I believe we over vaccinate ourselves and our pets...
"Despite the vaccine propaganda"

I agree with both of these statements. My parents were very much against all the childhood immunizations, but we had to have them for school.

I do believe in some vaccinations. Polio for instance, because that kills or cripples you. But chicken pox? Seriously? And don't get me started on vaccines for girls for an STD..
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

nope.
I would get it if Wes asked me to - he has severe asthma.

As much as I LOATHE being sick, I prefer to avoid vaccines as much as possible.
I will say though, I am travelling and they recommend Hepatitis A + B and Dukoral, and I am getting it all, because who the heck wants to bring back Hepatitis as a souvenir, and I want to enjoy my holiday, not spend it in the can!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » September 14th, 2011, 5:54 am

For years they recommended teachers get the Hepatitis vacines, too. I never did.

At work, we have antibacterial products available in every room and in a dispenser in the hallways. I wash my hands constantly at work and follow our nurse's Golden Rules:

1) When you wash your hands, sing Happy Birthday to yourself so you know you have washed long enough.
2) "If it is wet and not yours, don't touch it." :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TinaMartin » September 14th, 2011, 11:47 am

I dont do the flu shot. The one year I did I got the flu. No thank you. I also try to avoid using anti bacterial products. Yes they do kill a lot of bacteria but think about that microscopic amount that is still surviving...superbugs anyone?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Hoyden » September 14th, 2011, 12:10 pm

I avoid the flu shot like the plague because I have a compromised immune system with my Sjogren's Syndrome. The one time I did get the flu shot, I ended with the flu so damn bad I ended up getting pneumonia and had to be hospitalized. Never again.

Besides, Gremlin is like a biological weapon. She goes to school, brings home all the nasty germs, shares them with everyone else, gets everyone in the house sick but doesn't get sick herself. Who the hell needs a flu shot when she brings all the goodies home for us so we can build up an immunity against them?

I agree with Michelle, we over vaccinate ourselves. I was one of those parents that let her kids get filthy & play with all kinds of animals because I firmly believe that keeping kids too clean and away from animals is why so many kids end up with allergies. That's what bath tubs are for, scrubbing up your kids before they go to bed after playing outside and getting filthy.

Hell, when I was a kid in Japan, I remember that when one kid got chickenpox, the other mothers brought their kids over ON PURPOSE so that we could all get it at the same time, play together, be miserable together and get it over with. You tell some parents that now and they think you are bat guano crazy and threaten to call child protective services.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » September 14th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Hoyden wrote:Hell, when I was a kid in Japan, I remember that when one kid got chickenpox, the other mothers brought their kids over ON PURPOSE so that we could all get it at the same time, play together, be miserable together and get it over with. You tell some parents that now and they think you are bat guano crazy and threaten to call child protective services.

Chicken Pox Parties - they were very common everywhere. My mom told me that that's exactly what everyone used to do. The minute someone in your kids class came down with them, you brought your kid over to their house.

Funny thing is, now that kids don't get Chicken Pox, they are getting Shingles. I've had Shingles twice now, they are un-Godly painful (including the flareup the week before our wedding, oh so fun!) My mom has been a nurse since 1969, she had never seen a case of Shingles in anyone under 25 until the Chicken Pox vaccine was required.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby CinderDee » September 14th, 2011, 5:00 pm

My Dr has tried to talk me into it every year but I won't take it. No way am I putting more crap into my body when I haven't had the flu since 1992. (I'll never forget that)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » September 14th, 2011, 5:52 pm

I was at my Chiropractors today and am certain I will not be getting the flu vaccine. He is a holistic practitioner who is what I call, a "Chiropractor/Scientist/Detective".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » September 14th, 2011, 10:40 pm

I have never had one, and never will. I answered the last one though.;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby BullyLady » September 15th, 2011, 12:51 am

[quote="mnp13"]
Chicken Pox Parties - they were very common everywhere. My mom told me that that's exactly what everyone used to do. The minute someone in your kids class came down with them, you brought your kid over to their house.[quote]

Yep! LOL When my brother and sister and I got chicken pox we were all in daycare, my mom called the lady who ran it, who called all the other parents to find out if we could still come or not. Apparently many parents were enthusiastic that DO still come! LOLLLL

I work in a hospital, every year I get at least a dozen "You have been exposted to Influenza (insert strain here)". I've never gotten more than a severe head cold, so I still don't get them. I figure my immune system must be working fine, why fix what isn't broken.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Next

Return to Off-Topic