Donation items??

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby SLS61185 » September 1st, 2011, 2:53 pm

We had our cat put to sleep two months ago and now we have extra stuff that we don't need. Anyone know where we can take the stuff?? I looked on the SPCA website and they take donation items, but we don't have the 'right' brands they want... Wanted to ask here before I call them.

1 big box of Wegmans brand of cat litter that has been used once.
2 cat boxes.
2 litter scoopers.
6 or so cans of Hills prescription diet food for bladder health.

There might be one or two other things back there too... We don't want to just throw the stuff away because it's in perfectly good condition.... But We also don't want it in the house anymore.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » September 1st, 2011, 3:30 pm

I am sorry about your cat. :(

Do you have a local animal shelter? Ours always accept items like that. Or maybe someone on Craigslist is in need and would love those items.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » September 1st, 2011, 3:32 pm

I have a friend who does a ton of cat rescue and is always in need of supplies. They work with a local group, but fund a lot of it themselves. If you're ok with dropping it off at someone's house, I'm sure they would be more than happy with whatever you have.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SLS61185 » September 1st, 2011, 4:10 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I am sorry about your cat. :(

Do you have a local animal shelter? Ours always accept items like that. Or maybe someone on Craigslist is in need and would love those items.

Thank you :(

Is the animal shelter different from the SPCA? I googled both and they come up with either Animal control or our SPCA.

For SPCA they want stuff like Purina... For litter they only want clay or clumping and they don't say anything about the other stuff. (Don't know why they are so picky)

mnp13 wrote:I have a friend who does a ton of cat rescue and is always in need of supplies. They work with a local group, but fund a lot of it themselves. If you're ok with dropping it off at someone's house, I'm sure they would be more than happy with whatever you have.

Okay, thank you. I'll look around some more and see what I can find. We offered it to a friend of ours who has two cats, a few weeks ago... And they still haven't come and got it, So I'm tired of keeping it for them :/
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » September 1st, 2011, 10:21 pm

I never understand shelters being picky.

Try a feral cat rescue...I'm sure they are around and need supplies. I love when people donate stuff to me directly instead of the rescue...lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » September 1st, 2011, 10:26 pm

SLS61185 wrote:Is the animal shelter different from the SPCA? I googled both and they come up with either Animal control or our SPCA.

In NY they are different. Almost all our towns have their own shelters. There are also a lot of private shelters.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » September 1st, 2011, 10:30 pm

That's what my friend does - feral cat rescue. He and his wife take care of a large number of cats about a block from North Goodman down near Main. As the cats get friendly, they take them in and they get listed with the rescue. About once a year I leave a few hundred pounds of litter and a couple pallets of catfood in their driveway. Sometimes I even leave a note with it. lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » September 1st, 2011, 10:30 pm

That's what my friend does - feral cat rescue. He and his wife take care of a large number of cats about a block from North Goodman down near Main. As the cats get friendly, they take them in and they get listed with the rescue. About once a year I leave a few hundred pounds of litter and a couple pallets of catfood in their driveway. Sometimes I even leave a note with it. lol
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » September 2nd, 2011, 8:41 am

I'm sure if you google enough cat rescues, you'll find one that will love the donation.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby airwalk » September 5th, 2011, 10:26 am

TheRedQueen wrote:I never understand shelters being picky.

Try a feral cat rescue...I'm sure they are around and need supplies. I love when people donate stuff to me directly instead of the rescue...lol

Because you would be shocked at how many people think "it's a shelter dog, it can eat Alpo, and those folks at the shelter should be grateful to have it"...or "it's the shelter, expired food is okay"....or "let's find the cheapest crap on the shelf and then claim a higher tax deduction because it's the shelter and those animals are lucky any one cares".....I can go on and on and on as to why we are picky.

Or the folks that think sleeping bags with busted zippers and stuffing coming out are great for shelter dogs...or the cute little hand crocheted by their Granddaughter are perfect blankets for the kittens.....
airwalk
I live here

Return to Off-Topic