Recipes...

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Magnolia618 » August 9th, 2006, 1:25 pm

JennKBM wrote:Yummy that picture makes me hungry! Is that what you cooked? Great job if so.

Yep! Thanks! :D

I can pretty much cook anything non-meat. I didnt eat meat for ten years, so now I am just totally clueless. This came out REALLY good, though.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 9th, 2006, 1:29 pm

It looks good!! The other night I made a cheapo version of smothered pork chops. I put them in a glass dish & covered them with mushroom soup mixed with about 1/2 can of milk. I added some sliced onion & potatoes. Covered the dish with foil & put them in the over on 350 for about 45 minutes or so. Yummmmmmm
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » August 14th, 2006, 4:23 pm

where's the thread about the crock pot recipes? I have some fresh organic beef from someone at Tom's work who just butchered a cow. I want to use my crock-pot FINALLY!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » August 14th, 2006, 4:47 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:I have some fresh organic beef from someone at Tom's work who just butchered a cow

Holy Sh**!!!

What has Tom done to our sweet hippy vegan???

Must be a good guy to get you to turn into a blood thirsty carnivore!!! :twisted:

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » August 14th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Shut up and give me a recipe. :wink:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 14th, 2006, 5:00 pm

This site has some good crock pot recipes

http://crockpot.allrecipes.com/directory/5177.asp

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 14th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Ok in my crock pot I usually make deer stew but it will work for beef stew. If that's what you want.

Cut up the meat, place in crock pot- throw some beef broth in there, enough to cover the meat. Add some chopped garlic. Let simmer for 1-2 hours, until the meat looks like it is cooking and the juice is coming out. Add some more beef broth. Add a dash or Worcestershire sauce. Add some chopped onion, chopped carrots, chopped potato, celery, what have you. Let sit for a good 5-6 hours more. Stir up every so often. Add some spices, like black pepper, parsley, etc. Add a little brown gravy maker- I forget what it's called. Stir in just a tad bit of flower to thicken it up.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 14th, 2006, 7:53 pm

Crockpot Chili....

Start the same way with the stew- cut up the meat, and put in crockpot, but instead add a can of diced tomatoes. Add some chopped garlic. Let sit 1-2 hours. Add some chopped onion, and chopped pepper- whatever you like, green, red, maybe even a small hot pepper. Let sit for another 5-6 hours, stirring every so often. Add spices like cumin, black pepper, chili powder. I do this by 'eye' and to taste. When it's close to being done add a couple cans of kidney beans, and a couple cans of black beans. You can also add pinto beans. Stir and let sit for another 30 min. - 1 hr.
Again, season to taste.

Enjoy!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Jenn » August 14th, 2006, 10:02 pm

I'm going to have to try that stew recipe, sounds very good!
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » August 28th, 2006, 1:04 pm

This is really easy & really good!

Cut up a few roma tomatoes, zuchinni, yellow squash in chunks. Slice some onion & put them it all on a big piece of foil. Sprinkle Ms. Dash ( I like the garlic flavor) on the veggies, top them with some chicken breasts ( one per person) & sprinkle Ms. Dash on them. Wrap them all up in the foil & put in the oven on 350 for about 45 -60 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink when poked with a fork. BE CAREFUL opening the foil because the steam will burn the crap out of you.

Clean up is easy, add a salad & you have a full meal!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » August 31st, 2006, 1:17 pm

Who's got an authentic molé recipe?

I'm talking legit homemade with the chocolate and bananas, or as close to legit as possible.

My grandmother used to make a killer molé, but she passed on before I was able to get the ingredients/recipe.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 31st, 2006, 1:25 pm

I have a damn good one, let me look it up. I may have it at home. I do jsut use the jar sauce because it is soo much easier but I do have one. I think mine calls for raisens though, not bananas

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » August 31st, 2006, 1:37 pm

I have cooked this one & it is very good.

Recipe Ingredients:

14 Pasilla/Ancho chilies
1 8 lb turkey, cut into serving pieces ( or chicken)
2 oz Corn or vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic,chopped
1/2 tsp Anise
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp chopped coriander sprigs
1 stale tortilla or a slice of white toasted bread, cut up
1 lb tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup flaked, blanched almonds
1/2 cup seedless raisins
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp black peppercorns, ground
1 1/2 oz Mexican chocolate
Salt, to taste

Enjoy this delicious Mole Poblano Mexican recipe!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Instructions:

Toast the chilies in a dry frying pan, tear off the stems and shake out the seeds. Tear them into pieces and pit into a bowl with hot water to cover and soak for 30 minutes. Put the turkey (pavo o guajolote in Spanish) pieces into a large, heavy pan, cover with cold, salted water and simmer, covered for 1 hour. Drain, reserving the stock. Pat the turkey pieces dry with paper towels. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the turkey pieces, a few at a time, until lightly browned on both sides. Transfer to a large flame proof casserole, reserving the oil. In a food processor combine the onions, garlic, half of the sesame seeds, the fresh coriander, the tortilla or toast, the tomatoes, the almonds, raisins, cloves, cinnamon, coriander seeds and peppercorns and chillies and process to a coarse puree. If necessary do this in batches. Heat oil remaining in the frying pan, adding 1 tablespoon if necessary and cook the puree, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of the reserved turkey broth, the chocolate broken into pieces, and salt if necessary. Cook, stirring, over very low heat until the chocolate has melted. The sauce should be quite thick. Pour the sauce over the turkey pieces in the casserole and cook over the lowest possible heat for 30 minutes. Just before serving sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds. Serve with blind tamales or with hot tortillas, and guacamole.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==

This one is a little different, it is a Red Mole. I've never tried it but it calls for a plantain so it may be more what you are looking for.

Mole Rojo #1
Red Mole with Chicken
(Adapted from Authentic Mexican, by Rick and Deann Bayless)
Time Required: 3 1/2 hours to prepare, of which 45 minutes are unattended simmering. May be prepared up to two days in advance. Store chicken and sauce separately, covered and refrigerated. Reheat the chicken in the sauce, thinning with stock or water if necessary.

Ingredients:

The Chiles:
4 Medium (about 2 ounces total) dried Chiles Anchos, stemmed, seeded and deveined
2 Medium (about 1 ounce total) dried Chiles Mulatos, stemmed, seeded and deveined
1 Medium (about 1/3 ounce total) dried Chile Pasilla, stemmed, seeded and deveined

The nuts, seeds, flavorings and thickeners:
1 1/2 Tbs. sesame seeds, plus extra for garnish
About 1/3 cup lard or vegetable oil
2 heaping Tbs. (about 1 ounce) unskinned peanuts
2 Tbs. raisins
1/4 medium onion, thickly sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/3 ripe, small plantain, peeled and diced (substitute small banana if necessary)
1/2 corn tortilla, stale or dried-out
1 slice firm white bread, stale or dried-out
1 ripe, medium-small tomato, roasted or boiled, cored, peeled and roughly chopped
OR:
1/2 15-ounce can tomatoes, well drained and roughly chopped
4 ounces (about 3 medium) Tomatillos, husked, washed and simmered until tender
OR:
1/2 13-ounce can Tomatillos, drained

The herbs and spices:
1/4 of a 3.3 ounce tablet (about 3/4 ounce) Mexican chocolate (such as Ibarra), chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
8 peppercorns (or about 1/8 t. ground)
3 cloves (or a scant 1/8 t. ground)
1 inch cinnamon stick (Mexican Canela bark if available; 1 t. ground is fine)

The meat:
1 medium (3 1/2 pound) chicken, quartered

To finish the dish:
About 5 cups of chicken broth
Salt, about 1 t. (depending on the saltiness of the broth)
Sugar, about 1 T.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedures:

The set-up:
Organize the ingredients as follows: stem, seed and carefully devein the dried chiles; tear the chiles into flat pieces. Make measured mounds of the sesame seeds, peanuts, raisins and onion. Lay out the garlic, tortilla and bread. Place the tomato in a large bowl and break it up, then add the chopped chocolate, tomatillos, oregano and thyme to it. Pulverize the remaining spices (bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon) using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, then add to the tomato-chocolate mixture. Have the lard or oil and broth at ready access.

Toasting the sesame seeds:
Scoop the sesame seeds into a medium-size skillet over medium heat, and stir until they turn golden brown. Be careful not to over cook. Scrape into the bowl with the tomato.

Frying and reconstituting the chiles:
Turn on the exhause fan to suck up the pungent fumes. Measure 3 Tbl. of the lard or oil into the skillet and, when hot, fry the chile pieces a few at a time for several seconds per side, until they develop a nut-brown color. Remove them to a large bowl, draining as much fat as possible back into the skillet. Cover the chiles with boiling water, weight with a plate to keep them submerged, soak at least 1 hour, then drain.

The frying continues:
Return the skillet to the heat. (If there isn't much fat--or if you run low in the following frying steps--add a little more, but drain everything well or the mole will be greasy). Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of lard or oil in the skillet, add the peanuts and stir frequently until browned through, about 2-3 minutes. Remove, draining well, then add to the tomato mixture in the bowl. Fry the raisins for a minute or so, stirring constantly as they puff and brown. Remove, draining well, then add to the tomato mixture in the bowl. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring frequently, until well browned, 8-9 minutes. Press on them to rid them of the fat, and remove to the mixing bowl with the tomatoes. Fry the tortilla and bread, then the plantain until golden brown.

Pureeing the mixture:
Stir the mixture well, then scoop half into a blender jar, add 1/2 cup of the broth and blend until smooth, adding a little more broth if the mixture won't move through the blender blades. Strain through a medium-mesh sieve. Puree the remainder with another 1/ 2 cup of broth and strain.

Pureeing the chiles:
Puree the chiles in 2 batches in the blender, adding 1/4 cup of broth to each one (plus a little extra if needed to keep the mixture moving through the blades); strain through the sieve into a separate bowl.

Browning the chicken:
Heat 1 1/2 Tbls. of the lard or oil in a large (8-quart) kettle over medium-high heat. Dry the chicken pieces, then brown them in hot fat, about 3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.

Frying and simmering the sauce:
Pour off the excess fat from the kettle, leaving a light coating on the bottom. Return to the heat for a minute, then add the chile puree and stir constantly until darkened and thick, about 5 minutes. Add the other bowlful of puree and stir several minutes longer, until the mixture thickens once again. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of broth, partially cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, season with salt and sugar and, if the sauce is thicker than heavy cream, then thin it with a little broth.

Simmering the chicken:
Just before serving, bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat, add the dark-meat quarters and cook 10 minutes, partially covered. Add the breast pieces and cook about 14 minutes longer, until tender.

Presentation:
Remove the meat from the sauce and arrange on a warm, deep serving platter. Skim off any fat that is floating on the top, then pour the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle on some sesame seeds and serve.

Yield: 4 servings, with 4 1/2 to 5 cups of sauce

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » August 31st, 2006, 5:44 pm

Hey Dooby.... come to my house and make me some mole. I'll love you forever and ever and ever.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 31st, 2006, 5:53 pm

I'm leaving now babycakes!!! I'll be there in about 24 hours or so!

I use the jar sauce more so than make it myself, as you can see it is a lot of work ( like all good mexican food should be). Boil chicken, until almost done, drain, reserving the broth. Open the jar, mix the contents with some of the chicken broth ( about 4 parts water to 1 part sauce) & finish cooking it in the mole sauce. Or you can mix up the sauce & pour it over enchiladas. Mole is sooo good.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » August 31st, 2006, 6:01 pm

Mole is sooo good.

Mmmmmm... I love it over veggie enchiladas. Oh so good.

I usually get the jar stuff too. :cry:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » September 28th, 2006, 4:38 pm

WANTED:
Healthy recipe with lots of flavor, and very little prep time (I'm talking like 10 minutes tops). The cooking time can be an hour if necessary, but prep time's gotta be quick . . . I hate prepping.

Meat recipes are preferable . . . though I'll take a deliciously flavorful vegetarian and/or vegan recipe also.

I'm a big girl now, cooked for myself every night this week and I'm trying to keep that up, so any recipe help would be FAB. Thanks all.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » September 28th, 2006, 4:48 pm

This is one of my favorites!

1 pound lean ground beef

1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup

1/2 bag or so of tator tots

low fat cheese

Brown & drain ground beef, add soup, put in a baking pan or casserole dish. Layer tator tots on top & cook at 350 or so until done. Sprinkle with cheese & put back in oven until melted.

You don't have to add the cheese if you don't want, it's good either way

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » September 28th, 2006, 4:52 pm

We made FANTASTIC chili a couple nights ago. the prep was about 30 minutes but you can eat it any time, it freezes well and is really good for you.

One red onion - chopped fine
lots of cloves of garlic - crushed and then chopped fine
one green pepper - chopped coarse
one jalapino pepper - cut into paper thin slices
5 stalks of celery - chopped fine
4 pounds of ground beef
olive oil
butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp sugar
cans of red kidney beans
cans of crushed tomatos
cans of crushed tomatos with peppers in it already

brown the meat in the olive oil in the cooking pot
turn the heat off
sautee onion in butter s-l-o-w-l-y until it smells sweet
put the onions in the meat
add butter to the pan
sautee the celery and green pepper for a while until the celery smells strong and the pepper is a little softened
put the celery and peppers in the meat
put the garlic in the meat
drain the beans and rinse until the water runs clear
put the beans in the meat
dump in all the cans of tomatos
add salt
add pepper
add sugar
add chili powder
add jalapenio

turn heat back on and cook on LOW stirring occasionally until heated through. take the top off to thicken it up.

Amounts vary depending on how meaty, beany, hot, salty, saucy, garlicy you like your chili.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Emi » September 28th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Oh Michelle that sounds great
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic