Vacation time

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby amalie79 » May 26th, 2011, 11:38 am

Vacation...for everyone!

We'll be going to Yellowstone for 5 or 6 nights, and then Adam comes home and I go to Louisville to grade AP English exams for 10 days. Meanwhile, while we're both gone, the dogs will be kenneled in a beautiful place out in the country-- huge indoor/outdoor kennels, lots of one-on-one time, kiddie pool, and the folks who run it seem really great (they use the same trainer we do, so they'll get some clicker games while we're gone, too! and I've got good personal references from other people in our classes). And the kitties get a break from the dogs, as well as two housesitters to give them lots of attention. Everybody wins! 8)

I hope... At any rate, thought I'd solicit any advice or recommendations for either vacation location and for boarding the girls. We've never left them with anyone, so we're a little nervous. We did a meet and greet the other day that went well, but I know I'll be a ridiculous pet-parent when we leave them. So advice on that front is welcome... :oops:

And we've never been to Yellowstone-- obviously Old Faithful is a must-see...what else? Flying into Jackson, but we'll only be there one night.

I've been to Louisville once, last year when I was grading AP exams. So I work all day, but we have the nights free. I found a great brewery last year and some nice pubs...more recs are of course welcome!! :dance:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » May 26th, 2011, 12:08 pm

The girls are the dogs, right? All I can say is when you get back and pick them up, don't be hurt if they walk right past you, as HARLEYBIRD, MY HEART DOG did. :shock: There I was, kneeling down as he came into the pick up area, squealing his name, and he walked right past me to one of the kennel workers standing off to the side.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » May 26th, 2011, 12:15 pm

iluvk9 wrote:The girls are the dogs, right? All I can say is when you get back and pick them up, don't be hurt if they walk right past you, as HARLEYBIRD, MY HEART DOG did. :shock: There I was, kneeling down as he came into the pick up area, squealing his name, and he walked right past me to one of the kennel workers standing off to the side.

lol

Yep- that's the dogs. Hello. My name is Amalie. I'm one of THOSE people. :oops: Admitting it is the first step, right? I probably won't make any progress beyond that...

I actually won't be surprised if they prefer to stay. Since we had a tree come down on power lines while we were gone (power out, scary noise, fire, fire truck sirens), River's been kind of anxious while we leave the house... But they had a blast at their meet and greet, and since this place only has 8 or 10 kennels, I think they have a lot of one-on-one time for them. It's possible they'll get EVEN MORE attention than they get from us. :rolleyes2:

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 26th, 2011, 12:34 pm

I suggest calling to check on them. You might worry that you're being annoying, but as the GM of a daycare/kennel, you're not. I love my "high maintenance" clients that call me at least once a day to see how their dogs are doing, and ask what they've been doing. Personally I call once a day WHILE I'M AT WORK to check on my dogs because I'm totally neurotic. And when I'm away without them (which is admittedly rare), I call twice a day. The place that you're leaving them sounds great, and I'm sure like myself they will appreciate your love and concern for your animals, and will be more than happy to update you.

As far as what to do on vacation, I have no clue. I haven't been on one of those since 2003. LOL!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amalie79 » May 27th, 2011, 11:11 am

Thanks for the tips! I have the woman's cell phone number and she and I were already connected through Facebook-- both through the business and personally.

Simon was too ill for all of us to go on vacation for a long time-- and this is the WHOLE family, inlaws and their families. It should be interesting.

AP week is a working vacation, but it's my 6th year and it's the best damn working vacation ever. I'm getting pretty excited!!

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » May 27th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Have a good time. We have only boarded Kinzyl once, but I did call once a day to check on her. They were more than welcome to let me know how she was doing and thanked me for calling. I think they knew right off the bat that she and I were high maintenance when I came in with a list of do's and don'ts. :D Along with her monogrammed bag full of her own treats, toys and special blanket. :oops:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby amalie79 » May 27th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Erm... Is it wrong that high on my list of To-Do's before we leave is to make a special tote bag with their pictures on it?

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Return to Off-Topic