High Cholesterol

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby plebayo » March 17th, 2011, 11:49 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I LOVE Kale Chips! I make mine with olive oil, salt, and hot pepper flakes. I have tried them in the oven, and though good straight out of the oven they didn't last much longer than an hour before they got mushy. But if you get a dehydrator they can last much longer. But really, for me I find they're best as a treat, and not as a daily snack. They get old real quick if you make them more than once a month.

I think it depends on the type of kale you use. A lot of the recipes say to use the really curly stuff... Italian Kale works the best. I've tried the bushy/curly kale and it never fully bakes in the oven, in order to fully dry it out you have to burn it almost. The Italian Kale spears work much better and will fully dry out. I store mine in a zip lock bag or zip lock container and it usually lasts quite some time.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 18th, 2011, 6:03 am

SisMorphine wrote:My old roommate had really high cholesterol . . . especially for a skinny bitch. She first started with trying to cut fatty things out of her diet and she was merely making herself miserable. A couple of years ago she ended up going to see a nutritionist (one more on the holistic side) who has changed her diet around COMPLETELY! Now her cholesteriol is down AND her anxiety disorder and breathing issues are GONE all due to her new diet. It's worth it to seek out a really good nutritionist who can deal with "food and chemical sensitivities" in addition to regular dietary needs.

Hmm. I also have anxiety.
If I can't get a better handle on things between now and my retest in July, I will talk with my Dr. about finding a nutritionist.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 18th, 2011, 8:59 am

I don't have any trouble with regular, cheap Kale. I make the crispy kale as a dinner side dish though...and I don't try and save it...there never is any left anyway.
lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » March 18th, 2011, 9:00 am

If you can get the Dr to run a Berkley blood profile on you, you get 8 months with a nutritionist for free. The test is pretty pricey. Our insurance doesn't pay for it (BCBS) but if insurance doesn't cover it, Berkley reduces the price significantly - but still close to $200 if they do the complete panel. PM me if you want more info.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amalie79 » March 18th, 2011, 10:16 am

SisMorphine wrote:My old roommate had really high cholesterol . . . especially for a skinny bitch. She first started with trying to cut fatty things out of her diet and she was merely making herself miserable. A couple of years ago she ended up going to see a nutritionist (one more on the holistic side) who has changed her diet around COMPLETELY! Now her cholesteriol is down AND her anxiety disorder and breathing issues are GONE all due to her new diet. It's worth it to seek out a really good nutritionist who can deal with "food and chemical sensitivities" in addition to regular dietary needs.

Isn't it funny how much we KNOW that diet helps our pups and then forget how many things it can help us with?
:doh:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby DemoDick » April 14th, 2011, 7:52 am

I just saw this, sorry for not responding sooner.

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:I have high cholesterol. :(

Not necessarily a problem.

Now I need to start a low fat diet.

No, you don't. In fact that is the worst thing you could do to yourself.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/20 ... atins.html

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/20 ... festo.html

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TinaMartin » April 14th, 2011, 9:09 am

Have to agree with Demo. There are a lot of things coming to light showing that all the things they have been saying are bad for us are not.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » April 14th, 2011, 10:33 am

Watch the movie "Fat Head" it has some "convenient science" in it, but overall its pretty interesting and informative.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » April 14th, 2011, 7:48 pm

TinaMartin wrote:Have to agree with Demo. There are a lot of things coming to light showing that all the things they have been saying are bad for us are not.

Yeah, when little things like human biology, archeology, and the fossil record stand in polar opposition to the advice of the FDA, I'm inclined to doubt the nanny-state eggheads. :)

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » April 14th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Here is an abstract of a real, honest to goodness study.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/91/3/535.abstract

Abstract

Background: A reduction in dietary saturated fat has generally been thought to improve cardiovascular health.

Objective: The objective of this meta-analysis was to summarize the evidence related to the association of dietary saturated fat with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD; CHD inclusive of stroke) in prospective epidemiologic studies.

Design: Twenty-one studies identified by searching MEDLINE and EMBASE databases and secondary referencing qualified for inclusion in this study. A random-effects model was used to derive composite relative risk estimates for CHD, stroke, and CVD.

Results: During 5–23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD. The pooled relative risk estimates that compared extreme quantiles of saturated fat intake were 1.07 (95% CI: 0.96, 1.19; P = 0.22) for CHD, 0.81 (95% CI: 0.62, 1.05; P = 0.11) for stroke, and 1.00 (95% CI: 0.89, 1.11; P = 0.95) for CVD. Consideration of age, sex, and study quality did not change the results.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

Received March 6, 2009.
Accepted November 25, 2009.

(bold added)
DemoDick

Postby TinaMartin » April 15th, 2011, 12:19 pm

DemoDick wrote:
TinaMartin wrote:Have to agree with Demo. There are a lot of things coming to light showing that all the things they have been saying are bad for us are not.

Yeah, when little things like human biology, archeology, and the fossil record stand in polar opposition to the advice of the FDA, I'm inclined to doubt the nanny-state eggheads. :)

Demo Dick

Don't forget how many times the food pyramid has changed, sometimes directly contradicting itself.
People also have to think about what processed "food" is doing to them. The body is not designed to process and use man made chemicals. The bodies solution is to try and make it work by storing and the attempting to remove it from storage and use it. Doing so doesn't work well. So starts the vicious cycle. I shop the outer isles and try to stay away from most stuff in a box.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Previous

Return to Off-Topic