Human medical advice needed

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby iluvk9 » February 12th, 2011, 10:59 am

8) Well, of course I am asking on a dog forum. But, hey, ya never know. :dance:

The joints in my hands have been aching every morning for a while. No big deal, as I get moving, they are okay.

This morning I woke up and my left hand (I am a right paw) was so painful. Like the bones in the knuckles and the wrist part closer to the palm. I have been taking a kickboxing class, but ironically, I haven't been to it in three days, so I don't think it is hitting the bag that hurt it. And believe me, I have one hell of a whollop. :wink:

I just got the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, thinking I need that. It says in 7 days you can feel the effects. I already take a multi and salmon oil.

I also borrowed Lenny's buffered aspirin, because I was in a lot of pain and I don't have stuff like that around for me, because thankfully I don't need OTC meds.

So, what is wrong with me? :bye: Maybe the Vet techs know. :neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » February 12th, 2011, 11:03 am

My guess (I'm not a vet tech, dr, prn, or any of those official things) - is arthritis
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » February 12th, 2011, 11:25 am

8) And that is why I asked on a dog forum.

I am thinking the same thing. Boy, it has been 5 hours since I woke up and it is just starting to lessen. But it could be Lenny's aspirin. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » February 12th, 2011, 11:33 am

I get horrible arthritis in my hand in the winter, so much that it will wake me up when it flares. It's also worse when I'm doing stuff like working on the house. It was worst while I was renovating. I started sleeping with my hands between my thighs to keep them warm. Sounds like more fun than it was, but it helped. :neutral:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby Hoyden » February 12th, 2011, 12:32 pm

I have that issue when my sjogren's syndrome flairs. I take ibuprofen, put my hands in super thick rubber gloves and put them in the hottest water I can tolerate and move them around, making fists and wiggling all my fingers.

I also get paraffin treatments for my hands at the nail salon when they hurt really bad. If I am going to physical therapy that day, my pt will tell me to take ibuprofen first, then put my hands in hot towels then massage the joints individually while my hands are still warm. I am not sure how it works, but those hand massages loosen up the tightness and relieves a lot of pain.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Tubular Toby » February 12th, 2011, 1:26 pm

amalie79 wrote: Sounds like more fun than it was, but it helped. :neutral:

:lol:

Sorry Joyce, hopefully your supplements help. I know that staying active (within your comfort level, of course) can help sometimes. Maybe your class actually helps. Those warm hand massages sound nice too.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » February 12th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Thanks for your ideas! It is better but still crummy.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » February 12th, 2011, 4:18 pm

Try adding MSM into your suppliment list. I take 1,000 mg a day. Makes a HUGE difference in the arthritis in my hip and big toe.

ETA I take 2,000 mg a day. Two 1,000mg pills
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » February 12th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Another vote here for arthritis. I have pretty severe arthritis in my right foot and what you're describing sounds just like it. It's worse in the morning and it's worse when it's when, cold doesn't affect it nearly as much as wet does. Sorry you have to deal with that, it's a bummer. :neutral:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby FAB dogs » February 12th, 2011, 4:43 pm

mnp13 wrote:Try adding MSM into your suppliment list. I take 1,000 mg a day. Makes a HUGE difference in the arthritis in my hip and big toe.

This. I actually bought the MSM for the dogs but it works wonders on my hips and the elbow I broke a few years back.
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby TinaMartin » February 12th, 2011, 4:53 pm

Another option is cold press flax seed oil it helps to lubricate the joints.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Malli » February 12th, 2011, 4:58 pm

yep, sounds like arthritis to me (but I'm just a vet assistant who got nosey and learned a lot at work! ;) )

Giving yourself a moderate level of activity does definitely help dogs, and I can assume the same for people.

People NSAIDs include Ibuprofen and Advil, they should make you feel much better, and because they help with inflammation, they do help to slow the process of Arthritis, at least in dogs, I assume its the same with people ;) It would make sense.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitsnok » February 12th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Do you know which knuckles are hurting specifically? I know it's hard to tell but that's a pretty important factor when it comes to determining what type of arthritis it could be. Also, is one hand worse than the other, or is the pain symmetrical?
One characteristic of Rheumatoid Arthritis is hurting in the mornings, and getting better as time passes... And Ra typically affects the smaller larger joints in your hands, while regular arthritis affects the smaller ones. Typically RA symptoms are described as being symmetrical, also.
I haven't been diagnosed with it but am about 90% sure I have it, so I've done a lot of research.

I recommend having a blood panel done checking your rheumatoid factor and ANA... just in case. And if you're going to take anything over the counter, take naproxin (aleve). It's an anti-inflammatory.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby FAB dogs » February 12th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Coconut Oil is also helpful. Not sure what in it actually helps, but it worked wonders for my arthritic dog. If it's okay to post links on the forum, I've found this one to be incredibly helpful when looking for help with medical condtions:

http://earthclinic.com
Tina
Avery - Southpawz Elf Queen, CGC- Siberian Psycho Terrier
Brogan - Southpawz Mystery Man, CGC - Ephelis Spaniel
Fenway - Southpawz 4 Yawkey Way -Bull Collie
And the crazy cats
FAB dogs
Just Whelped

Postby BullyLady » February 12th, 2011, 5:45 pm

pitsnok wrote: And if you're going to take anything over the counter, take naproxin (aleve). It's an anti-inflammatory.

Just for the sake of exactness, ibuprofen (Advil) and aspirin are NSAIDs as well (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Naproxem (Aleve) has a reputation for being "the one" to use as an anti inflammatory but the others will also help inflammation. Also, the other major pain reliever acetaminophin (Tylenol) is NOT an anti inflammatory.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby iluvk9 » February 12th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Holy crap. For a dog forum, there are a lot of good answers here. :dance:

Now that the pain is almost gone, I will have to take notice of exactly where the pain is ( and hopefully not tomorrow morning!)

Both my hands hurt but the left was SO bad it was like 10 times worse than the right.

I almost bought the joint supplement with the MSM, but wasn't really sure what it was for. :doh:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » February 12th, 2011, 5:55 pm

My father had terrible RA-- in his sternum, even-- so bad that his wrist bones fused together on their own. He took 800 mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours for about 25 years. That kind of consistency and longevity is hell on your stomach, but it's ok as a one-off if you don't have other stomach problems. It was the only of the usual NSAIDs that really helped him. I certainly found it more effective than most-- naproxen has never done much for me, but like all drugs, it's person to person. :|

And I have also notice MSM works wonders for the dogs.

Every time I talk to someone about medical issues with themselves or their children, I start answering like I know anything, and then have to give the disclaimer that, ahem... "these things work for my dog... surely they work for your child. Oh, he's constipated? Have you tried canned pumpkin? He's itchy, you say? Have you eliminated grains?" lol

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 12th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Amalie, you're killin' me today. First with this:
I started sleeping with my hands between my thighs to keep them warm. Sounds like more fun than it was
and now this:
"these things work for my dog... surely they work for your child. Oh, he's constipated? Have you tried canned pumpkin? He's itchy, you say? Have you eliminated grains?"
you've made me spit on my keyboard twice today!

And Michelle, I have arthritis in one big toe, too! How crazy is that. I'm fortunate in that I only feel it when it's dreadfully cold outside and I have to be out in it. Other than that I forget about it.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » February 12th, 2011, 9:04 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Amalie, you're killin' me today. First with this:
I started sleeping with my hands between my thighs to keep them warm. Sounds like more fun than it was

lmao

And Michelle, I have arthritis in one big toe, too! How crazy is that. I'm fortunate in that I only feel it when it's dreadfully cold outside and I have to be out in it. Other than that I forget about it.

It's in the first joint of my right big toe - or the second, not sure. the one that connects it to my foot. A few years ago it was horrible to the point where I was limping constantly. My Dr. decided that a cortisone shot would help. I decided to try it, and when they pulled out the 1.5 inch long needle to stick between my first and second toes I think I turned gray because the nurse got really attentive all of a sudden. They used some sort of numbing stuff so that "I wouldn't feel it," well, I did.

After three days, I could walk normally again... and honestly, it was a good deal better for probably 3 years. Every so often it acts up, but the thought of that needle makes me want to puke.

I definitely know when I have been lax in taking my MSM, that stuff is a godsend.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amalie79 » February 12th, 2011, 9:55 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Amalie, you're killin' me today. First with this:
and now this:
"these things work for my dog... surely they work for your child. Oh, he's constipated? Have you tried canned pumpkin? He's itchy, you say? Have you eliminated grains?"
you've made me spit on my keyboard twice today!

Eh. I've decided it's time to put down the facade that suggests I have any shame.

Also, it's not that different with babies, except for constipation it's apple juice, and for the itchies it's glutens and legumes.

It's funny 'cause it's true. Kids. They're just like dogs. :neutral:

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Off-Topic