DEBATE: No-kill rescues - good or bad?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby copperlegend » January 10th, 2011, 12:40 pm

I think it's the terminology - there is and never will be such a thing as 'no-kill'. The very term makes me feel like it's a lie, simply because it's not 100% true. But then again saying the "try really hard to place animals and only put down those that are sick or totally unadoptable" movement / rescue / shelter isn't as catchy.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » January 10th, 2011, 12:58 pm

I have very mixed emotions about this whole subject. On the one hand I'm very anti-euthanasia unless it's for health (and therefor resulting in quality-of-life issues) - on the other hand I think that warehousing healthy dogs for years and years is in itself a form of cruelty.
When I watch "Pit Bulls and Parolees" I often wonder about those 200 dogs who are pretty much kenneled 24/7, and it breaks my heart.
I think certain breeds crave human interaction more than others... and Pit Bulls especially.
Yes... Tias dogs are fed, have clean housing, and are vetted - but they have very little actual meaningful contact w/people. :(
My boys thrive on - and live for - being around me and other people. Daisy is more aloof and doesn't have the constant need to be right there w/me... she's perfectly content to chill on her pillow, by herself, in another room. Still, I can't imagine what it would do to all three of them if they had to live in cages for years, without getting individual quality time every single day.
Dogs are pack animals, even if their pack consists of humans. I don't think they do well being isolated and kenneled.
Having said that - I also can't imagine euthanizing healthy animals for the sake of space or convenience.
I personally couldn't do it.

The ideal solution would be responsible pet owners who realize that their pet is a living, breathing, "feeling" being, and should be treated as such.
Spay and neuter. Stop contributing to the pet over-population by being an irresponsible ass. Stop treating pets as a disposable commodity. Be just a quarter as loyal to your pet as he/she is to you.

Of course, it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » January 10th, 2011, 11:20 pm

The ideal solution would be responsible pet owners who realize that their pet is a living, breathing, "feeling" being, and should be treated as such.
Spay and neuter. Stop contributing to the pet over-population by being an irresponsible ass. Stop treating pets as a disposable commodity. Be just a quarter as loyal to your pet as he/she is to you

and when we hit here...shelters won't be needed.
airwalk
I live here

Previous

Return to Off-Topic