Dr. Dodman on Fresh Air

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby amalie79 » November 23rd, 2010, 10:25 am

Dr. Nick Dodman is on Fresh Air this evening-- he's talking about caring for senior/geriatric pets and their issues, as well as end of life decisions. It's a topic that's particularly near and dear to me right now, so you know I'll be listening.

Looks like they've been soliciting questions and pictures on the Fresh Air blog for those of you interested:

http://nprfreshair.tumblr.com/post/1649229269/do-you-have-an-older-dog-have-any-questions
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » November 23rd, 2010, 5:03 pm

I never heard of Dodman or Fresh Air. 8) But thanks for the link. I recently realized my dogs are older :o and there seems to be a lot of good questions already asked and answered.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amalie79 » November 23rd, 2010, 8:33 pm

Fresh Air is a radio interview show that airs on NPR. Dr. Dodman is one of the foremost behavioral vets-- he's based at the Cummings School at Tufts. If you watch much Animal Planet, he does some talking head stuff on there. He's said some things I might take issue with, but I think they were taken out of context, so... :neutral: yeah. He has a nice balance of holistic and traditional medicine, and is actively opposed to BSL. He also does blogs on Victoria Stilwell's site and on Ian Dunbar's DogstarDaily.

With Simon, we are currently tackling incontinence, arthritis, canine dementia, neuromuscular problems, and the usuals (hearing/vision loss, etc.), so this was important for me. I especially appreciated his thoughts on how to determine when enough is enough, and how to weigh the benefits with the suffering that some medical procedures might cause-- and I felt good when I came home and Simon "ran" (much as he can) to the door to see me with a big smile on his face. :)

Here's the link to the podcast:
http://www.npr.org/2010/11/22/131516152/helping-your-good-old-dog-navigate-aging
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Return to Off-Topic