Remembrance day ceremonies and the dog?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Malli » November 10th, 2010, 4:39 pm

I was thinking about attending the remembrance day ceremony with Oscar tomorrow, we can walk to the park where they'll have it.

We went last year and the only thing that bothered ME about dogs at the ceremony that other people brought was the ones that wouldn't sit still or shut the f--- up. Oscar on the other hand, can be quiet and hold a down or a sit politely.

I'm not sure about any potential insult it may cause, though? :|

I don't want to offend those the ceremony is meant to honor...

Just thought I'd check here in case anyone can think of an issue...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » November 10th, 2010, 4:59 pm

What insult do you think it would cause? I'm not understanding...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » November 10th, 2010, 7:47 pm

Are you going to tell them to shut the f---up? 8)
Because if you are, I would like a video of it. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » November 11th, 2010, 5:39 am

I dunno. I thought maybe that some people would find bringing him disrespectful. :| Maybe like I was making a mockery of it? I don't really know how it would be insulting, to be honest, I just got the impression there was a possibility it might anger someone :lol3:

You see, this is coming from a person who easily values her dog as much as she does most other people, and I know most other people don't think that way, so... :wink:

The concensus on facebook so far is that if he has "respectful" behavior it should be totally fine and inoffensive...

I just wanted to make sure, because, like I said, the ceremony is to honor these people...

The way I see it, he should go, because they are protecting his quality of life as well!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » November 11th, 2010, 6:47 am

I think a well behaved dog would add to the decorum of an event. Do you have a bandana with Canada's colors? Maybe that would clinch the deal to people who are there.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » November 11th, 2010, 4:38 pm

success! :)

He sat like a pro, even though it was uncomfortable (probably for 35 minutes) and cold, and rainy.

And, he behaved himself while like 10 dogs walked by within feet of him.

He got many smiles and not one scowl that I noted.

He did not wear Canada's colors because I have a red and white bandana but it is a copy of the flag and I wasn't sure how respectful that was to the flag.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Tubular Toby » November 11th, 2010, 5:41 pm

I don't see a problem with taking a dog to events like these if they are well behaved. Taking a barking or otherwise obnoxious dog isn't so cool.

At Petco there is a computer for employees that had news articles posted for Petco's across the nation that talks about upcoming events, customer service and stuff like that. They also post photos of the week that they select from our flickr group. At one time they posted a picture of a dog at a soldier memorial/cemetery. The dog was seemingly well behaved and sitting on a low concrete wall with the cemetery in the background. I think it was posted around the 4th of July. Several people, but one in particular, flew off the handle at how disrespectful it was to have a dog there and how dogs just piss on graves and went on and on (there is a comment section). It puzzled me because the dog was obviously well behaved, was not pissing on (or even standing near) any graves. The majority of the people told him kindly to shut up, even several veterans said that they saw nothing wrong with the picture.

I guess some people are just really touchy.

Glad to hear it went well though!
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby amazincc » November 12th, 2010, 12:19 am

Malli wrote:success! :)

He sat like a pro, even though it was uncomfortable (probably for 35 minutes) and cold, and rainy.

And, he behaved himself while like 10 dogs walked by within feet of him.

He got many smiles and not one scowl that I noted.

:clap: That's my boy!!! :D

(I don't know why I feel like taking credit for this, but I do... :| :oops: lol)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » November 12th, 2010, 1:44 am

You can HAVE the credit! :D

some may also go to the walk to get to the ceremony and the pinch collar...
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Off-Topic