Offical Press Release.

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby ArtGypsy » September 11th, 2010, 7:24 pm

I just wanted to post the official press release for the play.....( I hope I'm not overposting this 'story) :?
A year and a half ago I would never have dreamed her story would have gotten 'this big'...My ranting, my talking, writing, my Cries for Justice Propelled an Energy I Could Not Contain or Explain.

But Now We Have This Amazing piece of Art written by an incredible Playwright and Produced by the reputable Judy Hart (who Won Awards for Mary Pipher's Reviving Ophelia and The Lives of Afghanistan Woman>
The Lied Center in Lincoln Nebraska is a venue far beyond any we could have imagined when Becky Boesen approached me to write our story.
My Amanda...a vivacious, Energetic, Enthusiastic Young Mother Taken All Too Soon,
Taken Despite Our Pleas, Our Cries, Our Outrage.
All the While, Trying to Keep Faith in a System That Let Her Fall.
****But Amanda...............they're Listening Now, Baby.
Your Voice Will Be Heard Now.

Thank you to all my PBT friends....you have encouraged, supported and held me up during the unthinkable.
And Still, We Are Far From the "End" of the Story----the Trial is to Begin Nov. 1st.
The last showing of the Play: Oct. 29th.

**At My Insistence, there is a Fund, Voices For Amanda, that accepts donations so that women who are in shelters and treatment facilities, will have an opportunity to see the play. The Very thought that a Topic this Important would be 'locked away' for women (many like my daughter), who have barriers preventing them from walking into that lush theatre, with it's winding carpeted stairs and Burgundy Velvet Ropes.
PM me if anyone would like to contribute to this fund.**

http://www.liedcenter.org/about/

“IN MY DAUGHTER’S NAME”
A DAUGHTER LOST TO VIOLENCE - A MOTHER’S SEARCH FOR ANSWERS...

PLAY TO PREMIERE AT LIED IN OCTOBER

The Angels Theatre Company has announced that a new play based on the murder of a young woman by a former boyfriend will premiere in October at the Lied Center’s Johnny Carson Theatre in Lincoln. “In My Daughter’s Name” is by Becky Key Boesen, Lincoln playwright and actress. It will be directed by Judith K. Hart, a member of Actors’ Equity Association and founder of the Angels Theatre Company.

THE STORY
The play is inspired by the life and death of Amanda Thomas, the 27-year-old mother of two young children. On February 28, 2009 in Hannibal Missouri, Amanda was attacked while she slept, and stabbed to death by Manuel Cazares, her former domestic partner.

THE PLAY
The play begins when the playwright, a young mother herself, meets Jody - Amanda’s mother, who lives in Utica, Nebraska. Their discussion focuses on memories of Amanda as a child and explores the events leading up to Amanda’s death, including the system loopholes she encountered while seeking protection from the father of her child. It is a play written to raise questions and awareness regarding domestic violence and to encourage dialogue among victims, advocates, law enforcement, first responders and community members.

Central themes in the play are human relationships, the cycle of violence, self-esteem, control issues and the need for unconditional love.

The Angels Theatre Company’s goal for this production is to work with local social service organizations to educate women, men and families about domestic violence; to educate theatre-goers about the community resources available for those facing violent situations in their own lives; and to encourage action to assist those in need of help.

PERFORMANCES
The play will be presented at 7:30 p.m. October 22 through 24 and October 26 through 29. All performances are in the Lied Center’s Johnny Carson Theater, and each will be followed by a facilitated discussion.

A 2 p.m. performance also is scheduled for Sunday October 24. It will be followed by a formal panel discussion focusing on community resources.

Tickets are $20 for general admission, $15 for students and seniors, and $10 for groups of 10 or more.
More information and tickets are available at www.angelscompany.org or by calling 402-474-2206.

COMMUNITY PARTNERS include
Lied Center for Performing Arts
Voices of Hope
Nebraska Domestic Violence Sexual Assault Coalition
Hope Crisis Center
ACLU Nebraska
Lincoln Soroptimists
Woods Charitable Fund
Nebraska Arts Council

THE COMPANY
Judith K. Hart founded the Angels Theatre Company in 1992. Its mission is to provide opportunities for Lincoln talent, to nurture original works, to promote and encourage professional artistic growth and to give each company member access to a community of supportive individuals.

Hart is a recipient of the Mayor’s Arts Award, and the Angels Theatre Company has received the Mayor’s Arts Awards for productions of “The Train” in 2007 and “Reviving Ophelia” in 2009.
The Angels Company looks at global issues through performance and they put women at the center of everything they do!

MEDIA NOTES
Rehearsal will begin September 12. Media are invited to attend rehearsal and take photos or record video by appointment.

Contacts:

• Angels Theatre Company - www.angelscompany.org
• Playwright Becky Key Boesen - bkh76@hotmail.com
• Director Judith Hart - 474-2206, judithkhart@aol.com
• Jody Schaubroeck (mother of Amanda Thomas) - on Facebook at “Voices for Amanda”
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 11th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Do you know if there's any talk of the play traveling elsewhere? I'd love to see it...

And don't ever be afraid that you're "overposting" it. We're your friends and we support you 100%. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » September 11th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Of course they would "love" to have the play go national....opening in 'sister theaters'.....

Thank you for the kind words....you guys have been wonderful to me.......
ArtGypsy

Postby hugapitbull » September 12th, 2010, 8:06 am

We can only hope it gives others the strength to remove themselves from the same situation. This must be a great day in your life.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » September 12th, 2010, 8:13 am

Part of me is in awe over the strength you have, and part of me still cries for your loss, every time I read an update.

What is truly wonderful is that you have taken a horrific situation and found a way to help others. That has to be the highest Act of Kindness imaginable.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » September 12th, 2010, 4:28 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Part of me is in awe over the strength you have, and part of me still cries for your loss, every time I read an update.

What is truly wonderful is that you have taken a horrific situation and found a way to help others. That has to be the highest Act of Kindness imaginable.

Oh Joyce..... :rolleyes2: You Understand.
:+)

Sometimes It's the Only Way I can Bear the ache is
the Thought of Her Story Helping Others Climb from their Own Hell.

You Are a Dear...........thank you all......
ArtGypsy

Postby TinaMartin » September 14th, 2010, 9:47 am

Your strength gives others hope!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby plebayo » September 14th, 2010, 9:51 am

This is great that this all came to fruition. I wish it was national too 'cause not only would I like to see it but this is a story that needs to be heard.

Your strength is amazing. :hug3:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Return to Off-Topic