Anyone know about windows?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby amazincc » August 22nd, 2010, 3:56 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Super glue is very brittle and is not very strong overall

Tell that to my thumb and index finger... >(

lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » August 22nd, 2010, 4:03 pm

Here is what I would do...

Clean up all of the stuff you have put on the crank and window casing over the last two days. Epoxy sets using a chemical reaction, construction adhesive cures with air, who knows how they react to each other. They may cause each other to never harden at all. Scrape everything off, then get all the residue off. I'm not sure how, you'll have to experiment a little. Try paint thinner, rubbing alcohol, goo gone (it removes just about anything - including paint so be careful - and will get you high so be careful), try one thing at a time, and don't mix them!!!! one of them will take the residue off.

Once all of it is removed, rough up under side of the crank part with some 60 grit sand paper. Use a pencil to trace a line on the window sill around where the crank part sits. Use sand paper to make the window sill under the crank part rough as well. Now the epoxy has something to grab on to. When you crank the window out, you are putting a lot of force on that joint - you need to give that stuff as much surface area as possible to hold.

Get some JB Weld. It's a brand of epoxy, there are two kinds. JB Weld and JB Quick, the Quick sets in 5 minutes, so let's give you some time. You can get it at any hardware store.

now mix the JB weld, spread it, and put the crank where it belongs and clamp it in place. Leave it for a day. If that doesn't hold, well, I don't know what to tell you...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » August 22nd, 2010, 4:04 pm

amazincc wrote:
mnp13 wrote:
Super glue is very brittle and is not very strong overall

Tell that to my thumb and index finger... >(

lmao

well... compared to the other materials involved!

stronger than skin? yes. Metal? no.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » August 22nd, 2010, 4:25 pm

mnp13 wrote:
1 - you used epoxy yesterday. What happened to the epoxy?

It turned to hard, brittle clear material. I chipped it off afterwards.
2 - how did you prepare the surfaces for the epoxy before you used it?

:shocker: Umm.....
3 - how did you prepare the surfaces for the construction adhesive?

:sad2: Umm...
mnp13 wrote:Here is what I would do...

I will do EXACTLY what you suggested. :dance:

Here is the other problem, I am seeing. The piece I am gluing seems to have had a metal piece that is attached by screws on the other side of the window. I think the piece I am trying to stick back on, broke off from the metal, which was sort of like a plate. So, no matter how much I epoxy, I am just trying to make it stick to the window frame, and I don't know it will be enough support because of the pressure from cranking it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » August 22nd, 2010, 4:30 pm

Good Lord, Joyce... just have Jimmy and his wife over for dinner (preferably take-out or catered), and ask him to fix the window for you. :wink:

I'm starting to become afraid that you'll blow yourself up trying to do it yourself. :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » August 23rd, 2010, 8:22 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Here is the other problem, I am seeing. The piece I am gluing seems to have had a metal piece that is attached by screws on the other side of the window. I think the piece I am trying to stick back on, broke off from the metal, which was sort of like a plate. So, no matter how much I epoxy, I am just trying to make it stick to the window frame, and I don't know it will be enough support because of the pressure from cranking it.

Well, THAT changes EVERYTHING! You're probably right on both counts, and you're probably wasting your time... lol

but give it a try, and see how long it holds -

And then call Anderson and have a holy screaming fit... politely of course... and make them honor their lifetime warrenty and come out and fix the damn thing.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » August 23rd, 2010, 9:09 pm

I had to NOT deal with it today, because I was so angry at the window. :mad2:

I am going to try another phone call. :rolleyes2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » August 26th, 2010, 5:53 am

Well, it looks like any amount of gluey stuff will not help. The metal piece broke off and it is the support part.

The good news, is that a friend in NC is helping me get a replacement. I emailed him the photos and my sad story and has already made phone calls to the manufacturer of the part.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Previous

Return to Off-Topic