Anyone know about windows?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby iluvk9 » August 20th, 2010, 3:01 pm

I have to get a replacement for the "right, split arm opener". The handle and other white piece have come off the window. Sort of "not glued" in anymore. Sort of. :dance:

This is the left one:

SO...I have am trying to find a replacement, and I think I did, BUT they are asking questions. :shock:

1) Is my window a casement?
2) Is it a single hung?
3) Is it a double hung?
4) Do you think I could just get real good glue stuff and reattach the white piece? The inside gear things seem to work if I hold the white piece and use the crank.

All I know is that the middle one is stationary. The two side ones crank open. Can anyone tell me what the hell I own? :sad2:

Full view:

Window that does work. I took the screen out so you can see it better.

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » August 20th, 2010, 3:40 pm

Casement

Should be easy enough to replace the crank if it is worn
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby iluvk9 » August 20th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Thanks, Matt. :)

The crank thing works, it just seems to have unattached itself from the window part.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » August 20th, 2010, 4:00 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Thanks, Matt. :)

The crank thing works, it just seems to have unattached itself from the window part.

Just the handle?
maberi

Postby iluvk9 » August 20th, 2010, 4:06 pm

See the handle? Well that fat white part that it goes into,is what became unattached to the window. So, when you try the crank/handle, the whole thing just wobbles and separates. The crank/handle still connects to that fat white part.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » August 20th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Here is a photo of the broken one.

If I hold it all in place, I can sort of use the window.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » August 20th, 2010, 4:31 pm

I'll take a peek at my casement window when I get home today and get back to you. If there are no screws that secure the fat white part :wink: to the window it may have been mortised
maberi

Postby maberi » August 20th, 2010, 4:48 pm

PS - You don't happen to know who made your windows do you?
maberi

Postby Malli » August 20th, 2010, 5:33 pm

wes says

1) is yes

2) and 3) are irrelevant because it is a casement window

4)Hhe says it was glued in the first place so it should be able to just be re-glued. He says high end apoxy would be what you want, should be about $15 cdn. Follow the directions on the glue exactly, you should be able to just hold it in place until the glue sets (he figures 5-10 minutes), but then you wouldn't want to use the window for the rest of the day while it all cures.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » August 20th, 2010, 6:42 pm

maberi wrote: If there are no screws that secure the fat white part :wink: to the window it may have been mortised

I don't see any screws so I guess it is mortised (which I hope means glued).

They are made by American Craftsman, thru Anderson, bought at Home Depot. Guy there said to call them because the part is free. Lady on the phone said I needed a receipt from 8 years ago :rolleyes2: OR the number on the tiny paper on the window that has obviously been faded or I washed off. :| She was not impressed with my description of the broken piece and "can't send me a replacement without the correct numbers". :bs:

I found the company name on the piece (http://www.truth.com) and figured I would buy one from them, but then I ran into the casement/single hung questions.

Malli wrote:wes says ....

4)Hhe says it was glued in the first place so it should be able to just be re-glued. He says high end apoxy would be what you want, should be about $15 cdn. Follow the directions on the glue exactly, you should be able to just hold it in place until the glue sets (he figures 5-10 minutes), but then you wouldn't want to use the window for the rest of the day while it all cures.

Thank Wes for me. :dance: I just KNOW it can be glued because I am so freaking stubborn, I will just glue it anyway. What is "$15 cdn" in American words? Is that the price?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » August 20th, 2010, 6:58 pm

DUH :doh: I just realized you probably meant $15. CANADIAN money. 8) I thought it was some secret window code. :neener:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » August 21st, 2010, 1:41 am

lol, secret window code :lol3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » August 21st, 2010, 5:49 pm

I did it! :dance: And yes, I am damn proud of myself. I even used one of those clamp things that squeeze things together.

Thanks, Matt, Mallika and Wes. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » August 22nd, 2010, 12:55 am

GOOD JOB JOYCE!!!!

Woo Hoo!

Next thing you know, we'll have you cooking!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » August 22nd, 2010, 5:26 am

:clap:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » August 22nd, 2010, 8:11 am

:oops:
Okay.....forget about the party for me.....

This morning I tried the window and the apoxy stuff wasn't strong enough. The thing came unglued.

I am going to try this stuff in a tube that you use one of those metal things that you use to squeeze caulk out with, called "PL Premium". It is a polyurethane construction adhesive. (Yes, I got those words off the label.) Someone that did construction at my house used it all the time for tough projects. It holds "anything"together.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053

I am not giving up because I KNOW it can be done now, it just needs the strongest stuff made since there is a lot of pressure on the white thing I am gluing.

Cooking just MAY be easier. Damn it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » August 22nd, 2010, 8:48 am

Wow Joyce, you are being so handy this weekend. :wink:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » August 22nd, 2010, 1:01 pm

Oh, Missy.... :sad2: This window thing is going to be the end of me....

The PU Premium has been on for 2 hours and I don't feel like it is working. :( It isn't fully dried and it is humid out, so I will wait and see before I try it.

I guess having one window not usable isn't such a bad thing in the scheme of life. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » August 22nd, 2010, 2:14 pm

Seriously... I would try using super glue. That stuff holds ANYTHING together, and it only takes a few minutes to dry. :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » August 22nd, 2010, 3:48 pm

Ok. STOP.

1 - you used epoxy yesterday. What happened to the epoxy?

2 - how did you prepare the surfaces for the epoxy before you used it?

3 - now you are using construction adhesive, where did the epoxy go? did you remove it? how did you prepare the surfaces for the construction adhesive?

Super glue is very brittle and is not very strong overall, especially when there are shearing forces involved, as there will be when she uses the crank for the window.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Off-Topic