Thinking of changing my major??

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Muttkip » June 28th, 2010, 11:57 pm

I'm bored and I need to ramble to someone :)

Well I start my first semester of college here in August...

Back story on that is....I took a year off from school when I graduated in 2008, was going to go to college, but got a job at Petco as a bather, lost said job...then went through a horrible and VERY traumatic break-up, almost joined the Army, but was rejected due to bad hips...thus now I start college soon...to make a long story short.

Anyways, my original major was Biology....changed to recently when I signed up for my classes to Agriculture Education....basicaly meaning I would be an Ag. Teacher at a high school, teaching everything from Welding to cow breeds and everything in between. I'd also be the FFA advisor as well! I LOVE the FFA and everything that has to do with it. I was very involved with it in High School and still help out with the FFA now when I can. I even do some teaching and grooming dementsrations as well, I love my old Ag. Teacher and she's the main reason I want to be an Ag. Teacher.

But now I'm thinking of changing it to Vet. Tech, because ever since I was 3 or 4 I've ALWAYS dreamed of being a Vet. Tech, but I don't know. I want to work with animals, mainly dogs . I LOVE animals and I LOVE working with them. I get along better with dogs then I do people, but who doesn't?! lol

Anyways.....what you guys think I should do? Should I swap my major or wait it out and see?
Muttkip
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » June 29th, 2010, 5:40 am

I think you should do what your hearts desire tells you to do!

I would imagine some of the basic freshman courses are the same for any degree, so get your butt into college and after a few semesters you will find the right path for yourself!

GOOD LUCK reaching your goal and CONGRATULATIONS on moving ahead with your life! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » June 29th, 2010, 8:13 am

I'm with Joyce on this. You probably still have several gen eds to get out of the way and can still change your major later.

Can you do Vet Tech as a major at the same college you have been attending or would you change colleges? I only ask because I don't know if Vet Tech is a 4 year degree.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby PetieMarie22 » June 29th, 2010, 9:08 am

I changed my major in college three times and I still work in a job that has nothing to do with my degree. (I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up and I'm in my thirties!) So agreed, just worry about gen eds while you figure it out.
Just getting a college degree was a MAJOR accomplishment for me. A lot of crappy stuff happened to me and I almost dropped out a few times. I love looking back at my pictures of me on graduation day. It's not an easy journey, but it's quite and accomplishment in the end! No matter what classes you take. Good luck!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby madremissy » June 29th, 2010, 9:29 am

I agree with getting in there now to start your pre reqs. I will be done with mine next quarter and then I have the opportunity to go into whatever I want. I am set on nursing but I still have the opportunity to do whatever I want. The pre reqs have to be done first. Go ahead and sign up for those and get started. Maybe while you are taking them you can talk to more people and decided what you would like to do. Good luck to you.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » June 29th, 2010, 9:54 am

I changed my major halfway through...but yeah, the foundation classes were still the same for both...(I went to art school). My original major was Graphic Arts, but I decided it just wasn't for me...and went just General Fine Arts, so I could just soak up all types of art...lol. Go with your gut...but take your time...don't rush anything. ;) Sounds like you're passionate about both things...:D

I've got my BFA...and I'm a dog trainer! lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Natalie » June 29th, 2010, 11:00 am

I agree with everyone else. Get through the first year with whatever major is currently declared as the courses will likely be identical.

In the meantime, do some research. Get info about both programs.

You know what the job of Ag teacher entails, but don't forget that MOST of your college classes will be in curriculum and instruction and a very small portion of your classes will be in Ag. Typically, you only need to have taken 12 college credits in a field in order to teach it once you are certified. That's less than a full semester's load.

See if you can shadow a vet tech, or volunteer at a teaching vet clinic. And remember, although you love dogs more than people, it's the people (dog's owners) who you have to deal with. You have to communicate with the owners in order to get enough information to make the right decisions for the animal, and to give instructions to administer at-home care. Fido can't take himself to the vet!

Good luck!
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » June 29th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Natalie wrote: And remember, although you love dogs more than people, it's the people (dog's owners) who you have to deal with. You have to communicate with the owners in order to get enough information to make the right decisions for the animal, and to give instructions to administer at-home care.

Good comment, Natalie. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » June 29th, 2010, 10:42 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
Natalie wrote: And remember, although you love dogs more than people, it's the people (dog's owners) who you have to deal with. You have to communicate with the owners in order to get enough information to make the right decisions for the animal, and to give instructions to administer at-home care.

Good comment, Natalie. :)

Definitely a great comment...people tell me all of the time..."Oh, I'd love to be a pet-sitter/dog trainer like you...I LOVE animals more than people." But yeah...most people forget or don't realize how much it involves good people skills! :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Off-Topic