It's All About Me

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby plebayo » May 4th, 2010, 1:11 am

Well... this thread anyway.

I've been browsing these forums more than participating and it's because a lot has been going on in my life. I'd really like to share some of these changes with you guys. I don't know that many of you are THAT interested, but whatever :p

As you may know, I am a veterinary assistant. I have worked in the same clinic for 7 years. My sister has been there 20. Anyway - it's all I've known. I have taken some college classes, and I am certified in Equine Massage but really haven't chosen a true career path. My friend's husband is a Police Officer and so is his Brother - they applied at the same time and got in together. I've gotten to hang out with a lot of their officer buddies and with them, plus we have a couple chief of police that come into our clinic. At first I thought it would be cool to do EMS, however if someone crapped on me or something I'd totally die. I really, really think, after much debate I want to be a Police Officer.

I went on my first ridealong in February and had a blast. I went during a super mellow shift but we had some interesting calls, arrested a dude, and responded to a domestic violence call. Then my sister told me at her neighborhoodwatch meeting Hillsboro Police was offering a Citizen's Academy. It's a 10 week class, totally free, you get to see what the police are all about. They cover everything, we even got to shoot eachother with simunition rounds, see what kind of damage rubber bullets can do, as well as bean bags, we also got to be dry tazed [just have it touched to you, not actually shot at.] Hillsboro as an agency seems truly one of a kind, it isn't huge, they are very community oriented. Ideally I would want to work there, they don't hire often so it's more of a pipe dream.

Through this whole class we have the chance to tour dispatch as well as the county jail. We haven't gone to the jail yet but we went to dispatch. They were hiring at the time so I applied. I made it in to take the aptitude test, this week we'll find out if I get an interview. I doubt I will... the test was hard in that you really don't know what exactly they are looking for, but hey, I tried.

So - I've given myself a goal of getting in shape/losing weight by the fall [I've already dropped 20lbs] to apply to become a police officer at a couple of the agencies around here. If I don't meet that goal I will probably go to school for my criminology degree. I got a gym membership and have been working out 6 days a week in the AM. The reason for getting in shape is I need to be in shape enough to pass the physical test [google ORPAT], it doesn't look that hard, but I'm told it's more involved than it looks.

Well - this is what I've been up to... After the Citizen's Academy we get to do a ridealong with Hillsboro, I also signed up for one in Scappoose [ a little hick town]. I might do a couple more citizen's academies just to get a feel for other agencies, and maybe make some more friends along the way.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby BullyLady » May 4th, 2010, 1:52 am

It's good to have goals!! I flailed a little bit with choosing a career path, so I know the feeling. I also know the feeling of calmness you start to get when you get on a path and I'm really excited for you that you are experiencing that. GOOD LUCK with your fitness goals, having a reason for those goals really helps, I know you can do it!!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby iluvk9 » May 4th, 2010, 5:39 am

Hello Future Police Officer Suzanne!!! :confetti:

Will you be able to fix speeding tickets for us? :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » May 4th, 2010, 7:10 am

Sounds like you have a bunch of great goals! I'm in awe of people that want and are police officers... :D it's nothing I could ever do...so I take my hat off to you!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 4th, 2010, 7:22 am

Yay for law enforcement!!! Our cities/states are always in need of trustworthy officers who take the job seriously. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby PetieMarie22 » May 4th, 2010, 8:45 am

I often thought about becoming a Police Officer. But somehow I became a Property Manger instead. I still get to see and hear about some CRAZY stuff.
But I only get to evict people, not arrest them. I'm sure slapping handcuffs on someone is way more fun than slapping them with court papers!!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » May 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm

I really think the general public should be required to take this Citizen Academy class. I have learned SO much about law enforcement.

I don't know if Portland Police Bureau has made national news or not but lately Portland has been scrutinized for potentially using excessive force. In our Use of Force class we were able to shoot at each other. The officer teaching the class plaid the suspect who clearly had a gun. We got to be the officer and we basically had to decide at what point to shoot. It was a shoot or be shot scenario. I guess for me personally I would never antagonize an officer questioning me. I wouldn't whip my wallet out of my pocket like a gun, if they told me to put my hands in the air I would do it. People who get shot are not "normal" people. Don't get me wrong there have been legit situations where an officer has made a bad call, but it's completely stupid and reckless to not comply with someone who has the ability to kill or seriously injure you.

Anyway thanks for the support. What I really like most about the idea of law enforcement is being able to help people and work with the community. My ideal situation would be to work Patrol for 5 years and then get into a k9 unit.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » May 4th, 2010, 7:34 pm

plebayo wrote:My ideal situation would be to work Patrol for 5 years and then get into a k9 unit.

How about mounted police? Horse Lady.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » May 4th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Well - I failed the aptitude test - no dispatch for me.

iluvk9 wrote:
plebayo wrote:My ideal situation would be to work Patrol for 5 years and then get into a k9 unit.

How about mounted police? Horse Lady.

Portland has, or rather, had a mounted Police unit. I think Washington County might have one, but they rarely ride, just in parades and such. I think Portland just got rid of, or is in the process of getting rid of their mounted Police. :|
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Return to Off-Topic