Um...Jackuul?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby TinaMartin » June 2nd, 2010, 8:09 am

Your spiders are so pretty. Kaydra just got a lesson in baby spiderdom when a bunch of very pretty yellow spiders hatched out under her bicycle seat and I wouldnt let her try to move them so she could ride it. She did get to watch some of they parachute though.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Jackuul » June 2nd, 2010, 1:52 pm

I used the old carapace under the microscope, since female spiders shed their... parts - while male spiders do not. There were two tiny spermatheca as far as I could tell, but this next time she molts... it will be a heck of a lot easier to tell since she is so much bigger now. She is honestly growing a lot faster than I expected, which is good because soon she will graduate from plastic bin to glass aquarium, and have her own digs.

I just need to find some 5.5 gallon aquariums that are cheap enough to be of use. Another factor in her growth is that I keep her on my sub-woofer (I never use it, so no, she isn't gangsta) which acts as a warming pad, keeping her little place around 80F at all times, and that makes a difference in her metabolism.

Before she molted her abdomen was absolutely huge - three times the size of her prosoma (head) and I expected that after she molted she would still be fat. As you can see, she is not so fat and I attribute this to the warmth of the woofer, allowing her to undergo the fast growth and use up all the fat stores.

When she reaches about 3 inches from front left to back right leg, I will slow down on her feeding (I already am slowing down now because she is reaching the size way faster than I expected) so that she won't be obese as an adult, and will live a long and happy cricket nomming life.

@TinaMartin

You should take some pictures if you can - when some families of Araneomorphs hatch, they will drop off of anything that acts like a platform with a trail of silk behind them to carry them away so that they will have less competition to food, and so that their mom wont eat them (not always is the mother spider like this - but it happens a lot).

Mygalomorphs (including tarantulas) and Mesothelae spiders are not capable (to my knowledge) of this sort of fantastic voyage, as they lack the refined spinnerets of the Araneomorphs and are mostly earthbound (with the exception of Arboreal spiders, which can leap from a tree to hopefully find a new branch, although their vision is still so poor that they really don't know where they are going - a leap of faith so to speak).

There are more species of Araneomorphs that are venomous to humans than Mygalomorphs, and none of the Mesothelae have venom sacs, but even so less than 1% of all the families of spiders are venomous to humans while 99.99% are beneficial.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby TinaMartin » June 2nd, 2010, 2:10 pm

Unfortunately I didnt think about pics until it was to late. She got quite a spider education though! We also have black jumping spiders in our yard. I had one that for a while liked living in my mail box. Silly spider mailboxes are for mail...
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » June 2nd, 2010, 11:11 pm

I have no idea why I just looked at those pictures, I haven't opened this thread since it started how ever many months ago. That was enough for me, thank you very much. I'm going to go have a few nightmares.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Off-Topic