Um...Jackuul?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Marinepits » September 24th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Jackuul wrote:She wont bite, or flick hairs, but she runs away as if Godzilla just stomped on a store next to her whenever I say hi.

*snort* :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » September 24th, 2009, 6:32 pm

"flick hairs" ? What is that all about? :shock:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jackuul » September 30th, 2009, 10:16 pm

iluvk9 wrote:"flick hairs" ? What is that all about? :shock:

Flicking hairs is a defensive mechanism where new world tarantulas can flick the hairs from their abdomen into the eyes and face of a creature attacking them (they do this when sniffed by something, such as a rodent that might eat them) which causes irritation or death. In humans this may not cause a single issue with many species of tarantula - unless you rub your eyes after handling them.

The Genus Grammostola has notably weak urticating hairs, and although still a risk if you rub your eyes, are usually unable to cause any harm to people. I have yet to feel any irritation from holding Sweetie (who is now getting her picture on my bank card :)). However, each species and genus has its own type of hair, and the T. blondi (Goliath - and largest spider in the world) has hairs that can cause severe irritation in people (rashes). Their hair is targeted toward primates (New-world Monkeys) that may try to eat them, and since we are primates, we are susceptible as well. Aphonopelma may also cause some irritation, but as with all things, some people will have a reaction, and some people wont - even with the blondi.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » October 1st, 2009, 6:43 am

Jackuul wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:"flick hairs" ? What is that all about? :shock:

Flicking hairs is a defensive mechanism where new world tarantulas can flick the hairs from their abdomen into the eyes and face of a creature attacking them (they do this when sniffed by something, such as a rodent that might eat them) which causes irritation or death. In humans this may not cause a single issue with many species of tarantula - unless you rub your eyes after handling them.

OH. DEAR. GOD.

:shocker:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby chewbecca » October 1st, 2009, 9:03 am

Jumping spiders are SOOOOOOOOOO cute!

But I am pretty anti-anything with an exoskeleton.

It's not about a fear of them (though I think I'd DIE if one pierced my skin) by thinking they'll hurt me, it's more a fear of them...just touching me.
I fear the feel of them.
Their little exoskeleton parts with hairs sticking out their "bones".
GAH!

I'm not as bad with spiders as I am with other bugs.
I will NOT touch roaches or crickets.
My husband is responsible for feeding the roaches to the geckos as I won't TOUCH them. EVER.
Not willingly.

I deal with the worms because I can use tweezers to pick those up.
And believe me, super worms "squirt" liquid, and I found this out when one squirted liquid on me as I picked it up with tweezers.
I ABOUT DIED.
I could have cried.
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » October 1st, 2009, 9:21 am

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

See, I have no problems with spiders. I don't want them to BITE me, of course, but I just don't have that fear that so many people have. I'm actually kind of fond of them . We never kill them either..if one is in the house, we get a tissue/jar or something, and carry it outside.!

When the kids were little they'd call me to do it, but now Kelcie will be the first one to take em outside !!

((NOW COLE on the other hand, may not have an 'out and out fear', but does not LIKE them around him. he's gets all 'shuddery'...)>>> 8)
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Jackuul » October 1st, 2009, 12:44 pm

chewbecca wrote:Jumping spiders are SOOOOOOOOOO cute!

But I am pretty anti-anything with an exoskeleton.

It's not about a fear of them (though I think I'd DIE if one pierced my skin) by thinking they'll hurt me, it's more a fear of them...just touching me.
I fear the feel of them.
Their little exoskeleton parts with hairs sticking out their "bones".
GAH!

I'm not as bad with spiders as I am with other bugs.
I will NOT touch roaches or crickets.
My husband is responsible for feeding the roaches to the geckos as I won't TOUCH them. EVER.
Not willingly.

I deal with the worms because I can use tweezers to pick those up.
And believe me, super worms "squirt" liquid, and I found this out when one squirted liquid on me as I picked it up with tweezers.
I ABOUT DIED.
I could have cried.

Don't feed superworms to anything.

Ever.

They are horrible. I have seen lizards having died from those bity little bastards ripping a hole through their stomachs.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 1st, 2009, 12:52 pm

I googled "superworm." I wish I had not.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby chewbecca » October 1st, 2009, 2:12 pm

Have you PERSONALLY owned lizards that have died from a super worm eating their way out of the gut?

Because this is so a myth.

The super worm is dead by the time it makes it to my geckos' stomachs.
Seriously.
They catch them, then turn them around with their mouths until they get to the head, then they crunch the head.

Have you also heard that meal worms can eat their way through a lizard's stomach?
I've heard that one, and I can 100% say that is a TOTAL myth, too. :D

Jackuul wrote:Don't feed superworms to anything.

Ever.

They are horrible. I have seen lizards having died from those bity little bastards ripping a hole through their stomachs.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby DemoDick » October 1st, 2009, 3:22 pm

I like spiders. I like anything that hunts, especially apex predators. :wink:

I couldn't keep one as a pet though, they are too fragile for me, and it's tough to find a prong to fit them.

More spiders=less mosquitos. Apparently, I am a mosquito delicacy, as they attack me mercilessly in the summer months. So the more spiders on my property, the better (shut up Michelle or I'll put one in your hair). I've never gotten the heeby-jeebies from any animal. We used to have snakes, lizards, spiders, rats, mice, etc. in my 7th grade science class and the girls used to freak out at the snakes and spiders. I've never understood that.

Then again, I had to be told politely that I couldn't "play with the Gulo gulo" at the predator farm outside Bozeman, MT. They gave me a tiger and lion cub instead. :crazy2:

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby chewbecca » October 1st, 2009, 3:48 pm

Wow, Demo Dick.
I JUST caught your signature line.

WOW.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby maberi » October 1st, 2009, 4:05 pm

Thanks for making me have to look up Gulo gulo
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby DemoDick » October 1st, 2009, 4:29 pm

maberi wrote:Thanks for making me have to look up Gulo gulo

Where I come from the old-timers call them Skunk Bears, but that is a very undignified name for one of the most bad-ass of all animals.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

\thread derail now...

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby Jackuul » October 2nd, 2009, 12:58 am

Well, as for them being fragile, there are some that will try to take you down the moment you disturb their habitats. If you get a particularly mean one which would, of course, be display only - it may even threaten you without you opening the top.

They're Old World Tarantulas, and many have some medically significant venom that is quite potent, and they lack urticating hairs. The venoms from these old-worlders, depending on species and your susceptibility to them, could send you to the hospital with convulsions and such. However, even without treatment (which is of just the symptoms) unless you have an allergic reaction you will live.

One of the more ferocious is the Orange Baboon Tarantula, sometimes called the OBT and Orange Bitey Thing. However, you're only going to get tagged if you eff with it.

As for durability, rosehairs are tanks. They live in spite of how poorly they are kept sometimes, and as a desert species are quite capable of living in a wide range of temperatures. You can't put anything on them, but you can watch them take down crickets and roaches with incredible ease (and sometimes, if they have more than one, they will kill them in succession and stuff them in their mouths as they go - creating a ball of dead bugs). They thrive on neglect, as long as they have a water dish and a few (4-8) crickets a month.

They are fragile when it comes to falls, as they are not built for climbing and are rather poor at it (roses and other terrestrials) but otherwise they are pretty robust and capable of fending for themselves.

The only other major concern is that anything fed must be captive bred, or you risk contamination - just like the most robust fish, any poison contaminants can kill it pretty quick (do not spray blah blah blah around fish - etc). Additionally nematodes are another reason.

Any major predator might be invulnerable or nearly so to almost everything - except the tiny insidious things that kill you from the inside, or unnatural chemicals that would never normally be encountered.

Also, if you are ever in Texas there are many species of Aphonopelma that reside around there, and they are also found up here in Colorado, in Cali, in Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona - and there are some even as far north as Oklahoma and Arkansas, and possibly Missouri and Kansas still.

Given a few hundred thousand years and enough incentive to spread, they would probably make it to New York and spread all the way to the deep south.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » October 2nd, 2009, 6:51 am

They are fragile when it comes to falls, as they are not built for climbing and are rather poor at it (roses and other terrestrials) but otherwise they are pretty robust and capable of fending for themselves.

When I use the term "fragile" I am specifically talking abut physical durability. I watched a tarantula get dropped onto a tile floor and knew they weren't for me.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby Marinepits » October 2nd, 2009, 5:16 pm

Jackuul wrote:
One of the more ferocious is the Orange Baboon Tarantula, sometimes called the OBT and Orange Bitey Thing. However, you're only going to get tagged if you eff with it.

Okay, that's one of the best nicknames EVER! :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Pit♥bull » October 3rd, 2009, 7:02 am

I get the 'crawlies' just following this topic...
:crazy2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 3rd, 2009, 8:11 am

I get the crawlies with your avatar. >(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » October 3rd, 2009, 10:34 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I get the crawlies with your avatar. >(

Me too!!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » October 3rd, 2009, 2:32 pm

DemoDick wrote:
maberi wrote:Thanks for making me have to look up Gulo gulo

Where I come from the old-timers call them Skunk Bears, but that is a very undignified name for one of the most bad-ass of all animals.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

\thread derail now...

Demo Dick

i want one
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic